German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought I'd write something as a warning to all owners of GSD puppies (for that matter any dog). I left my 6.5 month old unsupervised for 20 minutes yesterday. He usually sleeps at that time so I didn't think I needed to watch him. I found him eating his leash....a 5 foot long paracord thick leash was down to 3 feet long. He ate 2 feet of paracord. I called my primary care vet right away. He said to wait and see if he poops it out the next day. I didn't feel good about that answer so I called the emergency hospital. They asked me how long ago did this happen. I told them about 30 mins. They told me to rush to the hospital. Got there and they immediately took him to a room to induce vomiting. He threw it all up. The vet showed me a whole large ziplock bag full of the 2 feet of paracord in bits and pieces. She told me that it was good that I brought him in right away. Any later and it would've moved on to the duodenum and intestines and then possibly clog up and with the worst case scenario - death. Then he would have to go into surgery and I'd have to pay thousands of dollars. (I paid $215 for the visit and the vomit inducing drug.)

So the 2 lessons learned from this incident, 1)if your dog eats something that he's not supposed to...if it's within an hour, rush to the hospital to force it out by vomiting. If it's later than about an hour, it probably moved on from the stomach. Then you're talking xrays, possible surgery, in other words, a lot of money. The other lesson...to all the new puppy owners, always keep an eye on your puppy, no matter how short a time period. If you can't watch your pup, even for a minute, put it in the crate.

·
Registered
16,153 Posts
And learn how to induce vomiting yourself..

Plus buy leather leashes. It wasn't too long ago in my house that a nice all leather, not stitching or metal except for the snap, 6 ft lead was modified to be a collar tab & handle, plus about 5 ft dog treat. Evidently chewed in small enough pieces very quickly. nummy.

Then there was following the advise to, if puppy throws an excitement fit about going for a walk, just pop her in the crate until she calms down. = one, not consumed but modified, easy walker harness.... Yeah ok sure.

On the other hand, back in the day when dogs cruised the neighborhood without a lot of distress or panic, I would be rewarded with baseball gloves (only one I think), many balls and lots of etc. The neighborhood kids, I don't think they learned to pick up their equipment but they learned to check my house for found objects. Not sure if some objects were consumed...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts

Plus buy leather leashes. It wasn't too long ago in my house that a nice all leather, not stitching or metal except for the snap, 6 ft lead was modified to be a collar tab & handle, plus about 5 ft dog treat. Evidently chewed in small enough pieces very quickly. nummy.

Then there was following the advise to, if puppy throws an excitement fit about going for a walk, just pop her in the crate until she calms down. = one, not consumed but modified, easy walker harness.... Yeah ok sure.

On the other hand, back in the day when dogs cruised the neighborhood without a lot of distress or panic, I would be rewarded with baseball gloves (only one I think), many balls and lots of etc. The neighborhood kids, I don't think they learned to pick up their equipment but they learned to check my house for found objects. Not sure if some objects were consumed...
Yup, learn how to induce vomiting yourself. I've unfortunately had to do this this a few times myself.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is there a video in YT or thread here about inducing vomit by yourself? Or a step by step how to guide?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I give my dog a teaspoon of salt to induce vomiting. Within two minutes, your dog will puke if they're around 70lbs. Alternatively, if you think it's a poisonous substance and are worried, you can also provide activated charcoal to help with absorption of said poison until arrival to the vet.

Hydrogen peroxide is another way to induce vomiting, but not everyone always has that on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts