German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had quite a bit of bad weather recently in the central Indiana area. There have been several tornado warnings in my area. I usually don't pay very much attention to them, but this past Saturday it was really looking pretty nasty in the area in which I live, with a tornado warning. Consequently, I took the heeded cautions. But......I wasn't sure which would be safer for my girls. I live in a ranch home, so my option for safety is middle bathroom (no windows), or the hallway. Neither of those areas are big enough to put the girls crates. So am I safer to keep them with me, leashed(which is the option that I chose for Saturdays episode), or would they be safer in their crates with a blanket over them, which would be in my living room?

·
Moderator who has gone to the dogs
14,619 Posts
I remember once having me, one crate and 9 dogs in my 6*9 bathroom. Granted the two huskies were still pups, but man did it get hot in there. I would opt to haul them all in the bathroom as it would be the safest for everyone. When we were locked in there Rayne, KC and Tika hopped in the tub so they would have more room.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
If I was in the line of a tornado, I think I'd crate my dogs. I don't think I could control three panicking dogs. They would probably run around all crazy, and if the house blew down they'd probably run off. That's the last thing I'd need, all my stuff destroyed AND my dogs lost. I used to be really REALLY into meteorology and atmospheric sciences. Maybe things have changed but I remember reading a few times that honestly, if you are hit my an F5 tornado, which wall you are hiding against having any effect is really a crapshoot or luck of the draw. The F-scale is actually based on the damage the tornado does. Not fun to think about. A storm cellar is ideal, if not, a basement. But as far as ranch houses I think it's more important to consider how the dog is going to react and what area is the safest place for the dog, behaviorally. Hypothetically, without a basement or cellar, the safest place would be the smallest, windowless room away from the south and west walls, as close to the interior as possible, but I don't recall ever seeing any research proving you have a better chance, beyond just understanding how the storms works and anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i believe the safest place for you is also the safest place for your dogs. any hit on your house that would tear an interior bathroom apart would likely detroy most of the rest of the house, including your dogs crates in another room. i think the interior bathroom gives everyone the best chance for survival. you could leash them and secure the leashes to you if them running away afterward was a concern.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Very interesting post Liesje.

I'm glad I don't have to worry about tornados here in the NW. If I did need to hunker down for some reason, I think I'd crate my dog and keep him with me.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
We've had a lot of this this year! In 2004 when Hurricane Ivan hit, it was DH, two dogs, me and two cats in a bathroom for hours.

This year, it was me, three cats (two of which hate each other), Duncan and Anna the GSD puppy. It was interesting. And by interesting I mean the 7th layer of ****.

There's no room for crates, but I had them leashed, me a comforter/pillow with one cat in the tub, pups on the floor, one cat hidden behind a toilet and the other just wandering around. I found having puppy chews (like bully sticks) to be a vital part of our survival kit...I can give it to Anna and she ignores the kitties. I put the radio on the toilet, and the lantern in the tub with me and kitty.

We had about two weeks of this at all times of day and night. Ugh! Anna, Dunc and one of the kitties have learned though, if you hear a siren, get to the bathroom!!

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Small interior rooms are great however any item that is loose will become a projectile during a Tornado. i head for the basement when i hear the Tornado warning sirens go off. Great fun carrying a 97lb. coward down the stairs with me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wish we had a basement!!!!! On Saturday, I took one of the long bones (real ones with hollow middles, put a treat and a little peanut butter in them) and the girls were leashed but I didn't leash them too me, will think about that next time. The bones kept them busy for a while, along with being a little calmer because they had something to chew on for a little bit. We had a flashlight with us , but didn't think about a pillow or blanket/but we were by the linen closet, so could have made do.

I do know that the safest place for all of us would be the interior bathroom, smallest room in the house. This last weekend, and tonight again has got me thinking and trying to plan for all of us in the case of something like that in the future.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've always read the bathtub is an ideal spot to hide in if you don't have a storm celler. We've only had one tornado since I've lived here (an F1) and to be honest I didn't realize we'd been hit by one until after the strom was over and we went outside - wow (actually the next street over took a direct hit, our street only had two houses destroyed). After seeing the damage a tornado can do, IMHO a crate isn't safe unless it's placed in a safe room like a cellar or bathroom. But I'd take the Hooligans anywhere I thought was safe for me even if it was cramped.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gayle,

Thank you for that information. I have never really been in an actual tornado, in lots of warnings, that I haven't paid much attention to. And never with the girls. Last summer we had a fairly light summer as far as thunderstorms and tornados go, but are making up for it this summer!

I too had been told and read about the bathroom and bathtub, but with the girls, there certainly wouldn't be too much room in there, if you know what I mean. Figures it's the smallest room in the house!!! LOL But the fact that you have seen the damage that tornados can do and you think that it's not safe in their crates unless the crates are in a safe room, leads me to believe that my gut feeling was right all along. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Gosh you guys, pretty scary stuff, with all my horses, dogs and cats I'd need Noah's Ark! I;m thinking earthquakes just aren't that big a deal anymore!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
IMO: getting in the tub, laying down in a room w/o windows would be the safest place for you. If you could crate teh dogs in the bathroom with you, I'd do that, if they had to be loose, so be it - but they would be leashed. A lot depends on how many dogs you have.

I'd be in the tub, along with my g/f, as cramped as it would be. Dogs would be sitting outside of it. As much as I love my puppy, we come first.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Originally Posted By: c20 and DudleyWhy is the tub a safe place?

I'm out in CA, where I just need to find a doorway for earthquakes.
It's not so much the tub itself that's safest. The tub assumes that it's a full shower type enclosure, like an insert. So something extra beyond just the drywall on a normal wall.

Also the tub and shower walls might protect you from some debris (I say *might* b/c some wind velocities can drive a stick through concrete).

·
Registered
9,796 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Wow, this makes me really glad that I'm not in a tornado area. Not to say we haven't had a warning now and then. This has got be thinking... I feel like people that don't deal with this often don't consider what to do until it's too late. Thanks for forcing me to consider this!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I get in the tub just for space purposes..it gives me somewhere to be with a cat or two, while the dogs are on the floor. We use our bathroom because it's smack dab in the middle of the house and a small room. For some reason, houses in my part of the state don't have basements.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts