German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long post in advance. I inherited my stepdads dog. She is 8 years old. Her mother was pregnant and a rescue from an abusive breeder and had been over bred. My stepdad died of brain Cancer in April and I had moved back in the October before to actually care for her and their other dog(13, rescue from another the same breeder). Prior to me being here the dogs were outside dogs but separately due to a bad fight years ago over my brother. Over the time I was caring for my stepdad and the dogs. I grew close to Amber, who was HIS dog the other one was my brothers. We built a relationship and our bond grew. She was mouthy(biting) and stubborn(still is), would dog, burrow, and amongst many other attention seeking behaviors. I have never had to train a dog alone, without my dad. And it’s obvious to me over the last few years he had the cancer he wasn’t up to par training her the way he would have. Since he’s past I’m still here. We had a granny flat built out back for my daughter and I to live in. My mom moved the older dog into the big house for protection and I have now officially adopted Amber. Since April, she has stopped most behaviors however is very willful. I’m looking for some additional tips for a very willful girl. Who I feel is smart and loyal enough to protect my daughter and I. Also to have enough stimulation mentally for her.

I AM NOT A PRO, I DO HAVE BASIC TRAINING KNOWLEDGE. TIA

·
Super Moderator
3,602 Posts
Willful simply means that other things are more rewarding than you. Take time hot dogs or a tug or whatever and train. Go out and show the dog that you are the most rewarding thing. Interaction with you is what gets the dog what it wants.

To get a good idea of where to start, I suggest watching some Michael Ellis, Robert Cabral, Larry Krohn videos, and reading Excel-Erated Learning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. She is such a sweet girl. I want her to enjoy being with me and have my dad proud of how great she has become she has come miles already but I know has the capability for so much more

Willful simply means that other things are more rewarding than you. Take time hot dogs or a tug or whatever and train. Go out and show the dog that you are the most rewarding thing. Interaction with you is what gets the dog what it wants.

To get a good idea of where to start, I suggest watching some Michael Ellis, Robert Cabral, Larry Krohn videos, and reading Excel-Erated Learning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts