German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have currently begun my search for my second IPO dog. I am currently training my 3yr old bitch and while she is doing quite well, I'm very aware that I will need to get a dog more suited for the sport to really excel.

I am in touch with a few breeders who have been keeping an eye out for a dog that may suite my needs, and have been mostly looking into working lines. With that, I have also been in touch with 1 WGSL breeder whom feels they may have a dog that Is suitable. They have been very honest with me and explained to me that this is the only dog from their litter they feel would be the right fit, though I am a bit on the edge as WGSL wasn't really on my radar.
I do really like this boys look and from what she has told me, his temperament and drive are right around what I'm looking for as well, as someone just getting into the sport and not looking for an "extreme" dog or one they may be too much for me to handle at this time.

His pedigree does have some names that I recognize but wanted some more experienced eyes to give it a look too just to get a bit of an overview of what I'm looking in to.

FLAME OF THE FAME Grand Endeavorer Blaze

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
If you want to get more involved in IPO, find a breeder who does IPO with their dogs. Be honest about what you are looking for. A good breeder wouldn’t match an over the top, needs to be worked hard every day, cannot settle in the house puppy with someone new to the sport. Where are you located? Are you currently training with an IPO club?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unless I'm missing something, this isn't someone I'd expect to actually know if a dog is capable of IPO. If thats your goal, I'd look elsewhere.
https://www.facebook.com/flameofthefame/
I am looking in various places and have a few different WL breeders who are keeping an eye out for a suitable dog as I am leaning heavily in that direction, this is just one area (WGSL's) that I am unfamiliar with and wanting to know more about.

Breeder and I have been speaking for a few days now and she understands that I am looking for something very particular and has offered to have the dog worked by another for a better evaluation. At this point in time I have my options wide open and not going to discount him quite yet until the eval happens and I'm also able to see videos myself.
Though I'm in no rush to get my next dog and I won't be just settling.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The first thing that strikes me about this dog is his hind legs. He's got very light bone, and his legs may not be up to the stress of all the jumping an IPO dog has to do. His front pasterns are quite upright too, which is not ideal for jumping and shock absorption.

If you want a dog with the right temperament for IPO a working line dogs is your best bet, not a show line.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you want to get more involved in IPO, find a breeder who does IPO with their dogs. Be honest about what you are looking for. A good breeder wouldn’t match an over the top, needs to be worked hard every day, cannot settle in the house puppy with someone new to the sport. Where are you located? Are you currently training with an IPO club?
I am in contact with a few breeders that do indeed do IPO with their dogs and looking both locally and over sea's. I specifically am asking about this breeder because I have people who are actively keeping an eye out for a dog that fits what I am looking for and this specific dog is one that was considered a potential match, but because I rarely look into WGSL's I know very little of the known bloodlines. ie. why I'm looking for insight on this particular pedigree.

I have a very specific type of dog I'm looking for and not bent on one line or another, and while a WL is most likely going to fit that bill more readily, I have no plans to discount any others if I'm approached with a potential.

I am apart of a IPO club where they are also keeping an eye out as well. Not looking for a puppy, but an adolescent.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The dogs that are really close up in the pedigree aren't dogs most North Americans are familiar with, so I don't think we can be much help with the pedigree.

It's the individual dog that's most important anyway. And I've got a female show line with better bone than that dog...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The first thing that strikes me about this dog is his hind legs. He's got very light bone, and his legs may not be up to the stress of all the jumping an IPO dog has to do. His front pasterns are quite upright too, which is not ideal for jumping and shock absorption.

If you want a dog with the right temperament for IPO a working line dogs is your best bet, not a show line.
Yes conformation was one of this biggest things that put me off for this dog, though I am not generally a fan of WGSL so I try not to be bias. He is still young though so that could possibly account for the lack of bone. Though he does have pretty narrow hips.

In terms of temperament, I am told he is more similar to what a WL would be then standard SL. But again, I won't know for sure until he's evaluated by another.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
You can tell if a pup has good bone at 8 weeks. His bone is NOT going to get better, though his muscles will fill out.
Here's my pup at 8 weeks. It was the first thing I noticed about this photo:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Other issues with his conformation: upright shoulder, narrow hips, light bone, steep croup, upright pasterns.

He also has a few faults that won't affect his performance: his tail should not be so long that it's dragging on the ground, and (very common with the show lines, but I still don't like it) his head looks to be too big for his body, and he has a slightly Roman nose and droopy flews.

I would at least get a dog that looks like it's up to the stress of doing IPO, then have the club trainer assess it to see if it's got the right temperament.

Show lines CAN work - we have one in our club that's an absolute powerhouse. It' just that you're more likely to find the 'right stuff' with a working line. Also, I've seen some showlines with such exaggerated conformation that they have trouble doing the jumps. Conformation DOES affect working ability.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you have your doubts already.... I would listen to that inner voice.
I always have doubts on WGSL's because I know so little about them! Not to mention I get kind of iffy with roaching (just my personal preference).

Buuuut, I figured I'd get some second opinions and try not to be bias. Definitely glad I did!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only thing you'll have with this dog, is someones word. Make sure its someone you can trust.
Very good advice! Probably why I've been in search for over a year now :laugh:

But you know what they say, All good things come in time!

·
Registered
31,765 Posts
I'm suspicious of any "dominant" black GSD. I would want a DNA to confirm parentage.

second, if I remember right, you are in Maryland. You have so many good litters around you. Why are you looking here for an IPO prospect?

Reactions: Sunsilver

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
That has got to be just about the worst stacking job I've ever seen! The dog's rear end looks like it's falling sideways!

Very hard to tell what the dog's conformation would look like if she were properly stacked, but I don't think it would be very good. She is very long in the body.

·
Registered
31,765 Posts
@Curing. vom evolution has a stellar litter right now. I've trained with the father. Interacted with the mother at her home. It's a repeat litter. Super solid pups.
Litters - Vom evolution

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Too much Zamp. I would expect the dog to be soft in temperament and maybe lack the nerve you would like for sport.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Very good advice! Probably why I've been in search for over a year now :laugh:

But you know what they say, All good things come in time!
If I'm seeing this right and that dog is in the Ukraine? I don't care what the pedigree says, I would be very worried you're getting ripped off. Curing, either you're dealing with someone online you shouldn't put your trust in, or someone you have actually met isn't someone you should trust in this. Whatever you do, don't buy a dog online.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts