German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dutch just hit the 9 weeks mark. We've had him a week and he was doing sooooo well. He was getting me to take him out when he needed to pee. We had three or four days without any accidents.

Today he has peed inside twice and pooped once. He hadn't pooped inside since the first day we got him.

I'm extremely frustrated because he pooped inside 10 minutes after I took him outside and spent about 10 minutes walking him around.

He peed earlier about 30 minutes after he went outside and peed, which didn't make any sense to me.

He JUST peed in practically the same spot on the rug and it's only been maybe an hour or 90 minutes since his last time outside.

What's going on? Is he acting out? He's been a little punk all day. Chewing on the rug. Chewing on the cat stand. Chewing on the couch. I realize this is pretty standard behavior, but today just seems worse than usual.

The biggest difference about today is that it's pouring outside. Does he just not want to pee outside? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I just thought we had turned a corner and now it seems like we're regressing.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
He's getting comfortable get used to it:) If your not feeding him on a schedule and taking him out on a set schedule I would start now. Pups don't quite know how to tell you it's time yet and he might not even realize it's time till he's midstream kinda like potty training a kid. Set a schedule of every hour taking him out and staying out till he goes chanting go potty and treating when he does. If you notice sniffing take him out again, and crate him when you can't watch him. The best way to potty train is to avoid accidents at all costs though of course they'll have a few you have to be patient. Also clean accidents really well with an enzyme busting cleaner to remove the scent or he'll smell himself on the carpet and think aw yeah right here:)

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
It takes 21 days (I think that was the number) with no accidents to say your dog is house trained. He is young and no he is not acting out, dogs do not do that. It is possible he does not like the rain but he needs to learn rain or shine he must go out.

I hate rainy days, Max is 10 months so he will go out to potty but there is no playing. He is like a school kid on a rainy day, drives us crazy!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's getting comfortable get used to it:) If your not feeding him on a schedule and taking him out on a set schedule I would start now. Pups don't quite know how to tell you it's time yet and he might not even realize it's time till he's midstream kinda like potty training a kid. Set a schedule of every hour taking him out and staying out till he goes chanting go potty and treating when he does. If you notice sniffing take him out again, and crate him when you can't watch him. The best way to potty train is to avoid accidents at all costs though of course they'll have a few you have to be patient. Also clean accidents really well with an enzyme busting cleaner to remove the scent or he'll smell himself on the carpet and think aw yeah right here:)
We can't crate train. We've been trying. He freaks out. I barely close the door while he's eating or working on a bone and he starts to get worked up. He bites down on the wiring and starts pulling. I've tried sitting next to him. I've tried ignoring him. I don't know what to do. I don't want him to hurt himself.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Keep trying, your letting him make the rules. Try covering the crate and the minute he is quiet let him out and throw a party! I thought Max was never going to get there but now he loves his crate. Each pup is different when it comes to crate training.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take him out more often. don't wait untill he gives
you a signal that you miss read. 90 minutes between breaks might to long for your pup. if your pup is going in the house and you're home
that means you're not watching him closely.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep trying, your letting him make the rules. Try covering the crate and the minute he is quiet let him out and throw a party! I thought Max was never going to get there but now he loves his crate. Each pup is different when it comes to crate training.
Shouldn't I be worried that he's going to break a tooth or hurt himself?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
take him out more often. don't wait untill he gives
you a signal that you miss read. 90 minutes between breaks might to long for your pup. if your pup is going in the house and you're home
that means you're not watching him closely.
We were taking him out every 2 hours, sometimes more, but at least every two hours and it was working fine until today.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Every hour on the hour until he's older and with bedtime being the exception. When you can't watch him crate him despite his tantrum he will learn if you ignore him no matter how it breaks your heart- he'll be fine:)If you refuse to crate train him because he throws a tantrum he will quickly learn to be rude in other situations because you are reinforcing whining, yipping, and barking get him what he wants.

·
2,967 Posts
Every hour on the hour until he's older and with bedtime being the exception. When you can't watch him crate him despite his tantrum he will learn if you ignore him no matter how it breaks your heart- he'll be fine:)If you refuse to crate train him because he throws a tantrum he will quickly learn to be rude in other situations because you are reinforcing whining, yipping, and barking get him what he wants.
I agree with this. Some pups throw some pretty massive tantrums, but you just have to ignore it and let it go on. I usually find it best if I leave the room, so there's no audience for the tantrum. Small puppies sleep alot, so if I can get my pup out for several hours and really wear them out...chances are the tantrum will not be long. When I picked up my most recent puppy, he was awake the drive home, We took him to dinner with us, played with him in the yard, and right before bed put him in the crate with a bully stick. He pitched a fit for about 20 minutes. Then he fell asleep. Within 3 days he was good to go. As long as you NEVER reinforce the tantrum...the dog will adjust. My dogs are all very content in their crates.

Leerburg | How to Housebreak A Puppy

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Three days was all it ever took me as well and we use the wear out method too:) My dogs get in their crates often when I'm home during the day to sleep with the door wide open or just chill out. We don't have crates in our bedroom for this reason as well and used the tough love method which left us with two awesome dogs who do not bark, whine, or yip to get their way:)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Dutch just hit the 9 weeks mark. We've had him a week and he was doing sooooo well. He was getting me to take him out when he needed to pee. We had three or four days without any accidents.

Today he has peed inside twice and pooped once. He hadn't pooped inside since the first day we got him.

I'm extremely frustrated because he pooped inside 10 minutes after I took him outside and spent about 10 minutes walking him around.

He peed earlier about 30 minutes after he went outside and peed, which didn't make any sense to me.

He JUST peed in practically the same spot on the rug and it's only been maybe an hour or 90 minutes since his last time outside.

What's going on? Is he acting out? He's been a little punk all day. Chewing on the rug. Chewing on the cat stand. Chewing on the couch. I realize this is pretty standard behavior, but today just seems worse than usual.

The biggest difference about today is that it's pouring outside. Does he just not want to pee outside? Anyone have any thoughts on this? I just thought we had turned a corner and now it seems like we're regressing.
same thing is happening to me... 1st 3 days w/ only 1 accident, and now he seems to pee at will, i take him out exactly every 2 hours (timer) so i lessened the time and still..., earlier my timer went off, i stood up to get him, and he started to piddle... i never scold him for it, but take him outside and praise/treat him for going outside, i also spent about 10 minutes outside playing w/ him waiting for him to go pee/poop and he did, then 20 minutes later he decided to release the floodgate
not sure whats going on today, but he is only 7 weeks old so im not too worried about it... on the plus side he hasn't pooped in the house yet :D

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everything I read here is in contradiction to what I read elsewhere. It seems like you all say I should just toss him in and let him adjust. But all the crate training sites say that's bad.

Crate training can take days or weeks, depending on your dog's age, temperament and past experiences. It's important to keep two things in mind while crate training:

• The crate should always be associated with something pleasant.
  • Training should take place in a series of small steps. Don't go too fast.
Crate Training : The Humane Society of the United States

I'm so conflicted. :(

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Everyone does it different but for me crate training gradually isn't an option. I have to work, run around with the kids, and have a life outside my home like most. I can't simply not go anywhere the first month of a pups life to get them used to a crate. Yes you should leave toys and treats in the crate with the pup and even something that smells like you to make them more comfortable though nothing that can be destroyed and choked on. However, if you take your pup out of the crate because he's throwing a tantrum he will throw a tantrum every time he's put in there. So for the nights he has to suck it up and during the day you can practice making the crate fun by throwing treats in there and leaving the door open, feeding them in there, and locking them in for only short periods while you throw some laundry in, or vacuum. In my experience all pups freak about the crate and trying to get them to be calm when they can see and hear you is impossible. Do some research on the HSUS- their not so squeaky clean and animal loving:(

