German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The puppy didnt cry that much when I first got her, it was actually very surprisingly. But it's been 2 weeks and 2 days since I've had her and I've noticed an increase in her crying especially when crated. I suspect it's because as she's bonding with me during the day as time progresses, there's more separation anxiety. She didn't seem to cry when she didn't know me.

Today is particularly bad, she won't stop whining. on and off but usually the past 2 weeks she wouldn't howl and after 5 minutes at most, she'd stop and lay down. Now, she seems more dependent. I spent a few hours today playing with her and what not but it's not any different than any other day.

Anyone experience this? Obviously to give in to her would be counter productive and I'm sure she doesn't have to go to the bathroom cause she was just taken out. I always have my doubt there cause sometimes I feel she may need to go out to pee so I take her out again, sometimes within the same hour. This allows me to do no work and it also reinforces her that when she cries, she goes out. Hard to distinguish when she needs to go. Should I just keep to a time for every 2 hours on the dot? After all, crate training is training her to hold it and have bladder control to a tolerable degree right?

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
How many hours a day and night is she in the crate? Maybe she's in there too much. Is the crate right by you during the day and do you have things in there for her to do? Could be hunger, thirst, boredom (these guys are smart!), or pent up energy... or wanting to just be out to play. Sometimes you've got to risk some pee on the floor so they can be out. :eek: Grim was crated WAY too much today, but I've gotten sicker and sicker... finally got some medication and am feeling not as 'walking dead' but there's no way I could've begun to keep up with him today all day. :( I feel really bad about it, but my wife's done with her current job tomorrow and could not take today off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How many hours a day and night is she in the crate? Maybe she's in there too much. Is the crate right by you during the day and do you have things in there for her to do? Could be hunger, thirst, boredom (these guys are smart!), or pent up energy... or wanting to just be out to play. Sometimes you've got to risk some pee on the floor so they can be out. :eek: Grim was crated WAY too much today, but I've gotten sicker and sicker... finally got some medication and am feeling not as 'walking dead' but there's no way I could've begun to keep up with him today all day. :( I feel really bad about it, but my wife's done with her current job tomorrow and could not take today off.
Hmm, she's in the crate quite a lot but with frequent breaks. I read its a bad idea to give her the run of the house. I did that with the previous puppy and things got out of control quite fast. With Lucky, she's usually in the crate 1.5 hours (2 at most) and she'll be let out for breaks. But this goes on throughout the day cause I work at home and without her in the crate I can't get anything done or any rest. not even to eat or brush my teeth cause the constant supervision that's required when she bites wires, furniture, etc. She's not wild but she bites things and she's curious and can't be left alone for more than a few seconds.

Also being home most of the day, I want to simulate a real 9-5 (but better) so she learns to cope with separation anxiety by herself. I don't want this to be an issue when she's older and doesn't know how to handle being by herself when she's bigger and able to be more destructive. I am working hard to raise a stable dog that can be just fine being alone for hours but wouldn't mind a velcro dog once she overcomes the learning. Kind of sucks cause if she was a bit older where I don't need the constant eyes on her, I can have her in the room with me while I work. But not yet I guess.

The schedule is usually one of my family members takes her out to do business and get some air and run around around 6:30AM. Then I'm home starting around 11:30AM-12PM so until then she's in her long term confinement pen and not crated. Around 11:30 I take her outside, go for a very small walk, let her go potty, get some sun, come inside and play with her with continual attention. After about 1 hour, I crate her. She's in there while i finish my tasks and prepare lunch (I cook lol) and she's out in about 1.5 hours for another break. Play for about 30 minutes and spend time with me inside and outside. sometimes play with flirt pole outside to expend some energy.

Crate again for 1.5-2 hours. Potty break and go outside. Another family member comes home and lets her out and plays for a few minutes.
Dinner time, much needed rest and work. Then I play with her for 1hour or so, roll or bounce the ball, potty break outside.

Crate again. Let out and it's beginning to wind down about night time, goes for potty and a walk. Usually uses bathroom for both and around 10pm is when we try to let her know things are winding down.

I'm up until 2am or so and around 1am I let her out of the crate and let her roam in her pen instead with puppy pads. We can't wake up during the middle of the night to open the crate and take her outside so from around 2am (sometimes 3am) to 6:30am she's in her pen and has pads to go if needed.

I'm not sure if she's being crated too long. I make sure to play and spend time with her. I am hoping that it will address and prevent any potential separation anxiety and teach her to cope being by herself at an early age. She's normally good about it, just today she seemed to whine a lot more. I think it also may be because she's getting closer to me and wants to be where I am. Which is sweet but for her own good, I'll tough it out. It'll be easier on her and me both when her bladder control is better so less crating and also she doesn't consume or chew things around the house. She cries regardless though if I don't give her attention. If I'm with her inside with her tethered to me and Im on the computer, she'll cry cause she has no attention.

Think I'm going about this the right way? So many unavoidable wires, things she can chew and ingest around the house..I also have to add that when you're at home all day and you hear all the whining, it sounds like a lot more than it really is. 5 minutes of whining goes barely unnoticed if i were to work a 9-5 and come home to take puppy breaks, or go run errands etc. but if u endure the whining it seems longer haha

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Well, we upped Grim's crate time when he kept peeing inside 10 minutes after peeing outside because he won't go in his kennel. It did help, but it was temporary. (He doesn't do this anymore) I can tell you that we put his kennel in my daughter's bedroom (there's no room in our bedroom, and with the parrots screaming it's not restful in the living room area and kennel is the only time he sleeps or rests)... she's gone away to college. If I leave the door open so he can see activity, he will whine and expect he's coming out. If I shut the door, he settles right away and only whines to potty or if he needs something. I want to put his kennel in the main room after we move, because I'm looking for a house that has a four season room or something to put the parrots in.

My round about point, LOL, is that if the pup can see you but is in the kennel, this may be why she's whining. Maybe it is just that she wants to be out and be with you and get your attention. I don't know if you can change your schedule at all to have her out more, or if you can tether her to you? Does she do better in the Xpen? I was going to get one of those, but Grim is so... I dunno how to explain it, but I seriously doubt it could contain him. :crazy:

If she is where you can see her, have you offered chewing toys or a bully stick or a stuffed kong while she's in there?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it just a fluke cause today no whining whatsoever. I think she may just be tired cause I played with the flirt pole quite a while or ... she did get her vaccines a few days ago and it might be kicking in making her tired. But she's not lethargic. Or last option, she's just finally getting used to our living schedule.
For some reason she doesn't like the kongs or any peanut butter. She only likes stuffed animals and things that make noise. I think her prey drive is high cause she chased the flirt pole and the ball from day 1. It makes it easier for me cause I don't have to wear myself out running around at her pace haha

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
She is crated a lot and she can see and hear you when you are home, which means she's awake and will have to pee very frequently. An awake puppy will have to pee way more often then a sleeping one. When puppies are awake and active you can expect them to have to potty every 20-30 minutes.

Why can't you take her out at night? Letting her potty in the house can be extremely hard to break later on.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Maybe it just a fluke cause today no whining whatsoever. I think she may just be tired cause I played with the flirt pole quite a while or ... she did get her vaccines a few days ago and it might be kicking in making her tired. But she's not lethargic. Or last option, she's just finally getting used to our living schedule.
For some reason she doesn't like the kongs or any peanut butter. She only likes stuffed animals and things that make noise. I think her prey drive is high cause she chased the flirt pole and the ball from day 1. It makes it easier for me cause I don't have to wear myself out running around at her pace haha
:p LOL! I solved that issue! ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She is crated a lot and she can see and hear you when you are home, which means she's awake and will have to pee very frequently. An awake puppy will have to pee way more often then a sleeping one. When puppies are awake and active you can expect them to have to potty every 20-30 minutes.

Why can't you take her out at night? Letting her potty in the house can be extremely hard to break later on.
Yeah I'm trying to address that. We had an accident today. She doesn't go pee during the night actually cause I sleep around 3am and someone lets her out at 6:30am so at most she's holding for 4 hours. The long stretch is from 6:30am until around 11:30am so I have to find a way to get her out around 9am so. She's in a place where she can probably hear me but the door is shut and she's in her own room. Any way it was much better today. Strange.

:p LOL! I solved that issue! ;)
How did you solve it with your pup?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts