German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may not be a familiar name on these forums but I read up on a lot of things here. Anyway, here is my dilema. I'm in the military, stationed in Spain, and we are moving back to the US in July to North Carolina but headed home to Arizona for a quick visit with family. The military contracts a flight straight from my current base to the east coast with a limited number of pets each flight. Well I was told by the agent the flight I was assigned to had no more available slots for pets, even though I was in a different area of the same office the next day, when i overheard the same agent i was working with talking to her friend while she was making reservations for her three cats on the same flight. Pisses me off. It is what it is. Many people advised me to give her up to the local pound or give her away, however, that is NOT an option for me. A quoted price from petrelocation.com was in the $7000 range for a door to door trip for her. Obviously being in the military I can't afford that. I'm still waiting on a new quote from Madrid to NYC/ATL/PHL or any major east coast hub . My question is, does anyone have any experience with international pet shipment or can give me some advice??? Thank you?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have no past experience with international shipping. However we are also military (stationed in Germany) and someone posed this in a group I follow on Facebook the other day http://www.spcai.org/index.php/programs/operation-military-pets.html . Also as a former AF brat who had cats growing up cats usually fly in cabin which might explain why you heard that same agent say there was space for her cats. However the person with the cats should technically only be able to bring two with her on the rotator and the third has to be shipped separately. I wish I could help more and I hope you are chosen by the SPCA for one of the grants they offer. Good luck!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Have you tried Delta Cargo? I just asked my Husband as he's a Navy Brat and his father just shipped their cat from Germany to CONUS using another airline to get the cat into CONUS, then Delta figured it out from there.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
That is a ridiculous price for shipping your dog!

Continental has an excellent reputation for shipping dogs, and should be a lot more affordable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts