German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I looked outside to see Riku behind my grape vine, having eaten at least 2 smallish bunches of grapes. To this point I have never seen him eating grapes or noticed any grapes missing, but maybe he finally figured out they were edible. I got worried so went to Google and found some people say that their dogs have eaten a few grapes and have been fine, but I found just enough to start to worry. So the next thing I googled was about inducing vomiting.

Luckily I had a bottle of hydrogen peroxide here, and even more luckily, I had a plastic syringe from when I had a wisdom tooth removed many years ago. I put about 6 teaspoons in him, after 15 minutes nothing, so I repeated (per instructions online), this time with 8 tsp which is closer to what was recommended based on his weight (90 lbs). About 10 minutes after that 2nd dose, he puked up a lot of grapes and the little branch things too, from the shape of the grapes it looked like he gulped most of them (typical dog :)).

Anyways he is doing fine now, I am just so fortunate/lucky I had hydrogen peroxide and a way to inject it into the back of his mouth for him to swallow it. These should definitely be in a doggie first-aid kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,002 Posts
Thank goodness he seems ok. Grapes can be very bad for some dogs, you just do not know until your dog reacts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,912 Posts
I did the same thing when I caught lucy eating some chocolate out of the garbage.

Funny thing is she LOVED the hydrogen peroxide. I put it in a tablespoon and she wouldn't stop licking it.

Worked like a charm and the chocolate was out of her stomach in minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,250 Posts
Very glad all worked out and he's okay!

I have a friend who's sibe recently ate a few pounds of grapes and wound up in the ICU at the e-vet. Very scarey!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
I mix it with parmesan cheese in their bowl.
The first time I ever tried it, it was when one of the dogs ate cat poop (our neighbor likes to bring out an entire bag of litty litter and dump it in the corner of the park :mad:). I'll admit, I was mainly doing it for practice in case of a real emergency... I now know to do it outside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
One article I read said 1 tsp per 10 lbs of bodyweight, and another article said 1 tsp per 5 lbs of bodyweight. I used the 1 tsp/10lbs on the 2nd round to actually get it to work.

And, doing some quick math, I just realized that after the 2nd round, it was as if I had given the full dose at 1 tsp/5lbs in the first place..
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,219 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide works great. Had to give it to mine after she swallowed a good-sized stone. Just kept giving her spoonfuls till it worked.... with a minute in between.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
You can give hydrogen peroxide to a dog to drink to throw up?
Yes but 3% hyrdrogen peroxide!! :)
(Which is 3% hydrogen peroxide and 97% water)
Hydrogen peroxide is actually bleach and while 100% HP is hard to get your hands on normally, in an emergency, always read the label to make sure it's the right kind.
If it's 10% HP, just mix it with distilled water to get the right dilution. If there are any metals in your tap water, the HP could react with it and cause more problems.
It's prbably best to head to the drugstore right now and buy the correct stuff beforehand. ;)
It's in the first aid section and about $1/litre
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top