German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really health issues, more of a heads up just from my experience with Summer and her "Persistent Aortic Arch". In Hindsight, I should have known something was wrong with my baby "Summer" before the cough came up. So here are a few things I noticed.

1) Energetic, but not for for very long at all. Slept more than she was awake, I just thought she was laid back.
2) Cried every time she was picked up, regardless of how it was done.
3)Cried when she moved the wrong way, dismissed as being a little princess prissy pants.
4) Tummy filling with a LOT of gas after eating, to the point where I would compress her sides slightly and make her burp (like a baby)
5) Not many bowel movements.

The issue for me was that Summer did not exhibit any of the usual symptoms associated with the condition.

"Signs of this condition usually become apparent shortly after weaning, when a puppy begins eating semi-solid or solid food. The partial obstruction of the esophagus causes regurgitation, which is a passive reflux of undigested food, often in a tubular shape, back out the mouth. Dogs with this condition are often excessively thin or even emaciated, and yet often have ravenous appetites. They are prone to aspiration pneumonia, meaning that they may choke on regurgitated food and become ill as a result of inhaled mucus, food, and water.
Vascular ring anomalies like persistent right aortic arches can be corrected surgically. It is important to do so promptly, to reduce the likelihood of permanent damage to the esophagus. Vascular ring anomalies are never outgrown: they cannot self-correct spontaneously."

The vet's didn't even know this was the problem with Summer. She was aneathatised for xray purposes, and never awoke. She was a very sick puppy, that exhibited no signs externally to point to this apart from what I listed above, which would be quite easy to ignore. Here is a link to a website with more information about this problem.

Persistent right aortic arch ( vascular ring anomaly ) | Canine Inherited Disorders Database | University of Prince Edward Island

So yeah, not trying to scare any one, just wanted people to know exactly what happened with my baby girl, and to be aware of it. :)

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Thank you for sharing. We are all here to learn. I have never heard a dog cough like you described in your other thread. I will always remember your Summer in regards to that.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Thank you for sharing. We are all here to learn. I have never heard a dog cough like you described in your other thread. I will always remember your Summer in regards to that.
As Courtney said this forum is for sharing and learning, thank you for the information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts