German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a google search for Interceptor update, and saw on a few websites that it has been permanently discontinued.

I'm really upset over this. Joey can tolerate Interceptor; I don't know how he'll tolerate Trifexis (which is what his vet is recommending).

Trifexis is a heartworm/flea preventative. Joey's already on Vectra 3D, which is a flea/tick preventative. Taking Trifexis and Vectra 3D is going to be overkill.

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
I wonder the same thing. I have seen interceptor for sale online. What's up with that?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was leaning towards Sentinel, but would have to get a substitute for Vectra 3D. I don't want Joey having more flea killer than needed.

I have a feeling he couldn't tolerate the Trifexis.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
My vet told me interceptor is done:(

I have enough to get Jynx thru this year, the others are on heartguard.

You can get Interceptor Spectrum (interceptor plus fleas) via Australia. What I want to know is, if you can get in Australia, why not manufacture it here?

Doxy prices have also skyrocketed,,what I paid last year 39.95 for 500/100mgs is now over 400$, yep thats FOUR HUNDRED!!..

I ordered mine thru ebay, went with fish doxy got it for 59.00..

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
My vet won't sell a single HW medicine without flea chemicals as part of it.
Then gives me a hard time for using ivomec.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
My vet told me interceptor is done:(

I have enough to get Jynx thru this year, the others are on heartguard.

You can get Interceptor Spectrum (interceptor plus fleas) via Australia. What I want to know is, if you can get in Australia, why not manufacture it here?

Doxy prices have also skyrocketed,,what I paid last year 39.95 for 500/100mgs is now over 400$, yep thats FOUR HUNDRED!!..

I ordered mine thru ebay, went with fish doxy got it for 59.00..
That's insane. Is there any explanation for the rapid increase?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Yes my vet is now going to have Sentinal for the same price as intercepter. I remember when Sentinal first came out it was a lot more money. I am really not sure I want to use it. I believe it has flea treatment in it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there a medicine that just kills ticks? That way I can use Sentinel without worry about doubling up on flea medication.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Amitraz. Preventic collar.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I did a google search for Interceptor update, and saw on a few websites that it has been permanently discontinued.

I'm really upset over this. Joey can tolerate Interceptor; I don't know how he'll tolerate Trifexis (which is what his vet is recommending).

Trifexis is a heartworm/flea preventative. Joey's already on Vectra 3D, which is a flea/tick preventative. Taking Trifexis and Vectra 3D is going to be overkill.
Trifexis also takes care of many internal parasites and we talked to the vet about the tick control. Seams like a tick collar is all we need for the days if we go hiking =)

So far Z is doing really great on Trifexis and since he eats dirt, I am so happy it covers for those parasites.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ImageUploadedByPG Free1367331843.261282.jpg I was actually ordering Comfortis which is flea, tick, and Mosquitos, as well as their eggs from Canada. The price was so much cheaper having it shipped here to the US.

Being that I have 5 dogs, I have to do whatever I can to save $$$$.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Comfortis does not cover heartworm alone and Trifexis=Sentinel+Comfortis

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Amitraz. Preventic collar.
Amitraz Toxicity in Dogs and Cats

Just an FYI for anybody doing combined pesticides

General Information
Amitraz kills mites and ticks by interfering with their nervous system. It will also affect the nervous system of dogs if overdosed. DO NOT use Amitraz on cats. Amitraz is a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI). Do not mix with other pesticides or other medications that affect the nervous system. Severe toxicity may occur if amitraz-containing collars are ingested

Toxic Dose
Varies depending on the individual dog's sensitivity.
Signs
Common side effects of the medication include sedation and a dry skin and haircoat. Serious side effects include low blood pressure, decreased body temperature, elevation of blood glucose, dilated pupils, slow heart rate, slowed intestinal rate, ataxia, prolonged sedation, vasoconstriction, vomiting, diarrhea, and seizures. Death may occur.
Immediate Action
Contact your veterinarian. Remove the Preventic Tick Collar or other source. If exposure was from a dip, bathe and rinse the animal thoroughly. Dry to prevent chilling. If the pet ingested all or part of an amitraz-containing collar, induce vomiting.
Veterinary Care
General treatment: For oral exposure, the induction of vomiting may be continued, gastric lavage is performed. In cases of dermal exposure, bathing and rinsing is continued.
Supportive treatment: IV fluids may be given. Appropriate measures are taken to maintain the body temperature. The blood glucose level, blood pressure, and heart rate are monitored.
Specific treatment: Yohimbine may help reverse some of the toxic effects.
Prognosis
Fair to poor, depending on symptoms.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Really sad to hear this... the dogs all did perfect on the Interceptor, and I've hated having to switch them to Heartguard.

Tried Trifexis, but Ridley puked his guts up on it, even after splitting it in half and feeding it in two separate meals. Plus he could smell it no matter how I hid it... not even raw beef could mask that disgusting chemical smell.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I had both of mine on Interceptor as well. Sentinel seems rather pricey. If I can't get Interceptor then I think I'll buy the 12 pack of Heartgard to cover both dogs instead of buying two 6-packs.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I don't want to put anymore into my MDR1 dog than I have to, so I wouldn't use the spectrum or anything else at this time other than interceptor.

Since she's 13, and still in very good health other than being deaf/little stiff, I'll have to play it by ear when it comes to next year's dosing.

Carolyn check with your vet, I know mine sent me 'rebates' if you buy 12 dose Heartguard, vs a 6. Forget the amount, but it wasn't a bad deal.

Walmart is now selling Heartguard as well, I think the price for 51-100lbs, 6 , was around 59.00? I could be wrong on that..

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Amitraz has actually been *reasonably* safe for decades. It is the ingredient in mitabin we used in the 80s when there was an infestation. It is true INGESTION is a major concern and dogs with collars of course should not be allowed to mouth each others' necks.

Personally, I am using garlic. But amitraz is a way to give the tick protection without doubling up on flea meds.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts