German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, was doing some reading earlier today and came across this group and after reading for a good bit.... just decided to join. My wife, son, daughter and I own two GSD's Millie & Cersie (Mille now 5 and Cersie a year and a half). Millie was a rescue we got 3 years ago and before have never owned a GSD (definitely the only breed we'll ever have again for the rest of our lives now). From the beginning she's always been a nervous dog and sadly we suspect she came from abusive owners in the past. The first year she came a really long way (at one point was afraid of certain rooms in our house etc.), and then we thought that getting a second might help her come out of her shell even more so a year and a half ago, we got Cersie from a local breeder. A loving family and a friend have definitely helped Millie even more, she's definitely now the sweetheart of the two. Cersie has definitely sold me on the breed, she's undoubtedly the most amazing dog I've ever owned. We've done obedience training and have recently also started working with a local LEO who runs a K9 unit locally on some more advanced training and she's excelling. Crazy smart, loyal and loves our whole family. Hope to continue learning from this forum and chat with you all. Pics attached. Cersie - black, Millie - white.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey There and Welcome! Beautiful dogs. After getting my GSD I am also sold on the breed. They are amazingly loyal and sweet companions.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
Great balance there with good looking dogs! Hope you'll stick around. Sometimes a young maturing female can start to assert herself towards the older female. She may or may never.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcome folks! I'm sure I'll be engaged in many forums here along the way. I'll say one thing about my Cersie...... I like to come down to my basement mancave every night and watch TV and wind down. She lies right on my lap and thank god for it as she's prevents me from irrationally commenting on social media and news forums when I get wound up after reading them lol!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great balance there with good looking dogs! Hope you'll stick around. Sometimes a young maturing female can start to assert herself towards the older female. She may or may never.
That's a great comment..... Cerise (pup) does often try to "herd" Mille our elder dog in our back yard and even attempt to be a bit dominant of her in the house (mainly with food). This is something we will definitely be addressing with the trainer soon. Any tips or advice you can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey There and Welcome! Beautiful dogs. After getting my GSD I am also sold on the breed. They are amazingly loyal and sweet companions.
After in my past having Collie's, British Bull Dogs, Pugs - even ferrets etc. I had no idea. But I'm with you, completely sold on the breed.

·
Registered
241 Posts
That's a great comment..... Cerise (pup) does often try to "herd" Mille our elder dog in our back yard and even attempt to be a bit dominant of her in the house (mainly with food). This is something we will definitely be addressing with the trainer soon. Any tips or advice you can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 5 year old and a 7 month old GSD, both males.

They're fed near each other but back to back and not side by side. The younger one eats a lot more than the older so he finishes last for now. I would never let him go to the other's bowl while they're eating and so far not a problem. He does lick the older dogs bowl out when he's finished and the pup is a bully so I will continue to monitor that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great point and thought - ours are similar. Mille prefers to eat outside and Cersie prefers to eat inside so we follow that but they do share the in-house water bowl and don't seem to fight over that. From time to time Cerise does ensure (vocally) that Mille (white one) isn't eating from her food bowl.

·
Registered
10,035 Posts
That, to me, is a red flag that needs to be nipped in the bud. As soon as you see Cerise instigate this and any other potential asserting-herself behavior call her off. It can be as subtle as 'the look'. This is a typical development in some females at this age. Feed them separately and when treats are involved make sure you address the dog that gets the treat, like "Cerise, good", treat. Body block the one that tries to insert herself to let her know you were not addressing her. When they have to be alone, I would crate each dog individually and also be careful that your human toddler can not get caught between the two dogs if there is any form of rivalry. I don't want to scare you, but to just remain vigilant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Greatly appreciate the comments and advice - sounds as if they come from experience for sure. Cersie (pup) is now a year and a half and has certainly matured a lot in the past 6 months. Have the two fought - yes, to count I believe only three times but none to wounds or blood but they have. All three times I have inserted myself aggressively but not grabbing either of them and they both backed down (stomping my foot loudly and looking at them). The last one was probably three to four months ago. It seems that has stopped and subsided but the only gripe I have is the herding in our yard at the moment. The trainer we recently began working with suggested a new collar for us in which seems to be working really well. It's not a shock collar but one that vibrates based on your personal need of intensity. In working with them the past few days it's really working quite well. Using it along with the "off" command has made a big difference so far. We will definitely continue using that to see how it continues to progress. Thanks again for the input.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts