German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

I am getting a new GSD puppy in two weeks and previously had insurance through Nationwide Pet Insurance through my employer, for my recently passed GSD who lived to almost 11.

We had a couple of scares, most notably bloat (GDV) and we were covered for a large percentage of this and his policy also included wellness visits, it was definitely a blessing to have pet insurance..

When I contacted Nationwide about enrolling my new puppy, I was informed that they've changed their coverages and now offer 2 policies

1. Pet Protection Plus - $32.20 per month
  • No Wellness Coverage (They used to offer this coverage, but no longer)
  • $250 Deductible (Up from $100)
  • $7500 limit
  • Accidents, including poisonings and allergic reactions
  • Injuries, including cuts, sprains and broken bones
  • Common illnesses, including ear infections, vomiting and diarrhea
  • Serious/chronic illnesses, including cancer and diabetes
  • Hereditary and congenital conditions
  • Surgeries and hospitalization
  • X-rays, MRIs and CT scans
  • Prescription medications and therapeutic diets
2. Major Medical
  • Wellness coverage included up to $500
  • 1 year wait for hereditary/ACL
  • $75 coverage on vaccinations/heartworm meds and bloodwork.
  • I can't recall the limit per year, and they're closed today, but I think it was upwards of $5000.
I think #1 would be better, but miss the wellness coverage and thought I would check in here to see what people recommended.

From what I can see there are a lot of fans of Healthy Paws and Trupanion and also found another company that was highly rated by Forbes Advisor called ManyPets.

Am thinking about foregoing the plan offered through work and just pay for it myself.

Thanks in advance.

doug

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi All.

I am getting a new GSD puppy in two weeks and previously had insurance through Nationwide Pet Insurance through my employer, for my recently passed GSD who lived to almost 11.

We had a couple of scares, most notably bloat (GDV) and we were covered for a large percentage of this and his policy also included wellness visits, it was definitely a blessing to have pet insurance..

When I contacted Nationwide about enrolling my new puppy, I was informed that they've changed their coverages and now offer 2 policies

1. Pet Protection Plus - $32.20 per month
  • No Wellness Coverage (They used to offer this coverage, but no longer)
  • $250 Deductible (Up from $100)
  • $7500 limit
  • Accidents, including poisonings and allergic reactions
  • Injuries, including cuts, sprains and broken bones
  • Common illnesses, including ear infections, vomiting and diarrhea
  • Serious/chronic illnesses, including cancer and diabetes
  • Hereditary and congenital conditions
  • Surgeries and hospitalization
  • X-rays, MRIs and CT scans
  • Prescription medications and therapeutic diets
2. Major Medical
  • Wellness coverage included up to $500
  • 1 year wait for hereditary/ACL
  • $75 coverage on vaccinations/heartworm meds and bloodwork.
  • I can't recall the limit per year, and they're closed today, but I think it was upwards of $5000.
I think #1 would be better, but miss the wellness coverage and thought I would check in here to see what people recommended.

From what I can see there are a lot of fans of Healthy Paws and Trupanion and also found another company that was highly rated by Forbes Advisor called ManyPets.

Am thinking about foregoing the plan offered through work and just pay for it myself.

Thanks in advance.

doug
I’ve used Trupanion since 2008 for my English Bulldog without any complaints. We had TPLO surgery, was on Apoquel for hot spots for years etc. It’s great to have the security knowing everything is covered without any lifetime limits. Right now for our GSD puppy we have Trupanion since he was 8 weeks old and haven’t need to file any claims . Yet we pay $101/ mo , I believe I chose a $250 deductible per incident and wellness visits not included. Good luck with your pup!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts