German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many lists online of different tricks to train, or things like AKC Good Citizen which relates to behaviour.

I was wondering if anyone made a list of incremental steps / tricks / behaviours that one can check of, so that it is easy to train methodically and in order.
I only recently learned about how I could train my boy to wait for food, and then use the same wait elsewhere. Also trying to teach him about time, so I can let him know how much time till an event (like food in 15minutes;.... or 30 minutes till we get home....or walk in 10 minutes...) Not sure if its possible, but trying to get him to wait for different times so he gets the connection, since he has 3 meals a day anyway....

Its like a lot of books say to take small steps, and once they are learned combine or build on them to do something harder... so was wondering if anyone made any such path / or flow chart / or (not sure what to call it... but maybe a dependency tree?)..... I figure it would be faster than doing things randomly or figuring things out as I go along... plus I can follow a plan instead of researching every day....

· Registered
1,085 Posts
I think that most anything you teach can be a building block for a more difficult behavior.

You can teach him to sit next to you, then gradually increase the distance between you and the dog to get him to sit, or whatever command he already knows. This is very helpful when your dog is heading for trouble, like going toward a road. Teach him to sit while you keep walking away. This is nice when someone is approaching you and you don't want your dog in the mix. Teach him to sit when he's running.

If he knows to wait by the door, get him to wait in other places. This helps me to get past my dog sometimes and get to the door where the space is narrow in the garage and there is not room for the both of us at the door. I can also ask him to back up and that gives me room, or back up at the door if he is crowding it to see what is going on outside.

Don't overthink it. Teach your dog whatever makes your life with him easier and safer for both of you.

· Administrator
The Nerd Herder
7,587 Posts
What do you want to do with your dog? Figure out the end result you want and work backwards from there.

I suggest you find a club and join.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that most anything you teach can be a building block for a more difficult behavior.

You can teach him to sit next to you, then gradually increase the distance between you and the dog to get him to sit, or whatever command he already knows. This is very helpful when your dog is heading for trouble, like going toward a road. Teach him to sit while you keep walking away. This is nice when someone is approaching you and you don't want your dog in the mix. Teach him to sit when he's running.

If he knows to wait by the door, get him to wait in other places. This helps me to get past my dog sometimes and get to the door where the space is narrow in the garage and there is not room for the both of us at the door. I can also ask him to back up and that gives me room, or back up at the door if he is crowding it to see what is going on outside.

Don't overthink it. Teach your dog whatever makes your life with him easier and safer for both of you.
Yes, makes sense.Thank you 🙏

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What do you want to do with your dog? Figure out the end result you want and work backwards from there.

I suggest you find a club and join.
Great suggestion👍 Mostly I don't have anything in mind, just happy to spend time with him. - I'm happy to do anything that fulfils his needs and ensures he is happy, healthy and having fun. So I guess I was looking to see what other people are doing.

There aren't any clubs where I currently live... and may be moving to a remote area.... where there may not be much of anything... except maybe space / wilderness. Once he is older I am thinking of training him for agility. Before that I was thinking of training him for AKC good citizen... and schutzhund (just the obedience and tracking parts) - I haven't researched this much yet.... At present I am learning about tracking, and doing some nose work. It seems puppy is really smart and understands more than I am aware of. Today I started giving him newspapers to shred in a specific room. After a while he took some out and was headed to another spot outside the room and I said something like "Only in this room buddy" and gestured at the designated room and he immediately turned around and headed back.. I didn't train him for that.. he's constantly learning stuff... so at present I'm just trying to open my eyes... look for ideas... and make sure he is constantly engaged and having fun... just started learning more about dog sports... so maybe Flyball... so trying to also figure out the order in which it would make sense to train him....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts