German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I finally reached the breeder who I am waiting on a replacement puppy from - see my other thread about that. She let me know that she has a litter currently that I could have a puppy from, but the breeding was an accidental mother/son breeding. The son is a littermate to my dog who is being replaced due to hip dysplasia. So exact same genetics as what she has and then some since they are so closely related. I could have a puppy from that litter, they are still quite young or I can wait until next spring for her next litter. This puppy is to be a potentially breedable bitch so I think if I am able to breed her, the pedigree would scare away a ton of buyers since she would be from a mother/son breeding. My Keeshond is from a half sibling breeding and is dumb as a box of rocks, means well though and is very sweet - but not the brightest bulb. Plus that close tends to bring out the very worst or the very best - hard to say, but she did say that this has been the healthiest litter with zero issues so far. Same dam that lost several puppies in the litter I had wanted one from this past spring.

If I waited till spring I have some other issues I hadn't thought of before - I plan to breed a litter in late January/early February so the puppies would be growing up around the same time I would get my replacement puppy which doesn't make for the most fabulous of timing. I guess I could make it work, but I would rather not bring in a new puppy when I have a litter here - I worry about disease transmission. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid about that.

What is my best option here? Take one of the puppies now and risk losing possible puppy buyers down the road because of the pedigree on her side or wait till spring and bring a puppy in when I might have my own litter on the ground? If I do the second option I may see if I can talk my mother in law into taking the puppy until I have the litter placed into new homes to keep them separate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,243 Posts
No way in heck would I accept an inbred puppy from an oops breeding as a replacement for another pup that had a problem. What kind of breeder is this, anyway?
I agree, I'd cut my losses and go with another breeder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Your other thread, combined with this new info about the "accidental breeding", are big warning signs to me. I'd also try to find a new breeder and steer clear of this one altogether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts
From what I can gather, it seems like you are just starting out your kennel and getting into the breeding game. So if I were you, I would make sure to have the best representations of the breed that I can find to carry out my kennel's vision. I've noticed that strong kennels have solid foundation females and a clear cut vision from the get go. I would want a dog that I could stand behind and be proud to cement into my foundation lines.

Based on your descriptions, this doesn't sound like someone I would want a foundation female from. If I were you, I would cut my losses and find better options elsewhere. Why would you settle for a replacement out of an accidental breeding?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ideally I'd just like to get my money back, but that's not happening. So I have to get a replacement puppy and those two litters are my options at the moment. I don't feel comfortable with a puppy from a mother/son breeding personally, but I have seen pedigrees like that before so maybe that kind of breeding isn't all bad - but my dog has HD and it would be the exact same genes. So I think the risk of HD again is pretty darn high. My options are kind of limited unless I just walked away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
Strictly speaking as a consumer, there's no way I would want a puppy with a pedigree like this puppy will have. I agree with Jane...cut your losses and find a different breeder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts
Why weigh yourself down and experience the same possible issues with this replacement? It's obviously easier for her to give you a replacement out of an inbred accidental litter than from a litter that she had to pay stud fees for or for a planned litter that she would have an easier time selling to new customers. If I was dealing with a breeder like this, I would walk away. Sometimes it's just better to cut your losses and use it as a learning experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
If you are intending to use the puppy to start your own breeding stock, you need to go with your good judgment and do exactly that--walk away. If you still feel comfortable working with this breeder, then you should wait until another acceptable litter is ready...whenever that may be. Personally, I would just walk away, and I definitely wouldn't recommend this breeder to potential customers down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,243 Posts
You may spend more dealing with an inbred pups issues than what you'll lose if you walk away. I sure wouldn't want the heartbreak or disappointment. And certainly wouldn't think of breeding from this genetic match.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,924 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I won't be recommending her to anyone else. I liked her in the very beginning and do like my dog from her, but this whole situation has just gotten me so frustrated. I just feel like any replacement puppy I end up with from her wouldn't be one I would have picked on my own.

Definite learning experience. I might as well just wait and see what next year's litter will be and then go from there.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top