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone does it different but for me crate training gradually isn't an option. I have to work, run around with the kids, and have a life outside my home like most. I can't simply not go anywhere the first month of a pups life to get them used to a crate. Yes you should leave toys and treats in the crate with the pup and even something that smells like you to make them more comfortable though nothing that can be destroyed and choked on. However, if you take your pup out of the crate because he's throwing a tantrum he will throw a tantrum every time he's put in there. So for the nights he has to suck it up and during the day you can practice making the crate fun by throwing treats in there and leaving the door open, feeding them in there, and locking them in for only short periods while you throw some laundry in, or vacuum. In my experience all pups freak about the crate and trying to get them to be calm when they can see and hear you is impossible. Do some research on the HSUS- their not so squeaky clean and animal loving:(
So you would say I should just toss him in tonight and let him get over it?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I think that most people here try to make it a positive experience as much as possible, hiding treats in the crate with the door open, feeding/watering in the crate, etc. However, your puppy has now figured out that if he pitches a fit, he gets out. It's like magic! So, it you are probably going to have to wait out a few tantrums, as hard as it is. My girl would wail when in the crate during the day (she was always okay at night), so I practiced it just sitting beside the crate and as soon as she was quiet for a couple of seconds I would either let her out or drop treats in through the side. She never got out when she cried, unless there was a good chance she needed to go outside - in which case, I picked her up, carried her outside, she did her business (or not) and then I carried her back to her crate. Then if she was quiet she got to come out to play. Naturally, I gradually upped the time she needed to be quiet before she got out or treated. Crate training is the best thing you can do for your dog! Mine now pitches a fit if her crate door happens to be closed and she isn't in it!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I sure would;) My lab cried for over 4 hours the first night....our neighbors actually called the cops- true story. Next night was 2+ hours and no cop, 3rd night a little less than an hour, and 4th night maybe 10 minutes. This doesn't mean don't work on crate training during the day though to help the transition. Feed him in there with door open, toss in treats, and get in it yourself to play and snuggle your pup. Make it positive, treat him when he goes in on his own, and when you lure him in with treats and toys- just NEVER let him out while he is whining, chewing, barking, and spazzing.

You will cut down on the expense of him destroying your house because the chewing stage is coming down fast upon you, he will housebreak faster, he will be happy and safe when you have to leave during the day, and he will associate his crate as his place he can go to when he wants comfort. Zoe hates people in the house and after her initial freak out on the new person will often go in there to feel good and safe. It's not mean nor does it cause them to hate the crate- just run him now, pop him in with a toy, and go upstairs. Don't check on him, talk to him, look at him, or give him any attention especially while he's acting out- if you do your giving him a response he'll deem as positive. It's going to take the better part of this week and it's going to be hard on you, but it's a great chance to teach him early you control his space and freedom in a positive way:)

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Boaz was doing something similar. He'd run up to the top of the stairs and make a little puddle up there, like he was marking. But being so young, I wondered about it. He did it a few times in the exact same spot, and I recently had the carpet cleaned thoroughly up there. He stopped peeing inside a long time ago, thankfully. I think my little guy was just a little spunky. He's very good at running outside, but just a few times put his mark on that one spot.

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
The pup is nine weeks old.

He is not peeing intentionally to tick you off. Sorry.

He is a baby, and he just doesn't get it yet.

Are you taking a yummy treat out with you when you potty outside? Do you use your happy voice, saying What a good boy, you when pee pee OUTside? Stress the word OUTside?

When he starts to potty inside, do you scoop him up saying, Eh, OUTside to pee pee? Then take him outside, let him finish and praise the dickens out of him for doing so and give him the yummy treat?

Are you paying constant attention to your puppy when he is loose?

Are you cleaning up pee spots with an enzyme cleaner, thouroughly?

Are you cleaning up accidents without any fan fare, of frustration leaking out at the puppy?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts