German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dolly and I have been playing with Basketballs and Jolly Balls since she was 9 weeks. We have a great relationship and since I work from home, are always playing in the backyard.

She has been through 2 heat cycles so far and this last one changed her quite a bit. She is more relaxed (less puppy excitement) and 100x more serious. Odd combo I know.

Her temperament is solid, she just aced the CGC test within' the past week (for what that is worth).

I've noticed that while playing fetch (throw the Jolly Ball and she retrieves it) the hair on her back "hackles?" stands up while she slides and chases it down. I've not thought much of it, but it's only when she catches it in a slide or the motion of grabbing it off the ground in a hurry. It's consistent and happens every time. By the time she drops the Jolly Ball at my feet her hair is receding.

Since this is new behavior (post 2nd heat) I'm wondering if <A> it's just intense focus or excitement or <B> maybe some sort of pain or discomfort since it is only when she is plowing my yard up to grab the ball in the most destructive fashion?

Just asking to ease my mind of any possible health or hip problems, she is not due for OFA until 24 months (January 2014).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hackles up just means arousal. So it's most likely excitement.
Thanks! I figured it may be a stupid question, but I'd rather ask a stupid question and know it was just ...:crazy: .. vs. the alternative and find out it was a sign of a serious complication.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts