German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year the Nutura Company was sold to Proctor and Gamble. Nutura used to be sold only to feedstores and small mom and pops type of business. This year they are marketing the sale of Innova to Petsmart and various other large retailer types.

What I have been noticing is, my dog's (both of them) coats don't seem to be quite as nice. Granted they need a good furinating. But, they do get brushed pretty frequently.

My suspicion is although I haven't noticed any of the ingredients changing in the order of the bag from older bag to currently purchased...I'm wondering if they are starting to use lower grade ingredients to make their profit margin selling to larger retail outlets. Or having to mass produce the product.

Evo is still sold at feedstores and the like. Cal Nat. Innova, Nat Balance are now mass produced.

Anyone else notice any subtle change if they are feeding Innova?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I stopped feeding as soon as I heard about the buyout, but I'm not surprised at all to read anything you're experiencing and writing about. Seems about on par with P&G standards.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Although, I don't use Innova products....I do still use EVO with a couple of my dogs.
I have not noticed any changes.....they still are going fine on it.
*BTW...we use Earthborn Holistic Primitive with most of the dogs & puppies....we really like the food.*

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I fed it a couple months ago & did not notice any changes other than my boy's poop is way better on Acana (we also started feeding Bravo raw).

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah the poop factor is a huge one. :)
I liked EVO but as my dog doesn't have a job...I try to keep her protein down a bit. EVO has been a lifesaver for the cats.

Her poop is still ok, it's just her and Zoey's coats seem drier, a little more coarse.
I'm leaning towards Taste of The Wild, as Arcana is a bit harder for me to aquire without driving ten or twenty miles in "stoopid" traffic.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Why not try some fish or salmon oil? Do you supplement in saw raw eggs with kibble at all? The extra omega 3's may help with a dry coat instead of just switching the food.

A change from a P&G product to a diamond product really isn't much of an upgrade.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Last year the Nutura Company was sold to Proctor and Gamble. Nutura used to be sold only to feedstores and small mom and pops type of business. This year they are marketing the sale of Innova to Petsmart and various other large retailer types.

What I have been noticing is, my dog's (both of them) coats don't seem to be quite as nice. Granted they need a good furinating. But, they do get brushed pretty frequently.

My suspicion is although I haven't noticed any of the ingredients changing in the order of the bag from older bag to currently purchased...I'm wondering if they are starting to use lower grade ingredients to make their profit margin selling to larger retail outlets. Or having to mass produce the product.

Evo is still sold at feedstores and the like. Cal Nat. Innova, Nat Balance are now mass produced.

A timely post ... I just switched the Hooligans from INNOVA last week because they didn't seem to be doing as well as they once did ... they're thin and their coats aren't nice looking.

·
Registered
189 Posts

I don't feed innova but frequent a pet store who monitors ingredient changes in foods and then notifies customers in a shelf talker below the food. The put out a shelf talker informing of the buyout by P and G and said they would be on alert for any changes. So far i haven't noticed any

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just switched my girls to Innova from Wellness a few weeks ago (large breed puppy and large breed adult). I gradually transitioned them over and both of their stools are pretty loose. I noticed my younger one's coat seems a little coarse but the older one's coat is still soft and shiny. They both get two squirts of grizzly salmon oil with each meal. I'll see how they do on it the next couple of weeks. If their stools are still loose I will transition them back over to Wellness.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where I work we sell it so I see the updates, that's how I knew about the Mass Production for Major Retailers...that was about four months ago or so. My boss has a pre-buy out ingredient list.
I had a wait and see attitude so far.
I'm trying not to get paranoid about it and I'll check one of his dogs (they all either eat a mix of Innova/pure Innova/ or mix with Primal Raw.
I'm planning on checking one of his dogs that is on straight Innova.

I don't have to worry about the weight loss as Alice is on Pheno and that makes her hungry. We worry about balancing the weight gain vs. amount of food combined with exercise.
We supplement with yogurt and frozen green beans.
I may try the fish oil or egg. (the thought of dog egg farts scares me:eek: that's why I haven't yet done so)

I've just noticed subtle changes in my dog's coats.
For some reason I didn't realize that Diamond made Taste of The Wild.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
robinhuerta...Thanks, I did check out Earthborn Holistic Primitive I can get that in Mountainview CA. Not too far from my job. That looks like a great food.

Arcana I can get (according to website) in Los Gatos CA. So I may go to Arcana as I'm more familiar with Los Gatos (or how to avoid idiots that merge on to freeways at 45 mph and don't use signal indicators).
I know, stupid reason for picking dog food. (How easy is it to get to):rolleyes:
There are other factors involved too.

I only have a fifteen cubic foot refer so doing raw is really a hardship on freezer space as I don't have the extra money to buy a chest freezer at this point.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm in the same food bowl as you . . . I was on CA Natural with my Aussie who could only tolerate lamb forever. When it "changed" I switched to Taste of the Wild because I could get it locally or in town an hour from our CA foothill home (between Fresno and Kings Canyon Nat. Park). The protein was awfully high on TOW but their lamb mixture was better so I was using that. However, my other Aussie began to lick his paw about that time. Now that the elderly boy has passed, I switched to Blue Buffalo senior chicken for my other Aussie and the paw licking has stopped and the boy has lost a couple pounds to boot. Since it's a hour to town, I finally went with Peflow and just have the stuff delivered (free shipping and no tax). My big issue is the protein and ease of purchase more than anything.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I definitely watch the protein levels as The Fruitbat Extraodinaire has had less frequent seizures since I have lowered it. Coincidental? Maybe...but I'm running with that and the D/A links to it for non-working dogs.

I was at work today and checked out one of my bosses' dogs that is on straight Innova and her coat is beautiful. (Not to mention she enjoyed the massage) I may just stay with Innova for now and add fish caps or oil.

Arcana is probably going to be my next choice I believe that the protein levels are around 24% as opposed to EVO at 44%.

ETA: If I had the scenery of an hour to town like you do I may do it...*grin* It would be an hour round trip depending on the time of day to get to Mountainview from my house. That's just teeth grinding traffic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts