German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSD male is 6 1/2 months old and very well behaved. I have always neutered other males I’ve owned by this age but after research I have decided not to neuter Klaus until he is a year old or more and then maybe never. I just want to know what behavior to expect as he is maturing and what problems I need to head off at the pass, so to speak. This is my first GSD and there is def a learning curve! Lol! He keeps me on my toes as it is. Any advice or suggestions is welcome.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
My GSD male is 6 1/2 months old and very well behaved. I have always neutered other males I’ve owned by this age but after research I have decided not to neuter Klaus until he is a year old or more and then maybe never. I just want to know what behavior to expect as he is maturing and what problems I need to head off at the pass, so to speak. This is my first GSD and there is def a learning curve! Lol! He keeps me on my toes as it is. Any advice or suggestions is welcome.
My experience has been that males go thru two potty training phases if not neutered. Puppy potty training where they learn not to just pee indoors, then adolescent potty training where they learn not to mark indoors which is not about having to pee.

My situation is harder though because I board dogs and I used to board dogs in my house, and some of them peed on my basement support poles. Both my males wanted to mark there in adolescence. Same with my kennel. Had to reteach it. Where is acceptable to mark.

Sometimes weird social behavior with other dogs. Some are worse than others.

·
Registered
459 Posts
My dog is 6 years old and intact. There have been no problems whatsoever with him. No marking, no wandering, nothing that would make him seem obviously intact. Or maybe I should say, nothing that some people might expect from an intact dog. He doesn't seem to even know he is a whole male and that is what we expect of him.

He is never let out alone, as with any of our dogs. He is always supervised, but not because he is whole. We don't let our dogs loose outside without our being with them. We live on a very small farm, so he is almost never leashed.

There are 8 dogs next door to us. They always bark and run the fence when we go out and they are outside in their fenced area. Some are whole males, some are neutered males, and a couple are spayed females. He pays them no attention whatsoever.

He has never been around a female in heat, though, so I have no idea if his attitude would change in that situation.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
My first dog was intact and lived to be a little over 12. I never had a problem with any behavior other than roaming when there was a bitch in heat nearby. We lived in the country though, and he was never contained (fence, crate, tether, or kennel), just loose on the farm. He was very car-wise, and didn't chase livestock or chickens, so I never worried about that. But he did come home with some serious battle scars from time to time.

·
Registered
9,731 Posts
Had several intact males. None ever roamed, sired (illegal) litters, fought or died of prostate issues either. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" (him). He may go through crazy, sometimes annoying adolescent behavior, but training, persistence, consistency and a sense of humor will take care of that.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I find when an intact male starts hitting 2 or 3 years, they enter a stage of calm confidence that I have not seen in neutered males.

None of my intact German Shepherds have ever had a marking problem although I hear it is common among small breed dogs.

There are several intact females in the neighborhood and my males could not care less. It's a whole other ballgame when one of my girls come into heat though.

·
4,518 Posts
My male is almost 6 years old. No problems aside from him getting his nose buried in scents during walks, which I assume are female pee spots. I have to remind him that we are moving on. May or may not have had that issue if he were neutered.

My female was spay at 18 months.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
I've never neutered my males. The only issue that I had was inflamed prostate with Karlo, he went on meds when he had flare ups. Repro vet said neuter wouldn't necessarily 'cure' that, and it is very common in older intact males. We trained around bitches in heat all the time, which caused the flare-ups.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
I had intact male Gsd and neutered Gsd due to retained testicle who was neutered at two years not many differences except I would I have had to separate my intact female when in heat. No marking in the house both likes to mark out on walks outside both can be reminded of not to if needed. No roaming urges.

In regards to small dogs - i would not want to own a intact male chihuahua. the urge to roam to reproduce is seems to be stronger in a intact small dogs and dogs and neutering makes all the difference in natural urges in little dogs/chihuahuas. my small dog not spoiled because of size in the slightest. They seemed to be wired a bit different. I would own A intact Male gsd or large breed -Yes any day. Max and Topper They both can get competitive for attention.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Never think your intact male will not reproduce. When I was a kid we had a big intact male named Caesar. One day dad was talking to a neighbor over the back fence and the neighbor told him he had Caesar's puppy. Dad looked at him in disbelief because (1) Caesar was kept in a fenced yard and if he did get out he'd go to the front door and wait for someone to let him in and (2) the neighbor had a little white chihuahua. The neighbor could see Dad didn't believe him so he said he'd go get the 6 week old puppy. He came back with a tiny German Shepherd that was a dead ringer for Caesar. It was already bigger than it's chihuahua mama.

Mine are all shelter dogs, so they are neutered. Unless you plan to breed them, I do not see any difference. And the neighbors are not amused by tiny little black German Shepherd/chihuahuas.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I didn’t neuter my last GSD until two and I honestly didn’t notice any behaviors to speak of. He didn’t hump or mark. Frisco is a week shy of six months and they say at daycare he mounts just about every dog. I’ve never seen it and he hasn’t humped us yet. As you know, neutered dogs hump and so do females.

The biggest issue is how neutered males react to an intact male. They don’t like it. So if around neutered males keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If you plan on neutering him, don't do it before he's 2 years old. Why? He's not done growing and studies have shown that he needs those vital hormones for growth. There are plenty of threads in these forums about it. You can Google it too. My breeder had a clause in the contract with me that I could not neuter him until he is 2. Many reputable breeders have this clause in the contracts now.

My previous dog was intact and so is my current one. I live smack in the middle of suburban Maryland, just outside of Washington DC. So he doesn't roam off leash. My dog is a couple months shy of 2 years old and he hasn't humped anything (yet). Mine (both dogs) also hasn't "marked his territory" indoors. I don't plan on neutering mine, just like I didn't with my previous one, unless there is a need for it due to health issues.

Things that you may have to look out for...dog licenses in some parts of the country are more expensive if your dog is intact. In my county, it's 3 times more expensive than a neutered dog.

If you board your dog, many places do not accept intact males. If they do allow intact males, they will be isolated. They don't get to play with the other dogs. If you use Rover.com, many people there won't sit/board intact males. Also some places may charge more for intact males.

Some dog parks don't allow intact males.

You may have to deal with the less educated people out there who think that intact males are more aggressive and perhaps "dangerous." There is a subtle prejudice/bias against intact males.

All you have to do is to be vigilant and supervise your dog at all times. Keep him leashed at all times outside. Do not let him run free (unless you live in seclusion) and you won't have any problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts