German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
One reason folks jump all over folks who are oblivious to the potential damage their dog could cause when warning signs are clearly being shown!

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
This is why I hate it when people whine about apartments not going on a dog to dog basis. This is why...dog could be fine in a meeting and then a month later do something.

I remember one post where someone was oblivious and their dog attacked a small dog in the apartment complex...some members had the wear-withal to blame the little terrier as it was "teasing" the big GSD. GSD ripped the leash out of the owner's hand and went over to the other dog...but it was the sweetest dog ever before that!

·
Registered
270 Posts
but dogs also save the insurance company's an unknown amount of money by acting as a burglar deterrent.

too bad there's no real way to put a dollar amount on that.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Excellent point Montu. We are extremely risk averse and since most of the dog bite victims are children being bitten by their OWN family dogs, it gets all out of kilter.

On the topic in general, I recall reading somewhere that actually dog bites are less frequent then they were in previous decades. If that is the case why then is this such a problem?

Here's part of the answer from the article:

Though the number of bite claims has not changed much in the past 10 years, costs have risen because medical care costs more.

According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, there were close to 27,800 reconstructive procedures, including ones for children, to repair dog bites in 2012.
Years ago you got bit in the face by a dog you lived with the scars. Now a days, expecially for children, they have the tech to do reconstructive surgery. That cost is being passed onto to all of us though.

Is it good that people can be made whole again, absolutely yes, BUT can we as dog owners afford to carry this burden more and more EVEN when most cases involve the family's own pet?

I don't know but at some point something is going to have to give because most of us can't afford to keep paying higher and higer rates for insurance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts