German Shepherds Forum banner

Intact male, Bo, humping spayed Deja

681 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bramble 
#1 ·
Since yesterday Bo is obsessed with Deja's behind. She was spayed almost two years ago. I don't see any discharge form the vulva and she doesn't lick it. He follows her everywhere, tries to hump her in a sneaky way. She is overly tolerant and ignores him mostly. Luckily I have a vet appointment scheduled later today for her eyes and a general wellness check. So far I have only told him "Leave It" when it happens right in front of me, thinking about my own teacher dog from the past who wouldn't allow any of that from the others in his close proximity. We have a pair coyotes around (saw them on the trail cam with three youngsters). Maybe the female is in heat? The dogs do a lot of sniffing around on my property.
I doubt that it is behavioral since it started out of the blue. I am concerned about a scent she is giving off that can mean trouble. Any ideas to mention to the vet? It is a puzzle to me.

#2 ·
Only two things I can think of: you may be right about the coyotes being in heat. It is also possible for a spayed female to get pyometra in the stump of the utuerus the vet leaves behind, though this is very rare. HOWEVER, when my (unspayed) female developed pyo, my male showed no interest in her. When she was actually in heat, especially in her fertile period, it was a whole different story even though he was neutered.

#7 ·
UTI's can cause a scent similar to a bitch in heat. My first GSD male started showing a lot of interest in my spayed lab mix female years ago. She was not showing any symptoms of a UTI, but once I started her on antibiotics the behavior stopped.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.