German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'll start with that I am 14 weeks pregnant and of course I have been observing Titan and noting any change in behavior, since everyone says that he will start changing. Nothing really has changed up to this point..

The last couple days, he just doesn't want to play in the backyard with me but has no issues playing with my husband. During the week it's mostly fetch in the back yard. He is NOT a dog that will willingly stop playing. He is down right obsessed with it.. and I usually am his "off" button. So this is bizarre to me. He will be excited to go out like normal and once we get out there, just act like he isn't thrilled at all to be playing. After a few throws he will actually take the ball, go onto the patio, stop to look at me almost like waiting for me to follow, and then he goes inside the house (doggie door) and waits for me inside by the door. Once I go in, he is excited and comes up to me for pets, and then just hangs out. This morning was the exact same thing.. except this morning he almost seemed nervous or scared of me outside until we got inside then it was all loving..

Even yesterday, I went out with him after work, like always and he was a little more into it but just wasn't himself and again brought himself back inside. When my husband got home he took him out again and said he was balls to the wall like normal.. it is just bizarre to me. I was able to take him out front this morning and play with our training/front yard toy.. and he was into it for the most part.. appeared a little more watchful of cars though (though I could be imagining).

Anywho.. nothing has changed except for me being pregnant.. so naturally I think that's the reason.. almost like him not wanting me outside??? Who knows... anyone have any ideas or could it really be the pregnancy?

For those that don't know already Titan is insanely driven with a ball and almost nothing can get in his way when it's fetch time... literally.. I have never seen him just not play unless he wasn't feeling good.. which even then he tries. This is just so bizarre to me.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Whitney do you think he's trying to protect you and the baby? I know people will say Im crazy but he couls sense you tire more easily or havent been feeling great. Just my thought.
Maggi

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sound crazy when I think like that, lol. But that is the only thing I can think of. The weird part was he seemed better out in the front yard than in the back almost making me think he was bored of the back yard maybe vs the other, but still so weird. Going to see how he acts this afternoon when I get home from work.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Missing Lucy.
hmm.. I'm not so sure that's it. He really did not like her.. like at all.. and she's been gone for over a week now... and it doesn't explain why he's normal with my husband playing but not me. Not completely discounting it.. he can be an odd duck.. but it wouldn't make sense to me.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Sorry, I should have said Lucy Missing. Could be just change. If he is sensing something from you specifically - then chances are he may have also sensed your turmoil of the last few weeks. Not something necessarily good or bad for him... just different. Mine have always been such creatures of habit, when a move or death of another pet family member changed the "normal" they were out of regular routine for a few weeks, then when the "new normal" settled to routine - they were fine.

If that is the case, it should be gone in another week or so and you might see this again when the baby comes.

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Aha, I see what you're saying.. makes sense. Not that it's a huge deal, really, if he doesn't want to play ball with his mama, lol.. just more a very distinct behavior change.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I searched online for a little bit. Couldn't find any direct scientific confirmation of it. But...you'll find tons and tons of anecdotal support for it.

I read one article where a woman said she herself can tell another woman is pregnant based on their urine smell.
Dogs can tell when other dogs are pregnant.
Why shouldn't they be able to tell a human is? Especially if they have smelled a pregnant dog before, as there is perhaps a change/signal that is the same between human & dog (such as when pregnant, the levels of this or that skyrocket & a dog is able to tell).

Titan probably can tell and is trying to keep you away from strenuous activity (he might think you throwing ball is as activity packed as him getting it, "I can't let mom be doing all this! She needs to get the den in order!"

Good pack member. I think your child is going to grow up plenty safe, thanks to Titan The Protector. :)

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Some dogs are very sensitive to change, your husband hasn't changed but your home and you have so he could just be responding to that

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Aha, I see what you're saying.. makes sense. Not that it's a huge deal, really, if he doesn't want to play ball with his mama, lol.. just more a very distinct behavior change.
It may be an opportunity to introduce a fun new activity into the routine. Did you say that he really enjoyed the flirt pole and that is new to him? Perhaps if that is worked in for a short period of time every day with just you - it could "fill the gap". Would the flirt pole be easier than ball when you get a tummy that will make bending over to get the ball a little less than fun.:)

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I searched online for a little bit. Couldn't find any direct scientific confirmation of it. But...you'll find tons and tons of anecdotal support for it.

I read one article where a woman said she herself can tell another woman is pregnant based on their urine smell.
Dogs can tell when other dogs are pregnant.
Why shouldn't they be able to tell a human is? Especially if they have smelled a pregnant dog before, as there is perhaps a change/signal that is the same between human & dog (such as when pregnant, the levels of this or that skyrocket & a dog is able to tell).

Titan probably can tell and is trying to keep you away from strenuous activity (he might think you throwing ball is as activity packed as him getting it, "I can't let mom be doing all this! She needs to get the den in order!"

Good pack member. I think your child is going to grow up plenty safe, thanks to Titan The Protector. :)
:) Thank you! I did some research too actually. The study I read said that along with the actual physical changes, growing belly, different walk style, routine changes, etc. hormones actually can change your unique scent.. as previously on a SAR team and I learned a lot about scent, this actually surprised me. I never knew the composition of your hormones when you pregnant could change your unique scent! Some suggest that your smell has changed when your hormones changed and so your dog, who knew you inside and out all of a sudden smells something different and isn't sure what to make of it essentially "you're the same but you smell funny" to your dog. Very interesting read.

Some dogs are very sensitive to change, your husband hasn't changed but your home and you have so he could just be responding to that
Very true. As much as I think not much has changed I am sure he picks up on the smallest of changes and I am just not thinking about it.

It may be an opportunity to introduce a fun new activity into the routine. Did you say that he really enjoyed the flirt pole and that is new to him? Perhaps if that is worked in for a short period of time every day with just you - it could "fill the gap". Would the flirt pole be easier than ball when you get a tummy that will make bending over to get the ball a little less than fun.:)
He DID like the flirt pole. LOL he isn't as interested right now because the toy changed. I need to find a new toy. When we first used it he had this one toy he LOVED and went crazy for it. When I left for a weekend and a friend watched him and Lucy, she misplaced it and we can't find it. I can't find that toy anymore so the search begins for a new fun toy! I am sure I just need to put a ball at the end, LOL.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
It may be he doesn't like change sound like he may be more sensitive to that with the toy story. I'm sure he knows and aware of all the slightest of changes taken place. It would be good to keep monitoring him for any health issues. He is eating?

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It may be he doesn't like change sound like he may be more sensitive to that with the toy story. I'm sure he knows and aware of all the slightest of changes taken place. It would be good to keep monitoring him for any health issues. He is eating?
Sorry what did you mean but the "change sound." Yeah he is 100% himself in every other aspect, eats, drinks, plays with my husband, potties, listens, etc. He is still himself except that he isn't interested in playing with me in the back yard.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Oh No! His woobie got misplaced. That happened to mine a couple of months ago - got lost somewhere under 2 feet of snow. I ordered another identical because I knew nothing else would do (it was a foot ball with squeeker). She liked it but not like her old one. Snow melted - she has her old one back and life is good again!

Where could that toy have gone? Could she have accidentally thrown it too hard and it ended up over a neighbors fence?

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
I sound crazy when I think like that, lol. But that is the only thing I can think of. The weird part was he seemed better out in the front yard than in the back almost making me think he was bored of the back yard maybe vs the other, but still so weird. Going to see how he acts this afternoon when I get home from work.
Your not crazy for thnking lik that. pregnancy is a biog physical change . Maybe there is something in the Back yard he wants to protect you from.

Is he misssing a toy cause w/ Thunder tyhe was only one thing she would chase and if that wasnt what I threw then she just looked at me.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Sorry what did you mean but the "change sound." Yeah he is 100% himself in every other aspect, eats, drinks, plays with my husband, potties, listens, etc. He is still himself except that he isn't interested in playing with me in the back yard.
Sorry I'm on my phone. He may not like change. When you were talking about only playing with the one toy made me think he was sensitive to change and there is plenty changes going with new baby on way and he is acting off because of that. It is good he healthy otherwise. There could be something that was lurking in the backyard. If you go in the backyard yourself and he is inside the house does he get upset and want to be near you? Maybe he is just being a baby boy and wanting his toy giving his mom a tantrum:smile:

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
MY dog changed his behavior when I was pregnant. With baby 3 on its way, he was my pregnancy test and more accurate than the one form the doc, which came back negative at that time. A friend of mine said that I was pregnant according to the dog's behavior and it was true!
Deja displayed unusual clingy behavior to a pregnant friend of mine.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My ag teacher said that when she had her Golden, he was a super playful dog and loved to roughhouse. But one day, he just refused to play with her at all, but he still played with her husband. A few days later, she found out she was pregnant with her first child! Ever since then, he refused to roughhouse with her, even after she had her baby. Thought it was interesting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts