German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs get about an hour to an hour and a half walk a day and a couple of 15 to 30 minute training sessions a day. Other than that, because (I think) it's hot, they lie around and nap. The vet said that Smokey's weight is perfect (hes gained about 4 lbs in the last year) and for Zeeva not to gain any (can't believe she weighs 78 lbs! Combined they both weigh about 15 lbs more than me). Is there such thing as too much inactivity for a dog? How do you know when it's too much?

I've bought to new PetSafe e collars which I've used in the past to let them run amuck in an enclosed park area. I'm thinking about letting them get about 15 to 20 minutes of their crazy off leash time again. I used to be a lot more sane knowing they got this time; it was vet precious for all of us.

Zeeva is afraid of the beep on the e collar so she will stay (and not move) albeit wine and cry when she would be fence fighting if she simply hears the beep or sees the remote in my hand; the collar doesn't even have to be on her. Unconventional, right? Do you see any problems in using an e collar this way???

Smokey is a polar opposite. I found his lowest shock value (the value at which he shakes his head, blinks and sniffs the ground) tried to use the value one below that but it didn't work. Up and up and up we went. He's very defiant when he wants to be. I remember when he saw a squirrel for the first time. His recall failed even at the highest shock. We were luckily in an enclosed area. So, I see potential for failure here. What do you think? Should Smokey not be allowed off leash ever? Why does this happen? Can I prevent it?

Smokey's recall at about 30 ft on a retractable lead is about 70%. He is a husky after all and most husky owners say NEVER to let them off leash. I think him and I both feel constrained by this and we miss our off leash time A LOT.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
My dogs rarely get any off leash time..well besides this morning when two of them escaped and decided that they wanted to play in the street:( That will never happen again. When I get my house they will have more off leash time, but I still want them to get the exercise walking them gives them.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
My dogs get about the same about of activity as yours Zeeva. I know they'd love more but it's all I can do. I try to do more on the weekends because of my guilty conscience. I think it depends on the dog though. Some would do better than others with the same amount of activity.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I'm all for off-leash exercise - is there a dog park you can go to when nobody's around? The temperature must be nicer at 5am too, lol. My puppy hates the heat so he goes swimming for exercise when it's too hot for too much running around, but I don't suppose that's possible for you. I don't know anything about ecollars, so I can't help you there, but maybe Lou Castle's website can give you some ideas? Or PM him with your questions, since he seems very generous with the members here, offering help with the ecollars when asked.

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Each dog is an individual. If they are calm and not stir crazy in between exceed use sessions than you are doing good.

Each if my dogs require a different amount of exercise and I tailor our day to meet their individual needs. Sometimes I have a freer schedule and they get lots more. But some weeks they are lucky to get a 1/2 hour walk. I KNOW when they need more.

Sounds like you are doing a great job!!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts