German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone give me some information about tattoos? How to research and find out where a dog came from? Is it possible?

I recently rescued a 1 year old male that has a ear tattoo and I'd like to find out who the breeder was. The "owner" surrendered him to a kill shelter be euthanizied because he had hip dysplasia but I've had him x-rayed and he does NOT have it and actually has good hips! Evidently he had been either kenneled or crated ALOT because his muscle's had atrophied but in the month I've had him, he's all ready built up a lot of strong muscle in his rear and is progressing wonderfully.

I suspect they just couldn't handle him and wanted to get rid of him. He does seem to have a lot of drive.

He has a tattoo in his ear and between me and the vet, we had a hard time making it out but here is what we came up with. The first letter was not easily read. Any help appreciated.

Joyce

You can see him here on our website:
http://www.austindog.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=331&Itemid=1

AJTALF1
MJTALF1
WJTALF1
AWTALF1

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
OH MY GOSH

What a beautiful job you did on this video-

He is sure a beautiful boy, huh-
If anything every happens and the ark ever needs an additional pup, I'll think to call you for sure- he is a<span style='font-family: Book Antiqua'> beautiful </span>boy!

Thank you for fostering him!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If you shave the ear and rub it with alcohol you should be able to read it better. This might be a USCA tattoo, you could check with their office to see if it is and you might be able to find out what "kennel" the dog is from.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help! I think I was able to get a little better reading on it and called tattoo a pet and they told me from the color of ink and number he is an import from Germany/Europe and most likely from Schutzhund lines. (not surprised.)

I'm guessing I'll not find out where he came from (so far can't find that it was ever registered) but at least got a little more information.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
The tattoo is in Green ink - tattooers in this country use it too. What tattoo number did you end up with? I would think he was from an US Showline breeder.

If the breeder has dogs registered with USCA or WDA they use a specific format that indentifies the Region, tattooer, year born, kennel designation, litter letter and number the pup was tattooed.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
You can contact USCA and ask them
A would be North East Region
3 would be the Tattooer
7 would indicate he was born in 07 making him a year old which fits
AL would be the breeders "code" this you might be able to get even if the dog isn't registered
F would indicate the F litter
1 would be the first puppy tattooed which is usually a male which fits as well!
You also could contact Molly Graf [email protected] - she is a Regional Breed Warden and she may know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts