German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Just a quick note to the OP EgansMom, maybe 1 in 100 owners are ready for a truly moderate/high drive GSD (emphasis on high drive). I'm not sure most even know what that looks like. Even a low ot moderate drive dog is more than enough for the average dog owner's "hiking and swimming"

Fraserglen won't let you choose poorly for what you're after

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
While I am completely over the moon with Valor, I wouldn't wish him on most civilian homes, and that doesn't have anything to do with tiring him out. He will challenge you. He will resource guard. He will run the show if you don't understand little cues and react accordingly. It's not a big deal if you are used to a dog that will fight you if you don't do the right thing.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Sapphire helping her deal with Gus as he was growing up. He's a challenging dog. I have a particular desire for very strong, challenging dogs and I have experience in handling this type of dog.

I have snatched him up a few times and let him know who is boss. None of this is easy to explain (how, when, why) and if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't have a Gus pup. He is a fantastic, beautiful, confident animal and I'm humbled that he chooses to follow my lead. I don't believe for one second that I don't have to earn that respect daily. I have to live up to his opinion of me, but that is how I live with dogs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
While I am completely over the moon with Valor, I wouldn't wish him on most civilian homes, and that doesn't have anything to do with tiring him out. He will challenge you. He will resource guard. He will run the show if you don't understand little cues and react accordingly. It's not a big deal if you are used to a dog that will fight you if you don't do the right thing.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Sapphire helping her deal with Gus as he was growing up. He's a challenging dog. I have a particular desire for very strong, challenging dogs and I have experience in handling this type of dog.

I have snatched him up a few times and let him know who is boss. None of this is easy to explain (how, when, why) and if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't have a Gus pup. He is a fantastic, beautiful, confident animal and I'm humbled that he chooses to follow my lead. I don't believe for one second that I don't have to earn that respect daily. I have to live up to his opinion of me, but that is how I live with dogs.
We ended up with a Nog / Jazdea pup, Sheena thought it would be best, although I do love me a Gus bus, I want to do IPG and we are so extremely active, the pup will live a non stop life of movement and adventure, she thought Nog instantly.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts

Man, I hope my dogs never find out how clueless and what an idiot I am :p

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Man, I hope my dogs never find out how clueless and what an idiot I am :p
I don't think the typical regular here would be considered an average pet home.

Reactions: EgansMom

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's fantastic. I think anything from Carmspack/Fraserglen would be a solid choice. May I ask what pairing your pup will be from ?
I am drawn to Nog for some reason and apparently there is something upcoming with him and a new gal Jill.
Looks like the new gal Fraserglen have is: "Tarawoods Jill vom Oelmansdorf" bred by Jennifer Choate AKA Bobbi Choate.

Now this isn't a knock on Carmspack nor Fraserglen as Carmen's knowledge of German Shepherds is well known. There are many ways in which they came in possession of this dog including a third party. However, it sure looks, to me, that the breeder of this dog is the same one that was in a major animal neglect case (I could be wrong?) :

I was just curious if anyone knows any more information about this dog and how it came to be? She looks like a beautiful dog with a nice DDR/WG pedigree. What is interesting is that according to her pedigree she was whelped on 09/26/2017. And if you look at the timeline in above link, a fire happened on November 22, 2017. Is this a miracle girl?

This just sounds like a real interesting story. Just google Jennifer Choate German Shepherds and there are many news articles talking about this case and a few others.

Like I said this isn't meant to discredit Carmen or Sheena because a good dog is a good dog. But if anyone has any more information on Jill's temperament, other than what's on the website, that would be great along with any other information of how this dog came to be... sounds like she's lucky to be alive.

And to add some more controversy, some say that Jennifer Choate was Augusto Deoliveira's, owner of Griffin Shepherd Kennels, mentor ?

The next planned litter is Jill/Gus.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Just a quick note to the OP EgansMom, maybe 1 in 100 owners are ready for a truly moderate/high drive GSD (emphasis on high drive). I'm not sure most even know what that looks like. Even a low ot moderate drive dog is more than enough for the average dog owner's "hiking and swimming"

Fraserglen won't let you choose poorly for what you're after
Thank you for the sentiment but I just spend the last 11yrs with a dog that was the very worst combination.
High drive but poorly bred with weak nerves and very reactive.
He will challenge you. He will resource guard. He will run the show if you don't understand little cues and react accordingly. It's not a big deal if you are used to a dog that will fight you if you don't do the right thing
Yes all the above but with my boy it was fear reactivity and definitely some blood (mine) until I found what made him tick. Not for the faint of heart.
This will be my third GSD and they say the third time is a charm !
Although my first girl was pretty easy. Only challenged me once over having to take away a dangerous bone she had gotten. She snapped her head around to bite me - I clocked her. Problem solved. Never to be repeated. Do I advocate hitting a dog ? Never. Was that the right split second call in that case ? Absolutely. But she had solid nerves and could handle it.
Do the same with my boy and it would have escalated out of his fear.
Maybe the most important thing is reading the dog that's in front of you.
I totally agree with David on that.
ps. old thread. I have a deposit down with Wendelin Farms.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey y’all...
New to the forums... will be getting my first GSD from the nog/jadzea litter. I’m really excited as selections is days away... have been preparing for this for awhile... doing research and things around the house... if you guys want I do have photos of the pups when they were 4ish weeks old.. let me know if I should post?!
P.S if any of you have some tips and advice for a first time owner anything is appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey y’all...
New to the forums... will be getting my first GSD from the nog/jadzea litter. I’m really excited as selections is days away... have been preparing for this for awhile... doing research and things around the house... if you guys want I do have photos of the pups when they were 4ish weeks old.. let me know if I should post?!
P.S if any of you have some tips and advice for a first time owner anything is appreciated.
Are you looking to do anything sports like? Or more active family pet

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Hey y’all...
Pics are always appreciatedo_O

·
Super Moderator
3,903 Posts
Definitely more on the sport side.. but nothing to hectic like hunting... I’m thinking frisbee/ fetch would be awesome. Open to more ideas
I'm sure the reference is to dog sports, such as SCH, PSA, Ring, tracking, Nosework, agility, dock diving, flyball...

This is your first GSD? Have you had working line dogs before?

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I am completely over the moon with Valor, I wouldn't wish him on most civilian homes, and that doesn't have anything to do with tiring him out. He will challenge you. He will resource guard. He will run the show if you don't understand little cues and react accordingly. It's not a big deal if you are used to a dog that will fight you if you don't do the right thing....
Can I like this 1000 times over? Nicely put David.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like the new gal Fraserglen have is: "Tarawoods Jill vom Oelmansdorf" bred by Jennifer Choate AKA Bobbi Choate.

Now this isn't a knock on Carmspack nor Fraserglen as Carmen's knowledge of German Shepherds is well known. There are many ways in which they came in possession of this dog including a third party. However, it sure looks, to me, that the breeder of this dog is the same one that was in a major animal neglect case (I could be wrong?) :

I was just curious if anyone knows any more information about this dog and how it came to be? She looks like a beautiful dog with a nice DDR/WG pedigree. What is interesting is that according to her pedigree she was whelped on 09/26/2017. And if you look at the timeline in above link, a fire happened on November 22, 2017. Is this a miracle girl?

This just sounds like a real interesting story. Just google Jennifer Choate German Shepherds and there are many news articles talking about this case and a few others.

Like I said this isn't meant to discredit Carmen or Sheena because a good dog is a good dog. But if anyone has any more information on Jill's temperament, other than what's on the website, that would be great along with any other information of how this dog came to be... sounds like she's lucky to be alive.

And to add some more controversy, some say that Jennifer Choate was Augusto Deoliveira's, owner of Griffin Shepherd Kennels, mentor ?
Why not contact Sheena and ask her those questions?

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
What I know of Jill, she was purchased from a different breeder. There was discussion about the original breeder and the issues that have been made public but in the end, she’s a nice dog with a nice pedigree.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What I know of Jill, she was purchased from a different breeder. There was discussion about the original breeder and the issues that have been made public but in the end, she’s a nice dog with a nice pedigree.
Thank you.

From Fraserglen website:

"Jill has a strong DDR pedigree and is OFA good and DM clear. Her Great Grandfather was a NY State Police Dog and her Grandfather was HIC (Herding Instinct Certified), OFA Excellent and had a very impressive deep solid genetic bite when working in Schutzhund.

We are very excited to see what Jill will produce, her pedigree predicts loads of natural ability and all the desirable traits of DDR working lines. She is a sweet girl with loads of drive and personality."

She sounds like a great dog and I'm really interested to see how she produces too.

I'll give Sheena a call in the future to find out more about her.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Thank you.

From Fraserglen website:

"Jill has a strong DDR pedigree and is OFA good and DM clear. Her Great Grandfather was a NY State Police Dog and her Grandfather was HIC (Herding Instinct Certified), OFA Excellent and had a very impressive deep solid genetic bite when working in Schutzhund.

We are very excited to see what Jill will produce, her pedigree predicts loads of natural ability and all the desirable traits of DDR working lines. She is a sweet girl with loads of drive and personality."

She sounds like a great dog and I'm really interested to see how she produces too.

I'll give Sheena a call in the future to find out more about her.
I too am looking to see what Gus/Jill produce. I’m looking to get a Gus pup next year. I’m totally in love with the Ellie Mae/Gus litter and hoping this upcoming Jill litter will help me to decide.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts