German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6.5 yr old GSD was sick week before last with some type of stomach bug for which the vet put him on antibiotics and a kaopectate for dogs for his diarrhea. The morning we took him to the vet we noticed his bright red, inflammed ears. The vet took a look at them and didn't really have anything to say about them. I figured the fever was causing the redness. He was bitten by something a few days after his stomach bug was diagnosed and the vet looked at his ears again and didn't see anything wrong. It took 48hrs of benedryl to reduce the swollen face. Fast forward a week an a half later and he's done with his meds and seems to be doing fine except his ears are still really red and inflamed and now his belly is as well. His ears don't smell and aren't bothering him and his isn't scraching his belly or his ears. We were away from home in a cooler environment where he spent most of his time outside for the last few days and his redness reduced slightly in his ears but his belly is still really inflamed. There doesn't appear to be a rash and the redness (REALLY red) is only on his belly from his lower chest and under arms back to the area between his legs. The redness doesn't appear to extend beyond this area.

We recently switched foods from Wellness's Simple Venision diet to Before Grain's Buffalo forumula. He does have food allergies (not tested). We did add plain yogurt to his food after the antibiotic treatment. He had a bath about a week ago and he received his monthly Frontline Plus treatment. The red ears and belly aren't something we've seen in him ever before and I'm stumped! Has anyone else seen this or had this happen?

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
My Rudy gets this once in a while. His ears get inflamed, his belly gets bright red, and he gets huge swollen armpits (first time it happened I was convinced he had cancer from the lumps under his armpits).
For his ears, I keep some Otomax on hand. One application sooths/heals them up significantly. For his belly I use A & D Baby ointment. For his armpits I think I put a A&D on last time, with a little Gold Bond medicated powder.
Right now Rudy is having and ear and belly flare up and had an application last night. He is already sooo much better.

I went to the vet the first time this happened, just to make sure everything was OK. You may want to do the same.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mary - I actually have some Otomax on hand but I didn't want to use it since he didn't seem to actually have an infection in his ears. His ears are red all the way up to the tips and actually feel spongy from the inflammation. Everytime he's had an infection he scratches like crazy and he hasn't scratched at all with this. The vet saw his ears like this and didn't suggest using it.

I am going to give him another bath this afternoon and put some A&D on his pits and try the medicated powder over the rest of his belly. He'll be a grease ball if I put the ointment all over the red areas! It's just strange to me that none of this redness seems to be bothering him.

Thank you for your input. This latest problem may push us to have allergy tests done on him for environmental and food.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I would go back to Simple Venison and see what happens. My allergy dog has redness on tummy and red bumps. Recently, I let someone at a pet store talk me into switching from Nat. Bal. venison and sweet potato to their "allergy food." Within 2 days, his ear was raging RED. I put him back on Nat. Bal. venison. I think it was the brewers yeast and/or the fact it had turkey in it. Although I have not had him tested for food allergies, I now think he has allergies to any of the poultry family.

My vet did give me something to treat my dog's ear with. However, I didn't need to use it after two days. So far so good.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Hm, wonder if you can put a little A&D on his ears with a cotton ball.
Try a little on his belly, though. It really relieved the redness. I used the Gold Bond on his armpits, not on his belly.
See what works! I hope my Rudy isn't allergic to his food (Orijen) and is more environmental. He has been sneeezing a little, too.
Good luck!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I decided to give the vet a call to see what her suggestion was before I made any grand decisions. Her recommendation was to put him on benadryl for several days before I come in for an appointment. I'm not holding my breath because the red ears didn't go away during the 48hrs he was on it for the swollen face but I'll give it a go anyway. I have also heard that antihistamines and fish oil are a good combo for allergic reactions. Poor Jet is going to live a very drowsy life for the next few days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts