German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined your site in hopes of finding out some information. After careful research I decided that the German Shepherd best matched our requirements for our family. I would like to find out some more information on DM. I was told by a breeder that DM is ranked as one of the top health issues in the breed and to make sure that the parents are tested for this devastating disease yet I cannot find any other breeders who test for DM. Is there a reason why? Or are the breeders just not listing their test results? Thanks.

Kari Lynn

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
When I was looking for my current GSD I also was interested in breeders that tested for DM. I only found one that mentioned they tested for it (Kerschberger).

I lost my last GSD to DM. It was devastating to me to lose my best friend that way.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
There is a DNA test for DM available from OFA. There is some disagreement about whether this test scores the disease that is common in GSD or a different autoimmune disease. Because DM is common in many breeds, even the testing site advises against removing DM carriers from the breeding pool. If all DM carriers were removed, then the gene pool of the breed would be extremely restricted. Carriers do not suffer from DM but if two carriers breed, half their off-spring are also carriers and one quarter of the off-spring are diseased. Breeders could be in a very awkward position if they found that otherwise healthy and stable dogs were DM carriers. DM carriers certainly could not be mated to each other and some buyers might not like the idea that there pup could be a DM carrier.

I tested my dog, a neutered rescue, he is a carrier so he is not expected to develop DM. If you are concerned about a particular litter, perhaps you could test your potential pup. The test is about $65, I think, and just requires scraping cells from inside the cheek-not blood.

MJ

·
Registered
510 Posts
I recently lost my 14-year old female GSD to DM, but she didn't exhibit symptoms for more than aobut 6 months, but the last week before we arranged to let her go, she went downhill quickly. I do wish more breeders tested.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I joined your site in hopes of finding out some information. After careful research I decided that the German Shepherd best matched our requirements for our family. I would like to find out some more information on DM. I was told by a breeder that DM is ranked as one of the top health issues in the breed and to make sure that the parents are tested for this devastating disease yet I cannot find any other breeders who test for DM. Is there a reason why? Or are the breeders just not listing their test results? Thanks.

Kari Lynn
Here are a few links to websites with pretty good information about DM in the GSD:
Degenerative Myelopathy of German Shepherds
Degenerative Myelopathy - Is It Stalking Your Dog?
Degenerative Myelopathy Support Group - Jack Flash's Homepage

1 - 5 of 5 Posts