German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I few years back I asked my vet about using injectable Ivemectin for cattle for my dogs HW prevention (given orally). He said to use a .1 cc/10# body weight per 6 months. I use a small syringe to draw the dose then another syringe (w/o needle) to squirt it in the dogs mouths. I have never had any problems and definitely saved money on the 4 dogs at the time. My new GS pup is arriving soon. When he is ready to start on HW prevention is the ivemectin approach still the way to go? I have read that many folks give it monthly. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Re: Injectable Ivemectin (cattle) for HW preventio

There are some people who do still use Ivermectin, but I think the majority of folks now use one of the monthly tablets that are available. I use Interceptor for all my dogs except for one, who was treated for heartworms and whose cardiologist preferred he stay on Heartgard.

Having said this however, Eli, has demodex and is currently being treated with ivermectin. He gets 15,000mcg a day (Heartgard 50 - 100lbs contains 272mcg/tablet) so doesn't need heartworm prevention at the moment.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Re: Injectable Ivemectin (cattle) for HW preventio

Originally Posted By: SpiritsmamThere are some people who do still use Ivermectin, but I think the majority of folks now use one of the monthly tablets that are available.

Ivermectin is the active ingredient in the most of the monthly tablets. It really doesn't matter if it is administered in a pre-packaged, liver flavored tablet, or straight from the bottle, it's all the same thing.

We use the liquid ivermectin 1% solution, packaged for cattle, administered at the dosage of .1cc per 20lbs, and have for years. With multiple dogs it's much more cost effective. We treat only during times of the year where weather is conducive to mosquitos carrying heartworm (which here in MI is only about 4 months out of the year).

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You mention the dose that your vet recommended the liquid ivermectin dose "per six months". Are you saying that you give your dogs the liquid ivermectin dose only once per each six month time period?

I use the liquid ivermectin and add pyrantel pamoate (orally) for monthly worming and heartworm prevention. This is the same formula as Heartguard Plus, however, it is a monthly dosing regimen and I give it every month. It does save a lot of money and my veterinarian readily recommends the formula to his clients with multiple dogs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WVGShep, do you dose @ .1cc/10# for the liquid? Also, do you get the pyrantel pamoate horse wormer(paste)?. How much of it do you use per dose? This sounds like a better combo.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Yes, I use the .1 cc per 10 pounds of body weight for my dogs for the ivermectin dose. I purchase the pyrantel pamoate through the same veterinary catalog that I get my ivermectin from, however, it is in a liquid form and has a butterscotch/caramel taste to it. It is Pyrantel-50 and is the same medicine as in Nemex-2, but at a 25 times more concentrated dose and at a hugely reduced cost. The dose is one ccc/ml per 20 pounds of weight and this covers the bitterness of the liquid ivermectin. Works like a charm. The Pyrantel-50 by itself is what I give my puppies too instead of Nemex-2. I just weigh the puppies and give the dose based upon their weight.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've been using it for almost 20 years for HW prevention and wormer, and never have had any problems. Can start on pups as early as 6 weeks, per my Vet. Give it orally, and living in the South use it every month, year round.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts