German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an interesting behavior that my 2 yrs old F, GSD does towards her younger doggy brother. (1 yrs old M, Chihuahua) Its quite funny to us but basically my GSD will go to the food bowl and put in his mouth several pieces of kibble. She than will go to the other side of the room and drop those pieces of kibble down for the little chihuahua to eat. The lil brother gobbles it up and the GSD will do that maybe one or two more times and will stop. However, they both eat their food from the same bowl. They do not fight or have food aggression. Either dog can eat from the same bowl without a care in the world what the other is doing. But everyday, my GSD does the same thing and put lots of kibble in her mouth and drop it for the lil one to eat. I wonder what the reason for doing this? Why this sort of behavior? Thanks for your feedback! Im just curious! Those two have a great relationship! Play, sleep, eat, live together!:blush:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sounds like she is taking care of her pack mate. I have heard that in a pack the leaders will make sure the lesser downs eat too.( dont know if thats accurate) But sounds to me like shes being a good pack mate. Very cute story though.

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
That is adorable! Your girl is treating yoruu chihuahua as her puppy. In the nature, pups that have been weaned but are too young to hunt are fed by the adult pack members. Either they catch prey and bring it back to the den for the pups, or they eat the prey, then regurgitate it for the puppies.

To me, this sounds like an adult dog feeding a pup. I think it is wonderful and endearing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for your comment! You know, I was kinda thinking it must be something to do with my gsd being a mother like figure to the lil chi but I wasnt so sure, its definitely cute to see as there obvious size difference makes them look like they are mother and son.;) hehe

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with Channy.
To me, it sounds like your GSD thinks of your Chihuahua as her packmate, although I'm not sure if this is 100% true or not.
Either way, it sounds like your dogs really care for each other. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts