German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Poor WD. Was diagnosed with:
an infection on his butt, the vet showed me the abscess about to break through on the rim of is butt hole. He has yeast lesions around the anus and testicles, possibly from licking or "something else". He is currently at the vet under sedation to have the abscess treated, anal glands cleaned out.
On top of that: fleas, which we have never had to deal with in 10 years.
Nature's Variety).

I know this has to be cleared up and then I think I am going to put him on just raw. Any other homeopathics or other recommendations or ideas?

Thanks on behalf of sore WD.:confused:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Could be perianal fistula's? Infection in the anal glands?

Try using Vetericyn on the lesions/etc..kills bacteria/yeast. I would also consider using Desitin (diaper rash creme), works great on alot of open sores/lesions

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
If he does have perianal fistulas and has the accompnaying immune system / allergy issues you may want to consider NOT doing raw. Definitely check out the yahoo PF-L group

I think the raw diet is great but sometimes for an immune compromised dog..bacterial overgrowth etc.

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
Good grief.
Poor guy. That sounds horrifically painful. I hope it's not fistulas.

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet called: peri anal fistuals, yeast, fleas, scarred anal glands but not plugged.
Advice to have him neutered as testosterone MAY increase the fistulas. I don't want to neuter him just because "in case it helps."
It is such a mess right now, don't know what to feed him anymore. Good quality kibble but what is good quality or raw, or kibble for a while then go back to raw when he is doing well ?He said that it is a genetic problem in GSDs.
I can't believe WD has to go through this; he was the epiphany (sp?) of health.
In the first post something was deleted: the last bag was Instinct from Nature's Variety. *deep, deep sigh

·
Registered
16,649 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
also check out the PF list / site
perianal-fistulas

He's got ALOT going on all at once, tackle one thing at a time..Personally, I would do as your vet suggests at this point..Tho I can't say for sure neutering will help with 'anything'..

Many PF'ers feel changing to a totally different protein source helps, fish based is something to think about .

Did the vet say whether his anal glands are "functioning properly" or because of the scar tissue this may be an issue? Is there an anal gland "infection"?

This is treatable, but it's not an overnite fix. There are many different options out there depending on what the underlying cause is.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Poor baby, sending healing thoughts his way.

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
His anal glands have scar tissue but work well. My plan is to follow the Western Medical advice from my vet, who is excellent. Once we get on top of things I am going to look into alternative medicine for him.
Since yesterday het gets the following: antibiotics (Trimeth/Sulfa) for 14 days, Ketoconazole for 30 days and Otomax to put on his butt for yeast (super painful for him and scary to apply since he reacts so strongly I have to muzzle train him :(
He is in a lot of pain when pooping so he is super hesitant to go. My concern is that the stools will get harder as he waits. I have added fish oil, olive oil and kelp to his kibble.
He hasn't gone since yesterday afternoon which is really unusual for him.
The vet suggested a Hill's prescription diet with a lot of fiber but did say that is was OK to feed Chicken Soup for Adults I bought a few days ago (gut feeling for a change from Instinct).
Would it help him to add pumpkin puree or does this add to the problem?
This whole thing sucks so bad.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I would lose the olive oil and add either Kefir or a good refrigerated probiotic from the health food store. Pumpkin puree is fine.

Coconut oil is very soothing. I would try applying that. I'm sorry it is so painful for him. :(

·
Registered
9,776 Posts
You might want to PM Mrs K.

She is dealing with Indra having this.
I am so sorry your boy has this. It's awful.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I am very sorry you are dealing with all this. I have dealt with something similar in a young male so I understand the shock of it all.

Put the dog on a single protein fish based grain free diet. I use Earthborn Coastal Catch. Many people like Natural Balance as well.

After each bowel movement, wipe him with baby wipes and apply Vetericyn and apply a thin layer of Desitin. This will help a lot with local infection and external healing.

Shave and clip the hair around his perianal area.

Give him pumpkin with food to add bulk and help with forming/passing stools. Also good for anal glands.

Look into cyclosporine+ketoconazole treatment for the PF.

Coconut and salmon oil are good additives. Add yogurt with live cultures, and probiotics.

·
Registered
10,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: the breeder has not seen this in his lines. I believe him as he is trustworthy. Does this mean there is a posiblity it is is not genetic (I know it can be in the outside dogs he used). Would this make a difference in the prognosis?

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
qb has given you very very good advice that I wholeheartedly agree with and would follow, having been there done that, twice ..Both dogs had PF's resulting in anal gland issues, so in my opinion were not 'true PF' disease. One I had the glands removed, issue resolved, the other I opted to treat with Cyclo, but was ready to remove those glands if it came to that, the cyclo treatment worked.

The majority of dogs who get 'true" PF disease also have underlying issues,,EPI, SIBO, allergies, etc.

I also would get rid of the "oils"..use the pure canned pumpkin heaping T in each meal.

This CAN be painful, sitz baths can also help..it's not an easy thing to deal with, and needs alot of attention but can be sent back into remission

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I gave Toby metamucil (or any unflavored psyllium) with his food which I soaked and it really helped with keeping the stools soft yet cohesive. Watch the labels there are different agents, not all the same.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts