German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no red flags in the pedigrees?

I know some frown on crossing working lines with show lines, but it can done be well right? From what I see, this breeding is 1/4 German show from Sire's side (Wenzel). Dam is 100% working line.

Seems like a well thought out, balanced breeding but I'm not experienced in reading pedigrees.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Wenzel produced quite well with both show and working bitches. Crosses can work when the right dogs are used. I don't know Yasso, but saw his dam when she was first imported. She was a very nice female. I believe Yasso's brother is/was a police K9.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I think this is a very good breeding. You can cross SL with WL but it’s generation 2,3 that become important. This pedigree would be 3/4 WL and 1/4 SL. That’s the right direction toward restoring good genetic balance. I think you would get some very nice pups out of this breeding. Good, sound, goodlookin* German Shepherds. The line people ( sport/show) might not like them, but the founder probably would.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I think this is a very good breeding. You can cross SL with WL but it’s generation 2,3 that become important. This pedigree would be 3/4 WL and 1/4 SL. That’s the right direction toward restoring good genetic balance. I think you would get some very nice pups out of this breeding. Good, sound, goodlookin* German Shepherds. The line people ( sport/show) might not like them, but the founder probably would.

@cliffson1 - Interesting observation regarding the sport/show folks. Did you say that because each "camp" only likes their own undiluted lines?

·
Registered
5,452 Posts

@cliffson1 - Interesting observation regarding the sport/show folks. Did you say that because each "camp" only likes their own undiluted lines?
I say that because each camp would be moving away from their goal in breeding. The show people in America will lose gait if they infuse working lines, the GSL will lose color and gait if they infuse WL, the sport people will lose drive and hardness, ( also structure), if they infuse show lines, in all these cases the things that are diminished by the introduction of the other lines hurts the purpose of the breeding....show and sport.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I say that because each camp would be moving away from their goal in breeding. The show people in America will lose gait if they infuse working lines, the GSL will lose color and gait if they infuse WL, the sport people will lose drive and hardness, ( also structure), if they infuse show lines, in all these cases the things that are diminished by the introduction of the other lines hurts the purpose of the breeding....show and sport.
Great and thorough explanation!

Seems like there are many breeds (border collies, Tervs etc.) who have a work/show separation. But in GSDs, the separation is way more inclusive. Not just drives, but structure as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts