German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to teach Indra to bark as indication but if there is one thing I suck at it is to get my dogs to speak. The only way to get them to bark is when I knock on the wall or the table because they think somebody is at the door. I've tried everything. From Food to howling & barking videos. It just doesn't work.

If I reward her for the barking once I knock on the table wouldn't I reward the behavior to bark at the door instead of the bark itself?

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Mrs.K im with you in this one too, I've tried everything to teach helios the "Speak" command and thus far Helios barks only when someone is outside..

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
i'm in a similar boat..

i want Cody to bark when he thinks someone is outside and he does :) So, when he does I do two things.

- I say "who's there?" that is sort of his speak command now. When he is already barking, I egg him my by "Cody, who's there?" he he gets even more into it. So, now if were home, and NOTHING is going on, I can still say "Cody, who's there?" and he starts barking and runs to the curtain to look and see.

-Praise him when he barks

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I've only had success with teaching a speak command and I saw it on TV show (a local dog/pet training show) that I saw many years ago.

I put my dog in a sit/stay on somthing above the ground, so they can't just creep or walk away. Using food to "tease" the dog into speaking, then giving them the treat. I've had it work in few minutes and I've had it take a few sessions, but once they got it, it worked very well.

I have also put them on a chair to do it if you're training them inside. Anything where they're not "on the ground" so to speak, if that makes any sense. I currently use a short retaining wall in my back yard. It's basically a raised planting bed, and then I stand directly in front of them and block them from lunging or leaving.

I'm not expert and I'm not always up on the latest methods/theories on training, but I've had great luck with this method.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I would perhaps speak with people about forcing an indication she isn't picking up on naturally. Maybe considering something else would be better? That is one of the main reasons I didn't pick barking as elsa's indicator. It just doesn't come naturally on day to day situations.

But perhaps you just need the right technique...which I can't help with lol. But I do know when I picked the pose slap for hers it took 30 seconds to train and she has been pretty darn reliable with it considering she is still a newbie.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
This is one thing I actually know how to train any dog! LOL (I'm quite proud of myself for it actually) if everything else came as naturally to me, I'd be the next Cesar Millan ;)
It's hard to explain... I could put it on YouTube but I'd be embarrassed to make an @$$ of myself...
I have a weird pitch I can do with my voice that when I say something like "woowoowoo" it makes dogs bark along with me... then like any other trick, convert the behavior to be done on command.
I can work the same thing into regular conversations and people think Jax is a genius because he "talks" back to me and answers my questions.

·
Registered
274 Posts
We have trained Nash's indication (barking) by basically teasing him with a toy. I hold him back, he gets teased with the toy, he barks, he gets the toy. Now when he finds people they don't move or reward until he barks. (we worked the indication separately from the long searches for awhile, using run aways)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I personally do not like the bark as an indication if it does not come EXTREMELY naturally. I have found that when the dog is way crazy excited - like when they've found something - that their indication has to be utterly hard-wired in or it will fade or be forgotten in the overdrive of the find. Unless of course, you are doing disaster, in which case the bark is mandatory. What sort of SAR are you doing?? Also, what age is the dog? I have found that teaching "speak" is easier in non-talky dogs when they get older...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can always get my dogs to speak by moving my hand kind of in an alligator bite move while they are kind of already pumped up.They watch my hand and move their mouths the same way. Then I just reinforce it. You could give it a try.
Cathie

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
lol i taught Shasta to speak by barking at her and using one hand to hold the treat and the other to make it look like i'm mocking someone when they're talking as a hand signal. When Shasta did that huff back at me, she would get rewarded. and we went from there until she was actually barking at the hand signal, then i would throw out 'speak' with the signal until i could just say 'speak' if she does the huff thing but doesnt fully bark, she doesnt get a reward unless thats what i want her to do. I've had NO luck teaching Shelby or Riley to 'speak' though. Some dogs just dont get it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
We have trained Nash's indication (barking) by basically teasing him with a toy. I hold him back, he gets teased with the toy, he barks, he gets the toy. Now when he finds people they don't move or reward until he barks. (we worked the indication separately from the long searches for awhile, using run aways)
This is how I have worked with Cy to enforce his bark. What do you use as a training toy? With Cyrus I have had someone hold the tug and make a bunch of noise waving the tug around to get him all worked up. The second he barks..he gets the tug. They play, tug for awhile, then repeat. He wouldn't bark for ANYTHING before. The place I purchased him from had taught him to scratch and dig as an indication but with FEMA he has to bark. Good luck :)

·
Banned
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
That is definitely one way to get her barking. I didn't try to do it that way because she's got way too much prey-drive already. She actually barks when we do the Swissies. The helper plays around with the tug and she gets all worked up and barks. For now we are using the jump-up indicator.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have never been able to get Meika to bark on command (but i didn't really try for long), but I taught my Great Dane to say I love you haha.
I taught the other dogs to bark but recently removed that indicator because they barked to loud.
LOL Now I am not happy because I don't know when someone is approaching my house anymore.I'm never satisfied I guess.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That is definitely one way to get her barking. I didn't try to do it that way because she's got way too much prey-drive already. She actually barks when we do the Swissies. The helper plays around with the tug and she gets all worked up and barks. For now we are using the jump-up indicator.
Cyrus has insane drive and we've had to actually tone down some of his training. When doing barrel work all they do is show him the tug and then go off to get in the barrel...why with most dogs they jump around waving and hollering. If she is that driven then if they present the tug/toy just out of reach while you have her on the end of a leash.. it should be enough to get her to bark and then reward...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think teaching skylar to bark was the most embarrasing thing i've ever done. I had to crawl around on the floor, and jump and her playfully, then she'd play bark at me and i'd mark it and give her a treat. She learned it fast, but after a while of practicing when i said "speak" she'd just open her mouth like she was barking but not make noise, so i had to start again marking in the right place :crazy: Now she knows it though and will bark at people at the door. :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Using a sit and bark indicator is the FEMA standard though and is thoroughly encouraged by all SAR standards. Honestly it is the best and safest way for an air scent dog to indicate their find no matter the situation in my opinion.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Using a sit and bark indicator is the FEMA standard though and is thoroughly encouraged by all SAR standards. Honestly it is the best and safest way for an air scent dog to indicate their find no matter the situation in my opinion.
:thumbsup: Agree

·
Registered
337 Posts
Oops the icon didn't work but you get the idea LOL!!! I would be intimidated with the jump up alert...

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Actually, it's not thoroughly encouraged at all. You should train your dog according to what the environment is that you'll be searching.

Diasaster--absolutely.

Wilderness where the dog can be far out of range in a forest? A sit and bark can be a disaster. I'm curious as to why you think a sit and bark is better than a refind in wilderness SAR? Especially wilderness SAR that is hilly and wooded? Not in the AZ desert.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts