German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kimba, my 15 mo gsd, would not eat at all last night (6 pm). she would eat small bits of chicken, but thats it. she had been with me visiting friends yesterday. they did feed her a few snausages, but this is not my concern. she had diarrhea overnight, would not eat this morning, and threw up quite alot of material today at 11:30 am considering she had virtually no dinner yesterday. i noticed the snausages pretty much undigested (along with what appeared to be yesterdays breakfast) and she had those around noon yesterday.

with apparantly little/no digestion in the past 24 hours, my concern is intestinal blockage.

is there any other reason that much food would go undigested for that long?

she still wants to play, so behaviorally i dont see anything alarming. i called the emergency vet. they felt i could keep an eye on her for any more vomiting, no food/water for 3 hours, then a bland diet for a couple days OR i could bring her in to get her checked for the intestinal blockage.

thinking back, she seemed less than her usual enthusiastic self yesterday morning when eating. i just wanted opinions. im leaning toward the emergency vet. thanks for any input.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I would take her in. You can never be too safe when it comes to the health of your dog/best friend. I would rather be safe than sorry. Let us know how it goes if you do take her in. Will be praying for the both of you

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Prayers and well-wishes that this is just a minor glitch, and that she is back to her old self quite soon. Please let us know what the vet says!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Sometimes food comes up undigested because it never made it to the stomach to begin with. This could be an esophageal problem.

It could also mean a blockage of some sort in the intestines.

Vomiting of fecal material is also a sign of a blockage, but it doesn't sound like you are describing that.

Gastroparesis (slow movement of the digestive tract) can also be a problem especially in diabetic dogs.

It could also be nothing alarming, which is what we always hope for!

These conditions are potentially serious and need to be evaluated by a vet. I hope she feels better soon!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts