German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I don't have a dog yet. I'm researching the logistics of proper dog care.

When I get a dog, I plan to leave the dog in the crate while I'm at work (~8hrs). I'm a little worried about dog heat stroke.

Currently, I don't leave the AC on in the house (recently bought). I've seen the indoor temperature go up to 88 degrees. I live in Corona, CA and the average summer highs are around mid-90s:

Corona, CA Weather Average

Q: What should be the average/allowable indoor temperature? For puppies? For adult dog?

Thank you for any info.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
When I lived in Florida I kept the AC on 70 all summer long. I think depending on the crate you get, and if the temp gets to 90 itll be even hotter in the crate. I think that would be way too hot for the puppy to have to tolerate.

When you get the puppy, use the AC. maybe set it at like 75 while your at work. Itll cost you a coin or two but your puppy will be happy and you'll have peace of mind. Thats gota be worth something.

I would judge it the same as if I were home, whats comfortable to me will be comfortable to him.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Puppies and older dogs are at higher risk for over heating so you'll need to be careful. I agree with leaving the AC on in the 70's range.
But 8 hours in a crate for puppy is a long time. You may need to consider coming home at lunch to give him breaks or hiring someone to come by and do it. If you go to http://www.fetchpetcare.com/ you can find someone in your area to come and walk him and let him out for aout 45 mins during the day. You can also send him to puppy daycare.

Also school is letting out- maybe there are some high school kids you know who might like to stop by or earn a couple extra bucks?

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
My dogs stay inside when I am at work. They have the same temp during the day as if I were home. Agree with Butch - what is comfortable for me is the same for them.

I live in Columbia, SC. The hottest place on earth!! We have already had temp. in the 100s first week in June.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
I agree with everyone...just wanted to add be sure to put the crate in an area that doesn't get the sun. A nice place away from all windows is best.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Originally Posted By: AnnaRileyMy dogs stay inside when I am at work. They have the same temp during the day as if I were home. Agree with Butch - what is comfortable for me is the same for them.

I live in Columbia, SC. The hottest place on earth!! We have already had temp. in the 100s first week in June.
We even had 101 in Newberry, which GENERALLY
is not as hot as Columbia.

I leave my AC on 80, and the ceiling fan on high in the living room. It's always comfortable, and I generally find Jolene on HER sofa listening to WKDK, which is where I work.

Powell

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply folks!

Yeah, if I get a puppy, I'll have to stop by the house during my lunch break.

At this point, I'm leaning towards a young adult rescue GSD. This will be my first dog. I do have some experience with dog care, my sister has two Pomeranians (very energetic dogs). I hear that any puppy can be a handful, so I rather bypass that developmental stage for now.

Regarding indoor temperature, I'll probably have to set it to ~75-78 to minimize my energy bill.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Originally Posted By: Gabriel007Regarding indoor temperature, I'll probably have to set it to ~75-78 to minimize my energy bill.
What do you keep it at while your there and not wearing a fur coat?

I would at least get a very large wire crate for him/her to allow as much air flow as possible. Maybe set the crate near a ceiling fan.

·
Registered
521 Posts
We leave our a/c @ 80 degrees with the ceiling fan on for Charlie (almost 8 months old)...it seems comfy enough. He loves it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally Posted By: butch33611
What do you keep it at while your there and not wearing a fur coat?

I would at least get a very large wire crate for him/her to allow as much air flow as possible. Maybe set the crate near a ceiling fan.
I'll probably get a wire crate (Leerburg recommends it too) and probably a fan that blows his/her way when needed.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
I don't have central air. In the summer the temps get up in the low 80s in my house and occasionally higher. The dogs are used to it so they are ok. A wire crate is a must though as a Varikennel is way too hot! I do have fans and a waterbed for my older dog.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts