German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background: 16 Weeks old female GSD. Fully vaccinated.

Hello everybody! My pup has had what seems to be a 2nd allergic reaction. She's been scratching a lot over the past week or week and a half and she's developed what I think are hives on her underbelly. They look like whiteheads basically. Also, she's had a little bit of a runny nose, where every now and then we can see a visible water droplet on her nose. She's also had some peeling of her nose skin. Not bad, but there's some whiteness where it almost looks like some lessions.

Like I said, this is likely her 2nd outbreak. The first one we treated with Benadryl which the Vet recommended and she had a positive reaction and seemingly cleared up. This one seems more severe. However, there is otherwise no change to my pup. She appears 100 % normal. She has had no changes in diet that correspond with these outbreaks. My belief makes it seem it's more environmental than dietary.

My main question is what should I be doing? Is it too early to start jumping into getting tests done? Or should I wait it out a bit. I know puppies have weaker immune systems. And as I have been very heavy into socialization and exposure, my pup has been in a variety of situations over the past few weeks where she could've essentially been exposed to anything. Or is this something I should be more proactive with. Should I contact the breeder and ask if she has any input on what some of her littermates or her parents previous litters may have had issues with?

My friend who's a vet tech recommended I wash her with a hypoallergenic shampoo which is on the way from Amazon right now.

Appreciate any insight. This is my 5th GSD but this will be the first time I've dealt with any type of allergy issue. This big fear beingthe nose peeling is something more severe like Lupus. But I'm trying not to overeact and my idea is to wait it out to see if it clears up before I go back to the vet.

Below is the best picture I could get of her nose. Getting her to sit still was tough.

Attachments

·
Registered
32,356 Posts
Contact the breeder and see if there are allergies in the lines. The "whiteheads" could just be puppy pyoderma. No big deal. But the itching and runny nose would indicate something. Food allergies are actually rare. It's most likely environmental.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
If the marks on the nose are not scratches, then it may be autoimmune related. Your vet should be able to determine if this is the case.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
I agree with Jax. I noticed a food allergy in my dog when the insides of his ears turned bright red. I took him off chicken and that cleared up.
We discovered Shadow was allergic to beef almost the same way. She would shake her head continuously and get these little red hive looking things in her ears. Switched her to chicken and no more red, itchy ears.

·
Registered
74 Posts
In your position I would first get in touch with the breeder.
A good breeder will have a lot of experience in dealing with various illnesses/exposures and recommend that which has worked for them through trial and error. They will also have knowledge of any specific genetic predispositions in your puppy.

As others have mentioned environmental allergies>food allergies, with food allergies most typically to chicken (listed as first ingredient).
My pup also had a bout of hive-like rashes on her underbelly that she was constantly itching.

To provide symptomatic relief the steps I took were:
  • Transition to a Grain-Free formula (Fromm Heartland Gold)
  • Limit time spent in grass & always clean paws after returning from outside
  • Purchased a prescription shampoo which does not dry out the coat upon frequent usage (as often as 3X/week): VETiNOX Defendex
  • Purchased an instant relief Chlorhexidine 4% shampoo for limited usage.
  • Put on a Seresto flea & tick collar

My plan was to tackle all the common allergies while also taking the appropriate preventative measures for any dog exposed to the outdoors.

I feed raw chicken feet and wings and so I'm not convinced of a food allergy but am not inclined to disturb the GI of a growing puppy with multiple changes.
With that said, it seems the Defendex shampoo is doing the trick.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Background: 16 Weeks old female GSD. Fully vaccinated.

The second sentence could be key.

If your dog had a few vaccination "cocktails" (vaccs containing more than one pathogen such as DHPP) and other vacc's at the same time, it could have sent "this" dog's immune system into a frenzy.

Giving a dog a Lepto or a Rabies at the same time as other vaccinations can also create a world of problems.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/vaccinations-skin-disease/

Flea & Tick meds can also cause reactions.

Food SENSITIVITIES/INTOLERANCE (true allergies are rare):
*There are several items contained in dog food AND treats that dogs could be sensitive to: Chicken Items (Meat, Meal, Fat, Eggs, Cartilage) Grains of all kinds (including oatmeal and oatmeal shampoo), even some of the "Non-Gluten" grains, Lentils/Pea items, Potatoes, Flax seed or oil, certain Fish and Yeast supplements.

Environmental sensitivities are also a possibility.

Moms :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts