German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to an adoption event today to look at puppies. (No joy on the pups)
There were 3 pups in a wire crate that was sitting on a plastic banquet table.
I had Gunnar (3 1/2 YO neutered male, we've had since he was puppy) and Cassie (2 YO neutered female, we've had since May)

I was standing near the table with the dogs in a sit next to the table. My wife was holding another puppy and squated down so our dogs could check her out. (we didn't put the puppy on the floor)

Gunnar leaned in and was sniffing the puppy. While he was sniffing, Cass was shying away and pulling back. I then pulled Gunnar back and my wife called Cass up to take a sniff. She leaned forward to check out the pup and Gunnar just turned his head toward her and blocked her. She again shyed away with her ears down and pulled back. Didn't seem aggressive, just "blocking" her.

I told my wife to keep trying with Cass and then I took Gunnar away and around the corner. As soon as I was gone, Cassie was fine and leaned in and was sniffing and checking out the puppy.

I'm guessing he was claiming the pup, but I don't know for sure. I've never seen them do anything like that before and I try and keep an eye out for stuff like, just to avoid potential problems

I'm not worried about it, I didn't have a sense that it was going to escelate into something more but I'm just curious to get the take of a few more experienced people.

When we've been at the dog park or out other places, they've encountered puppies and I didn't notice any behavior like this. (Or maybe I just missed it, but I don't think so)

Any ideas, or am I just being hyperdilligent?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
you may very well be on to something.. When I had two males, who never had a tiff a day in their lives, the older being 7 the younger being 5, I brought in a 12 week old female, the younger one Kodi, ws always happy to allow the older one Jake, to be a leader, Kodi being a follower.

Jake basically claimed this puppy tho it wasn't a big noticeable 'claim', Kodi and the puppy would get into rough playing, and Jake would be RIGHT THERE, to break it up or put a stop to it. It wasn't "jealousy", it was more of a , I'm the big kahuna here, your to rough, knock it off.

Having 3, can make it 'odd', not just in numbers but in dynamics. It definately worked out fine, but Jake always kept an eye on that girl , and Kodi knew when to back off /stay away from her.

Hard to explain, but I think your most likely 'on' with your observation

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.
I've always been told that the 3rd dog makes it a pack and the dynamic between them changes.
I grew up with between 4 and 6 dogs at times but I don't remember their ever being any problems.

It will be interesting when we finally find another dog.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
At one point I had 4 gsd's for gosh, 10 years or so, one female all males..That female took over the 'leader' roll, which the boys were happy to comply with:)

Now I'm down to my 2 year old gsd, and two aussies, 10 & 11, I honestly don't see much of a difference right now in dynamics, maybe because I 'had' 4, but went down to 3, where as, having 2 or 3 and "adding" to it, seems to change things more..Make sense? LOL

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually followed that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts