German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the last thing I would have even thought about was my homeowners not carrying my pup :( and now not even me.

I am with selective and called just to check after being on the forums here...and nope german shepherds are on the black list ..and bad dogs. So I have until the 12 of next month to get covered with somebody else :( and nobody is going to beat their rates..which ok I'll pay extra but somebody help me find a company that will even insure me.

I saw farm bureau mentioned and we used to be with them but I just put a call into one of the agents and she thinks they have restrictions in there too :( she is checking into it. I guess the next call will be state farm

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
We have home and auto through Meemic. My shepherds cost $50 additional per year but their rate and coverage is still so much better. In fact I should probably call them since I adopted a pit bull mix this weekend and I'm guessing they're on the "list" too.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I believe Progressive is okay with Shepherds.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I have USAA and they are fine with GSD. When I bought my house I was still doing SchH with my first GSD. They asked what breed of dog I have, then asked if she had ever bitten anyone. I paused and then explained about the sport. They got a supervisor on the phone and I explained it again. They were fine once they understood.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
We have USAA as well and they've never asked about what breed we have. I always tell them and they're just like "Yeah that's fine"

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have American Family Insurance and German Shepherds are not on their list. No problem with insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How long after getting the dog do you have to tell the insurance company/how do they find out? Obviously I am changing my policy as my company does not cover GSD, however, I am training him as a therapy/service dog and that changes things a little bit. Do they check with the town when you register them, or what? Im hoping to buy myself a little time, as he is a puppy and not going to be a major perceived "threat" for a while.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
You're not obligated to tell them at all, but if something happens and you make a claim against your homeowner's (like say your dog bites a guest and they want you to pay for their medical costs) then you wouldn't be covered. My insurance company never checks, they go based purely on what I tell them. They don't care because if I try to make a claim regarding a dog (or something) that isn't properly covered that's my fault.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I switched insurance companies last year to Travelers and while they did ask if I had dogs and if either had a bite history, they insure with GSDs.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I, too, have Travelers with no issues.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Hartford is good with all breeds except pitbulls.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had USAA. GSDs were on their list but they would issue insurance - you merely had to pay more. Interestingly, I inquired whether Malinois and Dutch Shepherds were on their list - Nope!

While having to pay a little more to be insured with a GSD was not a deal killer, it caused me to look around (because as a matter of principle it ticked me off). After doing so, I ended up switching all my insurance over to Travelers. They did not have GSDs on any list and I ended up saving a ton on homeowners and auto.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I have American Family Insurance and they allow GSDs

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Farmers Insurance allows GSDs. Liberty Mutual asked what breed I had and when I explained they both had their CGC there was no further issue.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Went on a website and found this(which is a good thing because I have State Farm)

A dog's tendency to bite depends on such factors as heredity, obedience training, socialization, health, and the victim's behavior. There are good dogs and bad dogs within every breed, just as there can be responsible and irresponsible owners of each breed. State Farm does not refuse insurance based on the breed of dog a customer owns in any U.S. state.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh it's not only dog bites with Selective...if I had a fire and they find out I have a german shepherd..the claim gets thrown out and I'm automatically cancelled..how much does that suck?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got a quote from state farm today...it's going to run me about 300 more a year in insurance ...but I'm guessing I have to do what I have to do..at least my butt will be covered

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I have Allstate, and they accepted the GSDs.

·
Registered
637 Posts
allstate and state farm are all independently owned, so some will say ok to blacklisted dogs and some will say no. every insurance company has a blacklist breed list. most of them include gsd, dobe, husky, akita, great dane,chow, pitbull, american bulldog, sharpei, rotti, mastiff. selective has 17 blacklisted breeds .. they dont tell you that they blacklist the dog , its more of a secret, which is stupid. if more people would sue the insurance companies over this type of discrimination it might eventually get thrown out where the carriers cant discriminate ( i am an insurance underwriter and i think its totally unfair),. the carriers go based on claim payouts as to what breed they will deny.. i had NJM who was fine with rotts, gsds and pitbulls but wouldnt insure my new home because my above ground pool isnt fenced in.. so i went with liberty mutual who i had years ago who made their rules that power breeds had to attend obedience courses and you couldnt live near a school.. now with liberty mutual again cause they dont care that my above ground pool isnt fenced in , they had their rep come out and meet my gsd and pitx to approve them.

some homeowner carriers will deny a claim if you have a blacklisted breed .

most of them are now accepting CGC and atts.org titles on power breeds and various obedience titles and will insure them to a degree. of course once a bite happens they wont insure you anymore (which is a crock of **** if you ask me).

my liberty mutual policy is $300 higher then NJM but i will do whatever it takes to find a carrier to insure my home and my dogs

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have Farmers Insurance Comp. of Flemington. They asked if I owned a dog about 8 or so years ago (along with other questions I forget). I kept not answering the letter. They kept sending it. Finally I just answered it as someone would have to pry one of my dogs from my cold dead hands to get him. Anyway they never raised my rates or asked again....

You should actually get a discount. My Kaos was really friendly. But no one would ever dare try and break in. Just his bark could wake the dead.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts