German Shepherds Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
To me insurance is worth it even if you don't need it because it gives you piece of mind. If you can put up a huge amount every month and can cover the rest if you have an emergency...great! But if you don't you may find yourself making a very difficult decision one day :(

When Nikki had to have emergency surgery she had to stay in the hospital for four days for a total of around $4,100. I received a check from PetPlan before my credit card bill was due.

I don't have to rely on my credit card but that would be an option to have a credit card for emergencies along with insurance. Not too long ago I was at the vet with our bird and a young men was in there very upset. I don't know if he had a dog or cat but he didn't have any money. The receptionist told him that nobody is going to see his pet for free :( I walked in on the end of the conversation so I don't know the whole story but I felt horrible for him and the pet.
I have a separate credit card I use just for my pets and pay it off as soon as I get my check back. It usually takes a few weeks to get paid.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
This is very true. But what happens if you need an expensive procedure and you don't have the money up front to cover it? In my time I've only seen 1 insurance claim actually reimbursed directly to the clinic. I remember a gentleman calling around one time, his older lab needed an MRI and his insurance would reimburse him in 9-10 days but he didn't have the money to pay up front. No clinic would do the procedure without payment up front. Crappy situation. That insurance wasn't doing him a lot of good, a nice little savings account by then would of though

I'm not trying to say insurance is HORRIBLE, don't do it. I'm just trying to give the realistic flip side of the coin that a lot of people don't think about - mainly still having to pay the clinic up front
I think the idea of having a separate credit card for pet vet bills is awesome. You're right most clinics expect to get paid up front which is what the credit card would be for. The plan I use paid out me claim within 2 weeks, which would be more than enough time to pay the credit card bill when you get it.

I also believe as someone else mentioned that if you were on the fence about getting tests or procedures done because of the cost, IMO you would be more likely to have it done if you had insurance.

We're in the same state, get a quote from PetPlan, I'll bet it wouldn't be more than $35.00 a month for Berlin.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I think the idea of having a separate credit card for pet vet bills is awesome. You're right most clinics expect to get paid up front which is what the credit card would be for. The plan I use paid out me claim within 2 weeks, which would be more than enough time to pay the credit card bill when you get it.

I also believe as someone else mentioned that if you were on the fence about getting tests or procedures done because of the cost, IMO you would be more likely to have it done if you had insurance.

We're in the same state, get a quote from PetPlan, I'll bet it wouldn't be more than $35.00 a month for Berlin.
Haha pet insurance is kind of pointless for me I get basically free care. Free lab work and xrays, plus my job gives me a 3000 $ pet stipend every year. Ive already had surgery on one cat this year (removed a lymph node) and paid nothing.

But credit card is great. I recommend care credit to EVERYONE, just to have in case of emergency.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
1,116 Posts
You should avoid paying insurances wherever you could. Insurance companies are designed for making money, not loosing them, that is just feeding uncle Larry when you don't need him and unlikely you would ever need him. But, if you're tuned this way, open another bank account for your dog and start placing money there.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I decided to add up Nikki's EOB's for each year to see how much PetPlan has reimbursed us so far. Nikki needs treatment the rest of her life for her EPI/IBD/Atopy/B12 Deficiency. Maybe this will help people decide if insurance is worth it or not for them :)

1st year (Jan 2010) - I paid $387 in premiums
PetPlan paid $8517

2nd year 2011 - I paid $439
PetPlan paid $8703

3rd year 2012 - I paid $488
PetPlan paid $9347

4th year 2013 - I will pay $602
PetPlan has paid $3644 so far

This is just the cost for her health issues and not her food which costs approx. $400 per month.

Reactions: bchevs

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Thanks, I am going to see them for my pet coverage, Recently my friend gifted my new pup and it's necessary to have insurance to be on the safe side :)

Look at Healthy Paws. Petplan has become pretty pricey and the renewals are expensive every year

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think whether or not pet insurance is worth it really depends on your situation. If you already have money in the bank (personally I would want minimum of $5000) and you are good at managing your money then you may be in a position to keep a separate account just for the animals and just add to it every paycheck. Otherwise, I would go with pet insurance personally.

I looked into it recently and decided not to go with it because:
1) Whiskey already has a pre-existing condition, so nothing related to that would be covered and I could see him having issues stemming from it in the future so I need to save up some money for him either way.
2) I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. It was too expensive to insure all of them, so I would prefer to put that money away so it can be used for whoever needs vet care.
3) When I added up the costs, I would have paid over $11,000 into pet insurance over the course of my pup's life. That's a tough pill for me to swallow lol

BUT. I seriously considered it because:
1) I have friends who swear by their insurance (Trupanion). I have paid quite a bit of money out of pocket this year for both my pups while all of a friend's bills were covered.
2) Vet bills add up FAST. Whiskey was perfectly healthy until he had his spinal clot. If he had needed surgery I was looking at upwards of $12000, which they wanted up front (be sure you have a credit card that can cover something like this!!). We got lucky and he didn't need the surgery, but I was still around $3000 in the hole, not including all his rehab afterwards.
3) Vet bills add up FAST!! After swimming Nova got an eye infection and Whiskey got an ear infection. So there's two exam fees, cost of the tests they did and the cost of the medication for each of them. It was probably around $300 just for two very common infections.

I think if I didn't have four animals and one with a pre-existing condition I would have gotten the insurance.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all insurances are equal. Check maximum payouts, copays, deductibles, conditions that may not be covered, etc. I found after looking at these a lot of insurances weren't worth it IMO. Trupanion was the best I found, but I'm in Canada so there may be better options if you live elsewhere.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts