German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for ideas for indoor games to play with our 4 1/2 month old GSD. We have hardwood and tile floors and only one room with a rug, so they have to be more mental stimulation than chase, ball, etc. We play ball outside in a fenced area or on the lawn but on rainy days I need something for him to do!

I've looked up "nose games" on a friend's suggestion and plan to play hide the treat, etc. We also have tug toys. And of course, training - come, sit, down, stay, heel, all good indoors on a rainy day. Anyone have fun games to keep your GSD pup occupied and active on a rainy day when he's cooped up indoors?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
When Cody was a puppy we had a bean bag chair I'd throw a tennis ball into, he'd kinda dive in to get it! He enjoyed that! I'd also toss a toy/ball into our entry hall (some might not like to do that!) to burn off indoor energy, we did that thru adulthood actually! Sounds like you got it pretty covered!

·
Registered
863 Posts
"Find it" Hide treats all over the room/house and tell him to find it. Believe it or not, it can tire him out. In the beginning, let him get a sniff of the treat so he knows what he's looking for and guide him along. Eventually, the minute you say "find it" he should run around sniffing and finding treats. Then when he finds the last one..."no more." Then he knows to stop searching.

·
Super Moderator
5,181 Posts
since you have hardwood floors you can play "catch the bug" and slide a couple of pieces across the floor. My pups loved jumping on the pieces. I also used those rainy days to start teaching skills, like carrying laundry to the washing machine and as well as finding type games. I made a few obstacle courses with furniture, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts