German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so more and more I am noticing an interesting behavior and I am not sure how it interpret it.

So, if I am sitting on the couch, 9 times out of 10 Dallas will remain on the floor. If BF comes upstairs and sits down, Dallas will almost immediately get up and come and get on the couch. As soon as BF gets up and goes back downstairs, Dallas gets up and moves back to the floor?
Have I done something unconsciously? Dallas has always been allowed on the couch, only time he gets corrected is when he is in hyper mode and bouncing off the walls.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Sounds like Dallas may be possessive of you? Where does Dallas sit when he gets up on the couch? That may be more telling.

I'll be interested in seeing what others have to say.

Kristina

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
Sounds like it to me. How is Dallas' relationship with your BF? Does your BF do any walking or feeding or training for Dallas? If not, I'd have your boyfriend do more of those, especially control exercises (feeding time, controlled play, and training), just to nip any potential problems in the bud.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He usually sits at the opposite end of where I am BF between Dallas and I. BF and I have been together for a long time. This is not a new relationship. Relationship between Dallas and BF is totally fine. He does not feed Dallas, I do, he feeds the kitties. I walk Dallas but we occassionally go hiking together. But it has always been that way. Nothing in our family routine has changed. Which again why this is a little interesting to me.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Neither Thor nor Freya do this with me (as none of them have ever been allowed on the couch...teehee) but my daughter's dog, Oliver, will sit anywhere until a 'MAN' sits anywhere near her. Then Oliver comes from wherever, crawls on the couch right between her and the 'MAN'...like he's protecting her from some 'evil being'. *laughing* He even did this with her husband all the time they were married. He didn't have much luck when he did this in bed, however. *snickers*

There's nothing aggressive about his behavior, all very subtle. But no one gets next to his mom except him, so it would seem. I think if he ever began to growl or show any aggression, she would correct him at once, but it's just something he does at the moment, and has done ever since he was a puppy, 8 years ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts