German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there - I would love some advice.
I've been very conscious of not overfeeding our puppy as I've read that it could increase risk of hip problems, but I think I've been too careful and might have been underfeeding for the last 2 weeks. He is 13 weeks now and I still had him on the under 3 months volume of kibble. I've increased his food to the correct measurements now, by adding a feed midday rather than bulk his current meals.
Is this enough to get him to the right weight or should I give him something extra for a while? Just want to make sure he isn't short of anything! Appreciate any ideas.

·
Super Moderator
32,253 Posts
The most important thing to look at is his overall condition, not a particular volume of food based on his age.

Is he lean but not overly skinny? When viewed from the side is there a tuck up at his abdomen, and a discernible waist when viewed from above? When you run your hands over his ribs, can you feel them without him seeming overly boney? If so, he's at a good weight for his size and eating an appropriate amount of food for now.

Puppies grow quickly and their caloric needs will change a lot during that time, so I like to do a rib check a few times a week. If puppy starts to feel a little chubby, I cut back each meal by a small amount until it feels right again. If the ribs are overly prominent, I increase each meal by a small amount.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts