German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has proably being talked about befor. I have a 9 year old gsd who stays inside most of the time but usually sleeps outside during colder months. This has never being an issue until this year when he is practically refusing to go out. Outside temps usually 20-30 at night and when he sleeps inside our basement the temp stays 70-75 due to wood heat. I have tried to keep door cracked and also run fan. But I just simply do not believe 75 is a good temp for a 100lb gsd? Should I simply get tough and make him go out at night as he has done for the past 9 years? Or allow him to stay in? My fear is this high temp is bad for his health and once he is use to it putting him back out might cause problems?
Also I have noticed alot of matter in both his eyes for the past few months? Is this a inside issue? Possibly a an running causes this?

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I don't know why you would think that temperature is bad for a dog and that sleeping outside in below freezing temperatures is good. That is cruely and can be punished by law.

Our house stays 72-75 degrees everyday and our GSD is JUST FINE. If I put him outside in this 40 degree weather he would probably die.

Leaving him inside is the best idea, especially for an older dog that is probably affected joint-wise by the temperature. I'm sure he'll love getting to stay inside.

As for the eyes; sounds like it could be mange or a number of other issues. You need to get him to the vet for that and shouldn't have waited this long to do so.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Please don't comment on health problems until you have more experience with dogs. I am blown away by the advice that people offer on this forum these days: it's truly scary.

Mange has nothing to do with stuff collecting in a dog's eyes. That is most likely allergies or an eye infection. If this is something new for your dog I'd take him into the vet and see what's going on. If these is an actual film growing over your dog's eyes then you are dealing with either pannus or cataracts. The vet will hopefully be able to let you know what the problem is though. While you're there you can also have the vet do a senior check up and that might give you insight on why your dog doesn't want to go out much anymore. He may have arthritis. A change in food and some good supplements can really help with that.

I would absolutely not force him to sleep outside. I would never force my dog to sleep outside but when he is choosing to sleep inside it's for good reason. Does he have a comfortable bed to sleep on? That's important for a senior dog. Can you turn the heat down or open a window? That really is very hot, especially if your dog has a winter coat.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Mange has nothing to do with stuff collecting in a dog's eyes. That is most likely allergies or an eye infection. If this is something new for your dog I'd take him into the vet and see what's going on. If these is an actual film growing over your dog's eyes then you are dealing with either pannus or cataracts.
Yep, couldn't have said it better!

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Please don't comment on health problems until you have more experience with dogs. I am blown away by the advice that people offer on this forum these days: it's truly scary.

Mange has nothing to do with stuff collecting in a dog's eyes.
Are you kidding me? This is getting old.

I have a LOT of experience with dogs and mange DOES have to do with stuff collecting in the eyes. Have you ever seen a dog with more progressive mange than most people here deal with? Their eyes get goopy and NASTY as a result of the basteria building up. It looks like boogers all over their eyes.

You're surprised with people advising to seek medical attention? That's strange.

Either way, I DID advise seeking vet attention, so it doesn't matter if it's mange or not, it was just a thought and I added there are numerous OTHER issues that could cause it too.

Thank you.

eta; and luckily, this is a public forum where I am allowed to offer my opinion and advice as I see fit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All of my dogs sleep outside. The only reason my GSD sleeps inside is due to high temps in the summer and really this has only started in the last 2 years. He along with every other dog around here seems to thrive in the cold months and he has been known to lay out in the snow and sleep ( his choice as he is free to roam or sleep on his bed.) Most gsd around here including the breeder I got my dog from recomends making a=gsd or any thick coated dogs outside dogs. As well as most vets in this aera recomend outside.
The only reason I let him sleep in now is because he never was taught to sleep in a dog house and has always slept outside on his bed. And until I begin putting in during the hot summer nights he never once tried to get in and sleep. I believe alot of this is due to him simply getting use to staying in and knowing he can manipulate me into letting him inside. Iam letting him stay in again tonight and monitoring the temp and his reactions to it. He already takes true allergy shots and has itching problems.
What it all comes down to is the gsd with its thick under coat was bred to be a cold weather dog and every shep I have ever known have loved the cold weather and most are happier outside. My dog wants inside but while outside he sleeps much better and scratches much less. So i just really dont know about letting stay in the very hot heat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He also still goes wide open with no joint issues. The matter in his eyes is simply matter which I believe is another result of him sleeping inside and getting dust and other inside stuff in his eyes and up his noise.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
He's refusing to go sleep outside. That should tell you that he doesn't "thrive during the colder months," at least not any more. As dogs get older, they're more easily affected by cold temperatures. When my husband's dog Biz got older he put a heating pad on Biz's bed in the house and he loved it. The warmth feels good on their joints. Even if he runs and plays with no apparent issues, the warmer temps can help.

I think you should let him sleep outside.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I think you should let him sleep outside.
You mean inside? :confused:

Wolf, I've had my dogs live inside for all my life and I've NEVER had a dog get stuff in his eyes from dust, etc. in the house. If anything that would come from outside and that hasn't happened either.

You should get your dog to the vet to get it checked out.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If you cant afford a comfortable temp in your home, you dont need a dog.

Our home is around 70 all year long. Sometimes I treat myself and bump it to 72 so when I get out of the shower its nice an warm :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Why would it be such a huge issue to let the dog sleep inside anyway? I personally would rather have my pup inside incase someone is dumb enough to break it. Reduces my risk of killing someone. Not cool.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
He also still goes wide open with no joint issues. The matter in his eyes is simply matter which I believe is another result of him sleeping inside and getting dust and other inside stuff in his eyes and up his noise.
He may have joint issues, but just doesn't show it. Many of our GSDs are this way. Then one day, suddenly, they can't push past it anymore, and you're left thinking, "how did this happen overnight?" The answer is that it didn't. If you don't have your boy on joint supplements, I would do that ASAP.

The inside stuff in his eyes and up his nose? Well, not unless you live in a barn ;)

·
Super Moderator
32,587 Posts
Most gsd around here including the breeder I got my dog from recomends making a=gsd or any thick coated dogs outside dogs. As well as most vets in this aera recomend outside.
If that's so, I'd be ignoring what my breeder and vet recommend because that's bad advice. If your dog wants to spend most of his time outside then let him. But I wouldn't "make" a dog be an outside dog, no matter what kind of coat he has, especially at night in cold weather, and at 9 years old.

I believe alot of this is due to him simply getting use to staying in and knowing he can manipulate me into letting him inside.
That's possible. But even more likely is that he's getting OLD. The cold weather is affecting him more now, and especially at night when it's the coldest. If he wants to sleep inside then just let him sleep inside and stop worrying about whether he's manipulating you or not! Why shouldn't he get used to some warmth and comfort in his later years? Just because he liked cold weather and handled it fine when he was younger doesn't mean it's always going to be that way.

If you're worried about him being indoors in your 75 degree basement why can't you let him sleep somewhere else in the house? I can't imagine the entire house is that hot. And get his eyes checked by the vet. I can't believe he's been having problems for a couple of months and you haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I also agree letting the dog sleep inside is a no brainer- if he's showing a resistance to it there is obviously a reason. He may know better than you right now. Your dog may be allergic to dust so dusting frequently inside can really help to reduce eye **** and some allergy/antibiotic drops may be needed especially since it's been months. Go to a vet, start him on some joint supplements, and give the boy a bed to sleep on inside:)

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Let the dog and the rest of your dogs sleep inside. It's cold outside and it's comfortable inside. Lucy likes the climate control set around 72, but I think she would manage year round at 75 if she absolutely had to... sarcasm cough cough.

Would you want to sleep outside in 20 degree weather with a fur coat or inside on a nice soft pillow in a nice warm room? Use common sense here.

As for the eye issue, have a vet check it out before it gets worst no matter what it is. Eyes are not something i'd mess around with.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i have an inside dog. we keep the heat
on 65 to 68 degrees. when my GF isn't home
it's on 70 maybe 75 degrees. i like the house
really cool in the summer. when my GF isn't home
i keep it cooler; close to cold. we had several
90 degree days this summer. oneday my GF an
I were leaving the house. my said to me "make sure the house
stays cool for the dog". when i'm home i have to conserve
on the heat and the ac. when poochie boy is home it's heat up
and ac down. lol.

i don't think your dogs need to face the cold of winter
or the heat of the summer outdoors. how much time do
your dogs spend in the basement?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
My dog is an inside dog. When we put the heat on, it's set at 68. It's comfortable for my family and the dog and it keeps our heating bill down (we have oil heat).

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
All of my dogs sleep inside every night all year long. My inside temps are around 68, of course in the summer it's warmer unless the ac is on. I wouldn't leave them outside at night during the summer because the bugs are really bad. I like to leave them outside during the day when the weather permits. But when the outside temps drop down to about 45-50 degrees I feel its too cold for them to be laying on the ground outside. I feel it will only create problems with arthritis and such. My 8 year old plush coat, black dog in my avitar, always asks to go out into my unheated sunroom so I'll let him go hang out in there to cool off for a while.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts