German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've read through a few pages of this board but I'm so new and unknowledgeable (if that is a word) in terms of doggy health that I need some more direct guidance.

Our girl Eva is coming up on five months now. We took her to the vet for a basic exam but that was just a quick physical. The vet listened to her heart, checked her eyes, felt around for any lumps and what not. But what else should we have done? Is there specific bloodwork we should have done, x-rays perhaps, etc? What are common health issues that I should be keeping in mind? I've read about hip dysplasia but I think that's the only thing I've been familiarized with at all.

If you guys can help, speak very slowly to me (lol) or perhaps link me to some good info it would be overwhelmingly appreciated! I want to take a very preventative and proactive role in Eva's health to ensure she lives the longest, healthiest life possible.

For now I'm off to the RAW diet forum to read a million posts to learn about that. :D

·
Super Moderator
32,309 Posts
If you're not having any specific problems with her I wouldn't worry too much about further tests at this point, other than the fecal that Rerun suggested. Vets usually only run blood work if there's a reason.

At 5 months old you COULD have preliminary hip and elbow x-rays done, but she's young enough that it wouldn't be as useful as waiting until she's a bit older. Many vets will do the x-rays under sedation to make it easier to get proper positioning, and if you're going to have her spayed sometime in the next year, having the x-rays done while she's under for surgery is a good option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts