German Shepherds Forum banner

Inside Or Out?

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mostly inside, but she has a doggy door so she can go out/in whenever she wants.

Is this you still trying to convince your dad to get one as an indoor dog? Because judging by your other thread it seems like nothing is going to convince him otherwise.

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mostly inside, but she has a doggy door so she can go out/in whenever she wants.

Is this you still trying to convince your dad to get one as an indoor dog? Because judging by your other thread it seems like nothing is going to convince him otherwise.
No. Just wondering. If you saw my previous post you know that me getting a GSD is a no go. This is just for fun. Getting people's opinion

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
My dogs have always been inside, with me. Just because they CAN survive outside doesn't mean they SHOULD. The entire point is to have a companion. If I go outside, then my dog(s) come with me. And if I'm inside, that's where the dog(s) will be. Simple as that.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Inside/outside. He stays outside when we aren't home and he sleeps outside. It's made his separation anxiety extremely easy to manage if he gets enough alone time each day. I can actually leave the house and leave him alone IN the house and not come back to a mangled crate, claw marks, broken windows, and stress diarrhea everywhere. But when he spends too much time around people and gets used to it, he goes back to his anxious ways if you try to leave him alone to do something simple like go get groceries.

I also like having him outside enough so that his coat adjusts to the weather.

·
Registered
371 Posts
All my Adult dogs are outside when we are not home.They have an open Run and the backyard. They are in the run at night. My puppy stays crated in the AC in the house while we work and mostly crated at night. We are very active and we go to the river alot in the spring/summer and hike. My adults also jog next to me during the cool parts of the morning or evening. We bike alot in the fall. In the winter I put on my Carharts and we walk through the woods alot. I used to try to keep them inside. After they lay at me or my girlfriends feet or both for an hour, they just sit at the door and stare at me.
They prefer to br outside. If they wanted to be inside thats where they would be.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Inside, neither like being outside if I'm not out with them.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
My guys are mainly indoor, but I voted for both because they love to be outside to run on the property. Around the hottest part of the day, I usually have to make them come in.

·
Registered
31,907 Posts
All are house trained. All can be kept inside or outside. Some spend more time inside, and some spend more time outside. The safest place for them is actually outside in their kennels. I generally have the inside ones baby gated into an area where they can get in and out through a doggy door. But sometimes I will give one the run of the house, it just depends. I don't like to keep dogs crated for any length of time, but I will sometimes crate a dog for a few hours while I run an errand.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I voted for inside because that is where they sleep and that is where they are when I work. When outside I'm with them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine stay inside 95% of the day, weather gets way too hot here and they hate being outside until the sun goes down. We go for walks in the early morning and evening. In the afternoon we play games of "house frisbee" or "tug o war" and work on training, also working obedience into games. At dusk when it cools off we play epic games of glow in the dark ball and hang out as a family... Man, such a rough life! I am an awful owner :p

·
Banned
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mine stay inside 95% of the day, weather gets way too hot here and they hate being outside until the sun goes down. We go for walks in the early morning and evening. In the afternoon we play games of "house frisbee" or "tug o war" and work on training, also working obedience into games. At dusk when it cools off we play epic games of glow in the dark ball and hang out as a family... Man, such a rough life! I am an awful owner :p
Yah. I am in California too, orange county, and I don't see why a dog should live outside. It is like you don't even have one, and it is cruel to the dog. It was 94 degrees today, and that was one of our cooler days this week!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Inside! There's no point in an outside dog. Dogs are family. When I am out they are out with me. They do not like to be out if I'm not there to. I can't even sneak to go in real quick as soon as I head for the door he comes running.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Sometimes inside - sometimes outside - sometimes both.

Keep in mind that the answer to this question will vary depending on what type of owner you are. Most pet people on this board will keep dogs inside and consider it cruel (or pointless as many have iterated) to keep a dog outside. But realize that most/all of your favorite breeders keep their dogs outside, in runs/kennels, limit house time, and do not consider indoor time an essential part of a dog's life or well-being. It is not realistic with the volume of dogs that many breeders have to keep all dogs inside.

A GSD can do as well inside as it can outside - the question you should be asking is: what kind of stimulation, interaction, training, socialization, etc can I provide my dog regardless of they live inside or outside. Living inside or outside does not automatically make a dog's life better or worse.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Inside, especially with the hot weather we've been having.

Joey gets most of his walks early morning and late evening; weather is more tolerable, and there are less distractions.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts