German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

my puppy has two undescended testicles so will need to be neutered eventually-he is 5.5 months old now. The vet felt around for several minutes trying to locate them but could not, so she said she will have to cut him open to find them. He also has an umbilical hernia if that matters :rolleyes:

anyway...since she is going to have to go in there anyway...I've been thinking about asking her to do that preventative procedure for bloat-I believe it is called a Gastropexy where they tack the stomach to the side preventing the twisting. Anyone ever have that done? Opinions?

I do intend to switch him to BARF eating sometime over the summer, and from what I have read that does cut down in the chances of it happening. I already make sure to give him "quiet time" before and after meals and such.

What say you? :eek:

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Wait on the surgery for the neuter. One or both may still come down which makes the neuter much less invasive and less expensive.

Bloat is VERY genetic, so I'd really ask the breeder if bloat is common in their lines before doing the other surgery. All the good breeders will have the info going way back on both sides. It's why we pay more for a good puppy from a good breeder, so they can get back to us immediately with information like this with a genetic component.

Good luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Hi all,

my puppy has two undescended testicles so will need to be neutered eventually-he is 5.5 months old now. The vet felt around for several minutes trying to locate them but could not, so she said she will have to cut him open to find them. He also has an umbilical hernia if that matters :rolleyes:

anyway...since she is going to have to go in there anyway...I've been thinking about asking her to do that preventative procedure for bloat-I believe it is called a Gastropexy where they tack the stomach to the side preventing the twisting. Anyone ever have that done? Opinions?

I do intend to switch him to BARF eating sometime over the summer, and from what I have read that does cut down in the chances of it happening. I already make sure to give him "quiet time" before and after meals and such.

What say you? :eek:
If it were me I'd have the procedure done at the same time he's neutered UNLESS both testicles drop and invasive surgery isn't required. I've only had the procedure done once (Bruiser) because he had several bouts of partial bloat for lack of a better term. I know you didn't ask, but I like to get my guys neutered when they're about 18 to 24 months old.

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Even if the testicles do descend you can have the gastropexy done via scope.
I had my male done that way. One tiny incision on his belly and another on his side and that was it.
Working at an emergency veterinary facility I see lots of GDV cases in many different breeds of dogs from Dachshunds to Great Danes. The idea of it happening to one of my dogs scares the crap out of me. I also spend lots of time deep in the woods with my dogs. If they were to bloat during a hiking/camping trip it could be hours before I could get them to the clinic.
An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure, IMO.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I did not know that genetics had such an impact on bloat. I will ask the breeder, though I do believe he's never had a dog with it, nor had to replace any pups due to it, but I will make sure. Always like to get opinions on when to neuter :) Not sure when it will happen...it might well depend on my work schedule, though it will surely not be until the fall at the earliest. Would like to have him be 1 year old at least, if not older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts