German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is our second visit to the vet. And our 13 week old growled and tried to bite him. In his defense, I would say the vet was rough with him, he entered the room and puppy started backing away from him , ( although he was calmly letting the assistant pet him), the vet pulled him up on to the table with his leash, without taking the time to pet or calm him. Frodo started crying and struggled to get off. The vet held him down and forced his mouth open. Our pup snared and tried to bite. They muzzled him, and held him down. He quietened down as soon as they took him off the table.

This has me really worried. I could see he was terrified and then fought. I did not have a chance to calm him down because well, it is a vet office and they were busy. They needed to get their job done. I just didn't have the experience to know how to deal with the situation.

But the vet said he is clearly showing aggressive tendencies. I asked him how other puppies behaved in these circumstances. And he said most puppies are calm and gentle, they lie down and let the vets do whatever they need to. This must be true because that is how our puppy was for his first visit. But maybe vets also should take the time to calm them a bit rather than reinforce their fear.

How can we correct this? Is it correctable?

Also, urgently need referrals for good behaviorists/trainers in norther New Jersey area(Bergen county).

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Find another vet!! If I was the pup, I would be growling as well being treated like that. If this happens again, step in and be proactive in controlling how your pup is handled.

Once you locate a new vet, you will need to spend time just visiting the office with your pup - several times - and be sure it is good experiences. Have the staff treat, walk around the office, let your pup take the lead on approaching techs, don't force it.

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
What do you mean " the vet pulled him up on to the table with his leash,"? Was he picked up by his leash so he was dangling in the air while choking?

Get a trainer and a new vet.

Before he goes to the new vet for an official visit, take him in weekly for visits, treats, to get weighed. I can tell you that my vet would never treat a puppy in that manner. You can also teach him at home to stand on high objects to help overcome that fear.

Look for a trainer who trains with positive based methods and is familiar with fear. In fact, if I were in NJ, my first phone call would be to Cliff. You can PM him on here. His username is cliffson1

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you mean " the vet pulled him up on to the table with his leash,"? Was he picked up by his leash so he was dangling in the air while choking?

Get a trainer and a new vet.

Before he goes to the new vet for an official visit, take him in weekly for visits, treats, to get weighed. I can tell you that my vet would never treat a puppy in that manner. You can also teach him at home to stand on high objects to help overcome that fear.

Look for a trainer who trains with positive based methods and is familiar with fear. In fact, if I were in NJ, my first phone call would be to Cliff. You can PM him on here. His username is cliffson1
Yes. He picked him up by the leash. I was trying to lure him on to the table using a treat(I usually do this to get him in to our van) but the vet was impatient and dragged him on to it.

Thanks, I will call Cliff. I just spoke to a trainer and he thinks our puppy has issues with people, but I know that we have had plenty of visitors and he is very friendly with some strangers, a bit cautious with others but never fearful.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
the vet pulled him up on to the table with his leash
WHAT! So the dog dangled in the air choking while the vet lifted him off the ground? Why on earth would he not get you to pick him up and put him on the table? And why did you not step in?!?

Frodo started crying and struggled to get off. The vet held him down and forced his mouth open. Our pup snared and tried to bite. They muzzled him, and held him down. He quietened down as soon as they took him off the table.
You let them force and hold your puppy down who was obviously terrified ? I would have walked out of the room with my puppy even if the whole lifting the poor thing off the ground by his leash had gone on (sorry no one treats my dog like that) No wonder poor Frodo growled and tried to bite him!

I did not have a chance to calm him down because well, it is a vet office and they were busy. They needed to get their job done.
My vets is always packed when we go there they are always busy, but they still take it slow and take as much time as they need to make the dog comfortable dont FORCE it to do anything. They take the time to explain things and when Penny was sick I was in the exam room for over an hour speak to the vet, they didnt try to rush me or be rough with my pup because they were busy.

But the vet said he is clearly showing aggressive tendencies. I asked him how other puppies behaved in these circumstances. And he said most puppies are calm and gentle, they lie down and let the vets do whatever they need to. This must be true because that is how our puppy was for his first visit. But maybe vets also should take the time to calm them a bit rather than reinforce their fear.
No he is not showing aggressive tendencies the dog is just over 3 months old for crying out loud, he snarled and tried to bite because he was being trapped and was probably in pain along with being terrified, I dont care most dogs would do the same and they are not aggressive. So its not true most dogs let them do that and they are fine. PFFFT! I call BS on that one! And yes your vet obviously needs to take more time to comfort and calm the dog but why even bother going back?

DO NOT correct the dog for what he just did, could make it worse and there was nothing to correct(other than the vet. PLEASE find another vet!!! Im sure there are other options why subject your puppy to abuse when obviously the pup is terrified for good reason and you clearly witnessed your puppy being harassed?

I agree with others to find a new vet and before next appointment take him there several times to get to know the people and gain confidence there! Ask for references too!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
No. No. No. No. Maybe if the pup is ill. No. No. No. No.

I agree to contact Cliff.

EDT: Vets are for medical advice/treatment. Trainers for for training.

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
Yes. He picked him up by the leash. I was trying to lure him on to the table using a treat(I usually do this to get him in to our van) but the vet was impatient and dragged him on to it.

Thanks, I will call Cliff. I just spoke to a trainer and he thinks our puppy has issues with people, but I know that we have had plenty of visitors and he is very friendly with some strangers, a bit cautious with others but never fearful.

I would call and see if that vet has a boss and let them know what happened and that you won't be back nor will you recommend their practice.

Definitely contact Cliff and get his evaluation on this puppy. It sounds like he vet scared and hurt him if this is the first time you've seen this behavior.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts

Sorry I wouldnt trust this trainer, trainer has not even met the puppy and the puppy could be going through a fear stage and you want to have a trainer come in to correct a behavior that is not there? The dog does not have an issue with people (yet) right now is critical to get him out and socialize if not then you might have an issue with people down the line.. You and the trainer are basing the belief that this 3 month old puppy is having issues with people from on incident that was clearly not the dogs fault but fault of the owner and the vet, if this is the first time he has shown this behavior

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I wouldnt trust this trainer, trainer has not even met the puppy and the puppy could be going through a fear stage and you want to have a trainer come in to correct a behavior that is not there? The dog does not have an issue with people (yet) right now is critical to get him out and socialize if not then you might have an issue with people down the line.. You and the trainer are basing the belief that this 3 month old puppy is having issues with people from on incident that was clearly not the dogs fault but fault of the owner and the vet, if this is the first time he has shown this behavior

No, I am not going with this trainer. I too am surprised that he said this without even meeting the puppy. He did suggest an evaluation and I will find somebody who will(Cliff?).

I am also not correcting the puppy. But I do want to have a trainer teach me how to be more dominant. And how to calm him during times of stress.

As for socialization, we have been doing this(friends coming home, parks, grocery stores, neighbors,etc). But I will do more. I also wish I could find a walking buddy for him.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Yes it's correctable, get new vet ASAP. His treatment of your pup was idiotic. And, when shopping around for a vet's office that is kind and patient, go in with your pup and ask the vet techs if they'll make a fuss over your pup and give him treats so he thinks the vet's is a great place to visit. Please, don't hesitate to FIND ANOTHER VET! :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts