German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow puppy parents! My 11 month old pup, Ayla, has been intermittently limping off her back left leg for the past week. Everytime she starts limping, it only lasts for about 2-5 minutes before she bursts out into a full sprint and starts walking/running fine again. I've examined the area of concern (paw, pads, toes and nails, ankle, knee and hips) but there is no swelling and she does not react at all or show any signs of discomfort. She is still her normal self, constantly trying to play and explore. Her diet and appetite are normal as well. Some days she doesn't limp at all, some days she has 2 or 3 of these 5 minute limping episodes but it has persisted for a week now and I'm getting worried. Could this be attributed to growing pain?

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Check the paw pads for being underdeveloped too. Sometimes they can shear off a top layer and it has them walking on egg shells for a day or two and it isn't always immediately obvious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the paw pads for being underdeveloped too. Sometimes they can shear off a top layer and it has them walking on egg shells for a day or two and it isn't always immediately obvious.
Thank you for your help! What signs should i be looking for on her paw pad?? I did notice that her pads seemed to be a little dry and rough to the touch

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Also keep in mind energetic dogs will often feel the pain at first and then just run through it and you won't see it anymore. It doesn't mean they are fine, just their exuberance masks the pain.

I have seen intermittent limping with tick diseases and also with infamed paws- NOT the pad but up in between in the webbing. They will limp on gravelly surfaces or anything that pokes up in there and hurts it, but they will not limp on smooth surfaces or grass usually.

I had one boarder pull a muscle and she would limp indoors but as soon as she went outside the limp was forgotten because birds...and she is a very birdy dog. Had to be pottied on leash for a week so she would rest and heal, otherwise she would have chased birds and never healed because she feels no pain once she sees a bird. Like GSD often no longer feel pain when they see a ball.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts