German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving home yesterday, noticed a field with 2 people training their gsds. i parked next to their cars, and enjoyed their tracking training as well as some obedience. i waited in my truck until they were finished as too not disturb them. i must say the dogs were beautiful and friendly. when i inquired if they were part of local club and such, where the dogs were from, i was basically told gsd are not for everyone, and i should consider another breed. i did get them to answer where their breeder was from, Lancaster pa. i felt good after being treated so poorly as i stated" i don't support puppy mills". just my rant for the day.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The GSDs were from puppy mills?

Why didn't you tell them you're an experienced dog owner?!? I think that would've also put them in their place for being rude.

I usually tell people to do a lot of research before getting a husky (or even a GSD). They do require experience. But I try not to be rude about it c:.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I'm not following...did you assume their dogs were from a puppy mill because of the area? Perhaps not the way you thought the conversation would go, but how were you insulted?

·
Registered
418 Posts
I live not far from Lancaster, it's known as the puppy mill city:(

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
That's pretty rude. Did you tell them that you've owned Shepherds?

Lancaster = puppy mills. Sad but true. But that doesn't mean their dogs came from a mill.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i was really insulted, more shocked at their attitude. i did tell them i owned quite a few gsd, but wasnt really interested in giving a verbal resume. i was really interested in finding out if they were part of gsd club close to me. i was in the town i grew up in and only 25 minutes from home. since i didn't meet their "standards" i just went on my way checking to see what was going on in some of the fishing spots that i frequent.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Maybe, just maybe they thought who is that weirdo sitting in his truck watching us with our dogs. I know I would be a little freaked out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
831 Posts
Maybe they get asked that kind of stuff a lot and that's just normally what they say... Though it is pretty rude to assume that you're probably not capable of owning a GSD without really talking to you.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
well i was really insulted, more shocked at their attitude. i did tell them i owned quite a few gsd, but wasnt really interested in giving a verbal resume. i was really interested in finding out if they were part of gsd club close to me. i was in the town i grew up in and only 25 minutes from home. since i didn't meet their "standards" i just went on my way checking to see what was going on in some of the fishing spots that i frequent.
I do understand now. Some people think they own the approved stamp on certain things. They did sound rude.

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
Somewhere...there are two people still on fire cuz their dogs were called puppy mill dogs...lol

·
Registered
31,891 Posts
Actually, there are two people talking about the PETA person that might be targeting their dogs.

When you said, that you don't support puppy mills, after seeing a pair of dogs working at what they were bred to do, it sounds like you are against pure-bred dogs, kind of like PETA. At least I would have taken it that way, and I know Lancaster is synonymous for puppy mills. You asked who their breeder was, it sounds like you are just totally against people breeding pure-bred dogs.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
You are overthinking the whole situation. The people probably think youre a whacko for accusing them of puppymill crap. They were focused on the dogs, and werent in socialization mode, and then you accused them of having a poorly bred dog??? Id be upset if you told me that.

It sounds like they were doing some advanced work if it caught your attention. And they dont want every dummy thinking that they can buy a gsd and this obedience just magically happens.
Also, clubs of all types are ful of politics, maybe they had bad experiences at the local clubs and you asking about it put them off. I can tell I wouldnt like some of the local clubs, they take days off from training to do club meetings???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts