German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you have pet insurance? Who with, and how is the experience... I'm making my first claim now and want to know other's experiences

Does your home owners insurance know you have a GSD? Any effect? What state are you in if so?

·
Registered
508 Posts
I don't carry pet health insurance. Most of those expenses just get rolled into corporate expenses.

just met with my agent today. The gsd (or other dogs in general) have no berring on my policy. however I'm carring a 3 million liability on my place, so the liability effect of the dog is considered negligible.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't carry pet health insurance. Most of those expenses just get rolled into corporate expenses.

just met with my agent today. The gsd (or other dogs in general) have no berring on my policy. however I'm carring a 3 million liability on my place, so the liability effect of the dog is considered negligible.
What do you mean "gets rolled into corporate expenses"?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Vet care is a category in the corporation. It incompases everything, cattle, sheep, chickens, goats, and yes... the occassional dog expenses. Its a perk of the business. :blush:

Just popped open the books, last year the vet bills totaled a grand. I got off pretty well last year considering how many house calls I had. I guess it helps to be on a prefered customer list with my clinic.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vet care is a category in the corporation. It incompases everything, cattle, sheep, chickens, goats, and yes... the occassional dog expenses. Its a perk of the business. :blush:

Just popped open the books, last year the vet bills totaled a grand. I got off pretty well last year considering how many house calls I had. I guess it helps to be on a prefered customer list with my clinic.
I'm still confused... do you own a farm or something?

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'm in TX and have Farmer's. They know I have GSDs and don't have a problem with it.

I don't use pet insurance because I have a sizeable emergency fund, but if I didn't have that I'd probably have pet insurance.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in TX and have Farmer's. They know I have GSDs and don't have a problem with it.

I don't use pet insurance because I have a sizeable emergency fund, but if I didn't have that I'd probably have pet insurance.
I just have the emergency insurance with cancer endorsement. Not the kind that pays for flea meds, etc etc. Its like $20 per month

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I just have the emergency insurance with cancer endorsement. Not the kind that pays for flea meds, etc etc. Its like $20 per month
We don't have pet insurance but have been looking. What type of insurance do you have and what does it cover?
I've been getting confused with all they different stuff out there and I'm looking for recommendations.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We don't have pet insurance but have been looking. What type of insurance do you have and what does it cover?
I've been getting confused with all they different stuff out there and I'm looking for recommendations.
VPI superior with cancer endorsement. Like 20-25 per dog per month. I don't see my plan on their site, but its definitely called that... I'm looking at the schedule right now. Its a list of like... thousands of specific things with specific dollar amounts so I couldn't possibly list it here. Basically, it covers things that aren't normal... injuries, illnesses, cancer, etc. Not stuff like flea/tick, heartworm, doggy flu...

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM me your email and I'll shoot you my benefit schedule

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have VPI superior plan but I have the core care coverage as well (covers well exams, vaccines, HW test and meds, etc). They just changed some of their plans and I think the superior is now called major medical. I tried to move Buddy into that one because the reimbursement is better and their is no deductible (there is a $50 deductible for each separate illness or injury) but he was not eligible because he just recently had TPLO surgery (torn CCL in his knee). I pay ~$38/month (he is 5 years old) and this year I have definitely made my money back with the surgery and he also had another tendon injury on his front leg.
Melinda

·
Registered
508 Posts
I operate a farm. If I only had one dog, I might consider pet insurance. As it is, my method works better for me.

I can understand having insurance for expensive treatments on young dogs, for things like broken bones, X-rays, stitches, and so forth. I even had a border collie one time years ago, (my first border) come up to the house from the pastures with the tip of her tail missing. I rushed her to the vet, and they shortened it by about two or three inches, and she no longer had a pretty white tip on her tail. (we concluded that maybe it got caught on a fence, one of those things that might not have been avoided even if I were right there) Those little runs into the vet clinic can add up pretty quick. Insurance would have been nice in that instance.

However, when it comes to major events, like organ transplants, or cancer treatments, my take on it is probably going to be a lot different than a lot of peoples opinion on this forum.

(this is where I get "booed" off the forum)

My opinion, (and this is entirely my opinion) is that you have to draw a line somewhere. At the end of the day, as much as I love my dogs, and dearly do, they are that, just a dog. I won't go bankrupt for the care of a dog. It is my duty to keep my dogs comfortable, but I won't spend thousands of dollars to keep my dogs on life support. It's a matter of dollars and cents, and I arrive at the decision of what care I give my dogs from that aspect, and it's not a decision that I ever take lightly.

I know it's sounds cold and heartless, but if I have a 10 year old dog, and it comes up with two blown out knees and needs a double knee surgery at the tune of $3000, I will probably pass, and seek other alternatives. (which is exactly what happened to me on my last border collie) And she was the one dog that I have owned that would have been worth the three grand operation with what she was able to do in reguards to handling my livestock. If I would have had insurance I probably would have went ahead and had the surgery done for her. She got along just fine for years after that on meticam when she needed it. She learned to cope simply by not using her back knees, and she continued to live a quality life, doing what she loved for several years after that event.

I lost my mom to cancer in January of 2009. I was her care taker for her finnal months. It was just awful, watching her suffer, and suffer, and suffer. For over two years, she went through surgery, then chemo, then radiation, then repeat, then repeat, then they said their was nothing more then could do surgery wise, so she thought she would continue the chemo. I saw her being sick for the finnal years of her life, getting weak, hurting, hair falling out, loosing her freedoms, the quality of her life was just gone. Her pain wasn't managed well. She was in and out of hospice three times for pain management. Her finnal months, she was on so many different pain meds, heavy, heavy narcottics, (methadone, oxycodone, fentinal, etc.) She hated being loopy, she hated being bombed out of her mind with the pain meds, but if she didn't take them, then she was out of her mind in pain from the cancer, and the radiation burns.

Well, after living through that, I don't think I would ever put a pet through that, even if they have cancer insurance.

God put dogs on this earth to live for 10-15 years. (maybe more if we are lucky) If they come down with something like cancer, I'm not going to take part in the reduction of their quality of life in exchange for a larger quantity of life, of being sick, throwing up, hurting, suffering. I personally would feel as if I were the direct cause of their continued suffering. Even if it were to only be for a couple of years. Two years in a dogs life is well over a decade to you and I.

I know that there are those who would never endourse euthaniza under any circumstances for their pets or any other animal for that matter.

I however do. I just don't feel it's fair to allow a poor dumb animal to suffer. We can't purchase eternal life for our pets, through chemo, radiation, and radical surgerys. There comes a point where we just have to say goodbye and let go. That's a lesson I learned early in life from living on a farm.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I operate a farm. If I only had one dog, I might consider pet insurance. As it is, my method works better for me.

I can understand having insurance for expensive treatments on young dogs, for things like broken bones, X-rays, stitches, and so forth. I even had a border collie one time years ago, (my first border) come up to the house from the pastures with the tip of her tail missing. I rushed her to the vet, and they shortened it by about two or three inches, and she no longer had a pretty white tip on her tail. (we concluded that maybe it got caught on a fence, one of those things that might not have been avoided even if I were right there) Those little runs into the vet clinic can add up pretty quick. Insurance would have been nice in that instance.

However, when it comes to major events, like organ transplants, or cancer treatments, my take on it is probably going to be a lot different than a lot of peoples opinion on this forum.

(this is where I get "booed" off the forum)

My opinion, (and this is entirely my opinion) is that you have to draw a line somewhere. At the end of the day, as much as I love my dogs, and dearly do, they are that, just a dog. I won't go bankrupt for the care of a dog. It is my duty to keep my dogs comfortable, but I won't spend thousands of dollars to keep my dogs on life support. It's a matter of dollars and cents, and I arrive at the decision of what care I give my dogs from that aspect, and it's not a decision that I ever take lightly.

I know it's sounds cold and heartless, but if I have a 10 year old dog, and it comes up with two blown out knees and needs a double knee surgery at the tune of $3000, I will probably pass, and seek other alternatives. (which is exactly what happened to me on my last border collie) And she was the one dog that I have owned that would have been worth the three grand operation with what she was able to do in reguards to handling my livestock. If I would have had insurance I probably would have went ahead and had the surgery done for her. She got along just fine for years after that on meticam when she needed it. She learned to cope simply by not using her back knees, and she continued to live a quality life, doing what she loved for several years after that event.

I lost my mom to cancer in January of 2009. I was her care taker for her finnal months. It was just awful, watching her suffer, and suffer, and suffer. For over two years, she went through surgery, then chemo, then radiation, then repeat, then repeat, then they said their was nothing more then could do surgery wise, so she thought she would continue the chemo. I saw her being sick for the finnal years of her life, getting weak, hurting, hair falling out, loosing her freedoms, the quality of her life was just gone. Her pain wasn't managed well. She was in and out of hospice three times for pain management. Her finnal months, she was on so many different pain meds, heavy, heavy narcottics, (methadone, oxycodone, fentinal, etc.) She hated being loopy, she hated being bombed out of her mind with the pain meds, but if she didn't take them, then she was out of her mind in pain from the cancer, and the radiation burns.

Well, after living through that, I don't think I would ever put a pet through that, even if they have cancer insurance.

God put dogs on this earth to live for 10-15 years. (maybe more if we are lucky) If they come down with something like cancer, I'm not going to take part in the reduction of their quality of life in exchange for a larger quantity of life, of being sick, throwing up, hurting, suffering. I personally would feel as if I were the direct cause of their continued suffering. Even if it were to only be for a couple of years. Two years in a dogs life is well over a decade to you and I.

I know that there are those who would never endourse euthaniza under any circumstances for their pets or any other animal for that matter.

I however do. I just don't feel it's fair to allow a poor dumb animal to suffer. We can't purchase eternal life for our pets, through chemo, radiation, and radical surgerys. There comes a point where we just have to say goodbye and let go. That's a lesson I learned early in life from living on a farm.
I see your points and agree for the most part. I just simply don't care much about money. My dog got bloat at 2, and I never even considered not paying for the surgery. Thought never went through my mind. That was $3k. The way I've always thought, for example, is I spent $6k on the suspension of my truck. Its great, but its an inanimate object. It will never be any where near the realm of the joy my dogs give me. I have far over $10k in fishing rods... really... fishing rods... who knew they were so expensive. It adds up. I would feel like I'm doing an injustice by being willing to spend any less on the dogs, who are very much members of my family. Infact, in this case, they are the entirety of my family. So long as I had the cash available, I wouldn't blink an eye at spending $10k to save my dog. If it were a hopeless situation, thats a different story where I might have to consider if I was being fair, or selfish in keeping the dog alive... but for a young dog... money is easy come, easy go. For all the things outside my friends, family, and loved ones, its a business decision. For the friends, family, and loved ones... I'll gladly trade cash for the few people (and animals) I trust and love on this earth.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I see your points and agree for the most part. I just simply don't care much about money. My dog got bloat at 2, and I never even considered not paying for the surgery. Thought never went through my mind. That was $3k. The way I've always thought, for example, is I spent $6k on the suspension of my truck. Its great, but its an inanimate object. It will never be any where near the realm of the joy my dogs give me. I have far over $10k in fishing rods... really... fishing rods... who knew they were so expensive. It adds up. I would feel like I'm doing an injustice by being willing to spend any less on the dogs, who are very much members of my family. Infact, in this case, they are the entirety of my family. So long as I had the cash available, I wouldn't blink an eye at spending $10k to save my dog. If it were a hopeless situation, thats a different story where I might have to consider if I was being fair, or selfish in keeping the dog alive... but for a young dog... money is easy come, easy go. For all the things outside my friends, family, and loved ones, its a business decision. For the friends, family, and loved ones... I'll gladly trade cash for the few people (and animals) I trust and love on this earth.
Good points.
For me too, (now I'm sounding like one of those "death pannels") I would have an easier time spending 3K on a two year old dog, than that same amount on a 10 year old dog. But the thought does enter my mind, how many replacement dogs could I adopt from the HS for that same three K. How many lives could I save, especially when the outlook for the procedure might be less than rosie.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good points.
For me too, (now I'm sounding like one of those "death pannels") I would have an easier time spending 3K on a two year old dog, than that same amount on a 10 year old dog. But the thought does enter my mind, how many replacement dogs could I adopt from the HS for that same three K. How many lives could I save, especially when the outlook for the procedure might be less than rosie.
Well I don't really equate that dollar figure with what I could do with the money otherwise. For my male, it went like this... and this was 2 months after my good friend burned $5k on surgery and lost the dog 1 day later anyway...

Ok... he has bloat for sure. Whats it gonna cost? $3k... ok, can I scrap that together? Yes. Ok Dr., why isn't he on the operating table yet.

I never though about how many more dogs I could have bought with the money (kinda heartless), or how many dogs I could have saved with that same cash (much more noble). All I cared about was my best friend on the table dying. I'd have hocked my car at that moment with no regrets.

I just honestly don't care that much about material possession or money... not because they are easily had (they aren't), but because I can, over time, replace those things. Once my beloved dog is gone, he/she is gone. I can get another dog, but I'll never again have him/her again.

I can't take the money with me when I cash out, so I fully intend on burning it all while I'm here :)

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
On the side note, it looks like I"ve got about $3.6k to spend on my dog in March... nothing threatening. Dental stuff. I don't care about that either. I'm sure if I counted how much I spent on booze in 2010 its probably more. I just can't justify not spending it. I'd rather see that money fix my dogs teeth than go into the gas tank, or cover 30 nights out on the town

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I bought a $12k policy on Anna through Petplan a week after we got her. Although it doesn't pay for routine care (I don't think you should have a dog if you can't cover routine care, but thats my opinion) I have it for emergencies and large dollar figure treatment-- and Petplan does pay for hereditary conditions GSDs are prone too.

We've used it a few times for little things. The first few claims take a bit longer because they require all your vets background records, etc. But she was just diagnosed with Pannus, a lifelong illness. In the last month and a half we've gained back our yearly premium, and plus some by the time this policy year is overwith.

I just submitted our latest claim Monday and I just saw the check was put in the mail yesterday/today. Considering her eyedrops can run about $80 for the pair, they will reimburse for that as long as the policy is in force. I'm quite happy with it, it was a great decision!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts