German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i am new here, i dont know whether i am posting in correct thread or not. today i found an huge infection in my dog leg, my mom used to take care of my GSD, today when i was plying with my dog i noticed it. I booked an appointment at 7 pm today (4 hours from now in my country) with VET but it scaring me what wound/infection that might be. I am attaching image below for your Reference. the wound and that opening is getting bigger and bigger every hour coz my dog constantly licking and scratching it. i tried sealing the wound I am so sad and scared. any help might be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Looks like the callous on his elbow got infected. Maybe got something in it? Vet will probably clean it and put him on antibiotics.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Agree with the other members....the hole in the middle is where the abscess under the skin has burst/ ruptured and drained out a sort of bloody/puss....gross and disgusting in appearance i guess----but the vet would have drained the abscess themselves---flushed it and sent you home with meds as Jax08 has already said...point is the hole is not a wound from something foreign and external....

I'll qualify this by simply saying....I'm NOT a vet but I have seen it before a few times and that's what your pics look like IMO

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Yup. Callous that was infected and abscessed. It can happen quite quickly so don't be angry with your mom. Buy an ecollar to keep him from licking. Vet will clean out and give you antibiotics.

I like this e-collar for my dogs.
https://allfourpaws.com/comfy-cone/
I love those. I have two of them in different sizes. My vet saw one of my dogs in one and wanted ordering information.

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
As a side note, when my dogs get those big, icky, cysts, I flush it with peroxide and then pack it with a product called Silver Shield. It's colloidal silver. When I talked to my vet about it, he told me that using colloidal silver is valid and they used to use it for mastitis in cows. Something handy to keep for either treatment at home (if you are comfortable with that) or to soothe things until you can get to the vet. I used it on Jax's elbow callouses all the time when they got infected.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
As a side note, when my dogs get those big, icky, cysts, I flush it with peroxide and then pack it with a product called Silver Shield. It's colloidal silver. When I talked to my vet about it, he told me that using colloidal silver is valid and they used to use it for mastitis in cows. Something handy to keep for either treatment at home (if you are comfortable with that) or to soothe things until you can get to the vet. I used it on Jax's elbow callouses all the time when they got infected.
Would it work for a little sore in the ear?

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Lyka got an abscess on her neck from a cat bite. The swelling start near her muzzle, and she had been eating bees, so I thought she had been stung and have her some allergies meds. By the morning, she has a huge bloody hole oozing pus and blood. I freaked. Took her straight to the vet, and they had to clean the wound, and put in 2 or 3 drains (can’t remember if it was 2 or 3) for a week, did some stitching up, and had her on a round of antibiotics to prevent any further infection. The drains grossed me out a little, not gonna lie, but she had no issues with them, and never tried pulling them out. Definitely do a vet visit, it needs to be cleaned, stitched, and possibly need drain to allow the pus and blood to drain while the antibiotics are kicking in.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
OMG! THANK you!
Worked so well on a sore Hans was developing in his ear. Within 24 hours, it was 75% better.

Reactions: Jax08

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
OMG! THANK you!
Worked so well on a sore Hans was developing in his ear. Within 24 hours, it was 75% better.

You are welcome!!! I had vet spray and antibiotics that didn't do anything for Jax's infected callouses. I put that on and saw the same results you just did. It works really, really, well for some applications.

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
You are welcome!!! I had vet spray and antibiotics that didn't do anything for Jax's infected callouses. I put that on and saw the same results you just did. It works really, really, well for some applications.
Do you use the liquid or the gel?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts