German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have taken a vacation from this board for a couple of years. Inga is now a mature four year old and we have recently moved to Oregon. We live out in the country but when Inga and I come to town there seems to be trouble with aggressive homeless men. The first time it happened I had gotten my truck's oil changed at walmart. It was parked behind the walmart and Inga was in her traveling cage in the back. I saw a homeless man who moved in a sped up jerky fashion and waving his arms approach and asked for money. I declined and he really went off, screaming threats and filthy obscenities as he advanced on me aggressively. Inga did not like this at all. I turned and went to open Inga's cage and he ran away.

The second time I was staying the night at a motel. Inga needed to go out at four in the morning so I took her out to the little closed in lawn area the motel had for dogs. I circled on the grass with Inga on leash. The area was all closed in by high fences and buildings and I felt like it was like a trap, and when Inga came near the corner she growled. Whats the matter with you? I thought and circled her again. This time we went around that corner and there was a man standing there in the shadows watching. Inga instantly lunged with a roar, every hair on her body standing on end. I have never seen anything like it. Of course the man retreated.

On the cross coutry trip to Oregon I had driven across all the way across Utah and got a motel room in Lakeveiw, Oregon at 9pm. I was tending to my cow and livestockstock, parked on the street in front of my room. I filled the water bucket in the bathtub, carried it out, fed hay, chained and locked the trailer doors. I was taking my stuff into the room, came back out and noticed a scruffy man dressed in black clothes and a hoodie watching me from the laudrymat across the street. I noticed he was not washing any clothes. I was getting Inga's food and bowl when he came out and asked if I needed any help. I said No thanks, I'm fine. And he just went off, yelling obscenities and threats that I was a piece of __ and he would kick my _. I released Inga from her cage and started ordering her around like a drill sargent. Heel! Halt! Sit! Down! Stand! Inga was off leash and I wanted to keep her attention on me, not on him. He stalked off up the dark street, insulting her as well as me. I went to the office and told the lady what happened, that I was afraid he would come back and mess with my truck and animals and to please call the police. I went to my room, shaking and upset. I went back to the office and asked what did the cops say? She said she did not call them. I said I am from Texas. In Texas we do not have homeless people yelling and threatening women. I am not used to this, so i will call the police and I did. I waited by the truck with Inga. A nice policeman came and I told him what happened. I said I am a country girl and we are not used to being threatened by strangers. He said It's drugs. He said there are about 4 guys in this town that grew up on drugs and it fried their brains. I said yes that was my impression also. I said this dog knows 30 commands. I said I got her out and marched her around and the guy retreated, cursing her. He said that is a very good dog. He said he would drive around and look for the guy and have a talk with him. He said he would drive by and check my rig during his night rounds. Jezz, welcome to Oregon. I seem to attract aggressive bums here like a magnet.
Its OK though, because of Inga. There is one important command that has never used except when it is seriously bad. I did not have to train her to do this, it is innate. When something is a really serious threat. I bring up and project my full emotion, hold Inga back by the collar, say What is it! and let her go. So far she has removed a bear from the yard and another time a sounder of wild hogs. The sound of those hogs screaming and snarling out in the dark with Inga barking I did fear for her life. But she did call off from them and return probably thanks to her e collar.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess the homeless go west until they can't go any further so they pile up on the west coast.

Oh I forgot the picture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts