German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would be a good thread if everyone lists a couple training things that you do inside when the weather is nasty outside.
Today I made a 5" high by 15" x15" box and worked on the dogs swinging their backside while keeping their front stationary, I will also occasionally work on loose leash walking using furniture and walls to keep the dogs close to me.

·
Registered
4,553 Posts
Starting to get a wee bit nippy up north lately.....so I have been training a bit inside as well. Doing the "cover"....my cue for the dog to watch my six from a sitting heel position on my right side....the video posted in here the other day motivated me to do this. Also....doing right leg step aways....dogs waits while I wander away....I tap my left hip with my left hand...dog releases and either heels if I am moving...or sits in left heel position if I am standing still....no verbal cues for this one. Both exercises are basic....I don't know that there is any practical benefit from either of these....but what the heck.....that could be said for numerous obedience skills we've learned together.... I guess...it's just fun to do and the dog seems to enjoy it as much as I do..if not more.

SuperG

·
Registered
16 Posts
We like to hide treats around the house and let Leo search for them. It keeps him occupied and isn't too high energy for inside.

·
Registered
533 Posts
We do the rear end awareness/place exercises like you said where they stand on a bowl and pivots around. Also it's easy to teach tracking articles using a touch command inside. We are going to start teaching holding a dumbbell which will be me sitting on the couch getting her to hold a pvc pipe calm and gently. Some nights I'll put her in the bath room then go hide somewhere in the house and have my husband let her out to find me, it's pretty amusing. We also wrestle a lot in the house. Another thing we do that's not an inside activity but helps when it gets dark outside early is play fetch in the dark with a light up ball.

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
If you have the space, core strengthening exercises are fun. I have a fitpaws peanut for balancing, my dogs like it, even though it is not the most fun, I have to make it fun with position changes and food rewards. Fitpaws has video's out there for more information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts